MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Tried the Large Pistol Primers - they work, now the next question

Boolit Mold

Tried the Large Pistol Primers - they work, now the next question

I reloaded some 30-30 with 100gr plinker bullets and used regular large pistol primers. They all fired with absolutely no problem.

Now here's the next question. I stopped at my LGS and all they had for primers were military large rifle primers (CCI #34) or Remington Large Pistol Magnum primers. I didn't buy either because I was concerned about them being too hot for a 30-30 load.

I'm thinking the magnum large pistol primers will work fine considering the standard large pistol primers worked without issue but the jury is still out on the #34 military LRPs.

What say ye?

Banned

The 30-30 takes a large Rifle Primer............the #34 is a Large Rifle Primer, right. Should be fine.

Boolit Master

If I saw #34 primers at a reasonable price I would take all I could get; my supply is being reduced over time as they have not been available at my stores for over two years.

#34 primers cup metal is slightly thicker to meet mil spec requirements. Unless your 30-30 has a weak hammer fall/firing pin strike - should be no problem at all.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Yeah #34 is no hotter, just a harder cup for military semi autos, supposedly more resistant to slam fires due to the violence of the feed cycle.

Personally, I would buy magnums if it were all that were available, but I only load light loads so there would be no danger of me being anywhere near max. That's just me though.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    If I saw #34 primers at a reasonable price I would take all I could get; my supply is being reduced over time as they have not been available at my stores for over two years.

#34 primers cup metal is slightly thicker to meet mil spec requirements. Unless your 30-30 has a weak hammer fall/firing pin strike - should be no problem at all.
    The only thing I didn't like was the price was what I consider outrageous - $19 for a sleeve of 100 so that works out to $190 for a brick. I'll start using a flintlock or recycle my spent primers with match heads before I pay that. I'm hoping the price comes down. I just got an email from Targetsports, they have Federal and Winchester small pistol primers in stock for $85/1000, it's still more than twice as much as they should be but it's better than $190. I've got plenty of them on hand so I think I'm going to weather the storm for my handgun ammo.

Boolit Master
    Either will work just fine in your 30-30 with light loads. Now if you decide to kick it up some, then you may want to do that SLOWLY. Price ??? If you need and want to play ?
    I do not see prices coming down.
    Demorats don't want you to have guns and ammo.
    Powder and primers will be in short supply for a very long time to come. JMO.

Boolit Master
    Large Pistol Primers are the hardest by far to find on the market right now. If you have them, try to conserve them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Skip View Post
    The only thing I didn't like was the price was what I consider outrageous - $19 for a sleeve of 100 so that works out to $190 for a brick. I'll start using a flintlock or recycle my spent primers with match heads before I pay that. I'm hoping the price comes down. I just got an email from Targetsports, they have Federal and Winchester small pistol primers in stock for $85/1000, it's still more than twice as much as they should be but it's better than $190. I've got plenty of them on hand so I think I'm going to weather the storm for my handgun ammo.
    You should of bought a brick or two of the SPP.
    Then swap with someone for LRP.
    That's exactly what I did at the last gunshow, since SPP are harder to find and are easier to swap.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The military grade primers are a little harder to strike.
    Make sure your firing pin is good & clean and travels freely, they'll do fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen any large primers (pistol or rifle) for over a year. Quite a few small pistol and rifle. Just this week our Sportsman's got in a few thousand Fed SP match primers. I didn't need any so didn't look at price.

Boolit Buddy
    For semi-auto guns with floating firing pins: use "military" primers to reduce the chance of slam fires. (looking at you, SKS)
    For light(er) rifle loads, low(er) pressure and velocities: pistol primers work fine until you find its pressure limit.
    For pistol loads, under max loads: what ever primer you have will probably work. Don't push +p+ and then change to a rifle primer.
    Each of the above topics is well covered on this site and others, but in the end you will need to keep pressures under the KaBoom/primer rupture level, and that is YOUR responsibility when hand-loading.
    Different primers have different properties. The question is whether its enough of a difference to make a difference. Your chronograph can give you a lot of clues when doing these experiments.

Boolit Master

$190 a brick, PASS!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    The military primers I've seen were $160/1,000. I've looked at my AR bolts and the firing pin can't reach the primer until the bolt is almost locked yet I've seen guys that will only use military primers in their ARs. WUWT?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    The military primers I've seen were $160/1,000.
    In a semi auto, even a military type, they are sort of a solution looking for a problem.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    In a semi auto, even a military type, they are sort of a solution looking for a problem.
    NEVER had a problem loading standard Large Rifle in ANY of my semi's in my 58 years of reloading!

I don't see how you would think a LPM would be hotter than a LR primer.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Can't find LPP anywhere, using LRP in pistol, cups a little taller and thicker but if you have enough hammer, they work fine. These are target loads not max loads