MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Saeco mold ID

Boolit Mold

Saeco mold ID

I acquired a saeco 4 cavity mold at a gun show a few years ago. The mold has the number 050 on it. The bullets are rounded and have 1 lube groove. They are weighing mostly 132 grains on average and the diameter of .358 and the length are .610.
    My lyman cast handbook doesn't show any bullet like this or weight. Im assuming it is for a 38 caliber. I just need some load data and OAL.

Boolit Buddy
    Older SAECO molds had the number stamped on the sprue plate, not the blocks.
    More recent REDDING/SAECO molds are stamped on the blocks as such, including the mold number.

So if the "050" is on the sprue plate, your plate could have been swapped from a different 4 cavity mold.
    050 is a very common .38 wadcutter design, originating with the Hensley & Gibbs #50.

Perhaps you can identify what you have by going to the Redding website
    and looking for it on their mold list, that includes sketch drawings of the boolits they offer.

Boolit Bub
    I have a couple of SAECO mold brochures that came in the boxes... they show all the different styles and specs of the day... there is no 050 number... the closest is 052-148gr WCbb and 053-148gr WC... then the mold numbers jump to 3xx... nothing is listed in the 13x gr range and the only round nose are #390 & #391 at 158gr ea.

Perhaps it is an older mold for something like a 38 Long or other older 38 cartridge.

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 cavity 9mm Saeco block that the description matches 64115 124 gr Rnbb. Bullet weight and diameter may be different due to rhe alloy the OP may be using.
    Might be a block for the 38 Super.