WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: sizing bullets

Boolit Buddy

sizing bullets

I am wanting to size bullets for my 358 Winchester. I am wanting to do that at .359 or .360. Seems like I remember that you can take a .358 Lee push through sizer and make it larger? I forget. Can someone point me in the right direction for that tutorial? Thanks!

Can't do that with any guarantee of consistent outcome.
    I suggest bump up via powder coating/then size to required final diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking some did it with a dowel/emery cloth and opening it up that way. So you are saying it is hard to do consistently? I looked at ordering a Lee custom, but they want 70 shipped which seems pricey to me....

Boolit Master
    I doubt that you can use a Lee push through sizer as a bump die since there is only a very small portion of the die that contacts the bullet. There is a thread where a lube sizer die is used as a bump die body and is used with a drill press or arbor press.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...simple-swaging

Sorry, misunderstood the process you were looking for.

Try this sticky.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rging+size+die
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 10-31-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I was thinking some did it with a dowel/emery cloth and opening it up that way. So you are saying it is hard to do consistently? I looked at ordering a Lee custom, but they want 70 shipped which seems pricey to me....
    I and others have polished out a few thousandths of diameter on Lee Push Through Sizing Molds. There are threads on the Forum for doing so. Patience and polish/size/measure several times along the way is recommended.

You might also touch base with some of the Sponsors on the site who have done this for others in the past.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I actually found a write-up done by buckshot. I believe I will try it. Thanks!

Different alloys, from the same die, will produce different diameters. Harder makes larger.

NOE makes sizing die bushings in the sizes you are looking for. You need to buy the die body, but once you have that, you can buy bushings for about any size you may need. I use the NOE sizing system, and it is better and cheaper than buying dozens of Lee sizing dies.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

He isn't looking for a bump die, he only wants a larger sizer without the extreme costs.

It is very easy to lap a Lee die larger. I'm sure you have found plenty of threads on how to do that by now.

NOE is an option, but again, expensive. The Lee sizers do appear to have over-run in stock right now at $16 each if that is what you want. Otherwise lapping a .358" is a great way to go.

Go slow, check often. It is easy to go too big. My 358 Win likes .359 cast.
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Can't you find a Lee sizing die in .359 or .360?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    NOE makes sizing die bushings in the sizes you are looking for. You need to buy the die body, but once you have that, you can buy bushings for about any size you may need. I use the NOE sizing system, and it is better and cheaper than buying dozens of Lee sizing dies.
    . This is my suggestion as well. Lil more costly initially. But as you need more sizes allot cheaper then lee full dies.

One plus is you get ability to nose size and a dandy arbor style gas check seater!!

https://youtu.be/84mNH9ekPDs

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

As others have said..simply polishing out the insides of a Lee sizing die to glass smooth usually gets you a thou right there. I generally like a real smooth size die anyway and almost a always 'clean' up the Lee die innards a little. Usually not to open them up..but a little never hurts..

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all, I have a .358 coming, should not take muck to open it a thousandths. And, yes, I will check before I start sanding! As to availability of .359 or .360, if I checked correctly those are custom sized from lee. They want 50 bucks to make it and another 25 to send it. I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. I may consider the NOE if I did many different sizes, but at this point it is just 1. I may do another 1 or 2 in the future, but doubt I will ever cast/size for more than 3-4 different guns. If I had 10+, then I would likely consider the NOE system.

Boolit Bub
    On the Lee web site you can get the breech lock die and punch in .359 or 360 for $16. You have to get the kit for die body. I use them for the odd ball sizes. They work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Go slow, check often. It is easy to go too big. My 358 Win likes .359 cast.
    hc18flyer
    This is good advice, Lee dies are fairly soft-thank goodness- so check often. I polished one and it was pretty quickly done. The hardest part is getting the dowel split evenly.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I wouldn’t use anything coarser than 600 grit to start with. Use wet/ dry sanpaper with oil. Just for reference, a piece of loose leaf paper measures .004”.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!