MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trail Boss

I still have not tried any Trail Boss. Local reloading shops say they have it on order but the distributor has none to ship.

On the other hand I find that Herco and Green Dot are great powders for 45 Colt. Both fill the case more than half way due to their bulkiness and both are quite accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    IIRC, Trail Boss is an Aussie manufactured powder. If so that could help explain its lack of availability. They, like many others, are having issues left over from a couple of years ago.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    ADI has ceased production of Trail Boss ..........now,as Hodgdon owns the name and probably the formula,the ball would be in their court as to sourcing the powder elsewhere .So...I suggest Hodgdon would be better placed to answer............Years ago,there was a story going around that Trail Boss was actually the cordite stored underwater at the old Randwick navy depot ,and once the cordite was gone ,that was it.

Boolit Master
    Lately I have been trying Alliant Clay Dot instead of trail boss. The big benefit of trial boss is that it takes up lots of space in the case-- Clay dot doesn't take up quite as much space, but it does take more space than most any other powder. Clay dot has a similar burn rate to Hodgden Clays-- but they are not the same (so you need to approach loads carefully, as there doesn't seem to be much load data out there for it yet).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    The equivalents have been discontinued for a lot of years ...Du Pont Bulk Smokeless,and Curtiss and Harveys Smokeless Diamond............Not any kind of suggestion,but I see lots of utube vids on how to make your own nitro powder.

Boolit Master
    Been working with the New Nitro-100NF...Darn Bulky...wicked Fast tho..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12