Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 1879 Rolling Block Sight

Boolit Buddy

1879 Rolling Block Sight

Hello all, I recently purchased a Rolling Block chambered in .43 Spanish. I have been working with the rifle and have it shooting good groups, well what I think is good groups. The rifle shoots 14 inches high at 100 yards. I am wanting to install a tang sight more like a creedmore sight on the rifle. I understand it will have to be drilled and tapped but what do I need to look for in a tang sight for this rifle?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I’d give a call to Montana Vintage Arms.

Boolit Grand Master

Get the proper base, have it drilled and tapped in the right location and your good to go.

For the sights, I would go with a soule style that has windage in its base. Height is determined by how far you want to shoot the rifle; I believe the MVAs come in 4 heights. The other recommendation is to put a hadley style eye cup on it. You will also want a front globe preferably with a level. Windage up front is nice but not needed with the soule rear sight, unless your shooting long range. Set the sights as close to mechanical zero as possible. When setting up get the rifle zeroed then put up a tall target and raise the rear to your proposed 1000 yd zero and shoot a group this will show how square the staff is any wind change can then be adjusted out.

When switching to a tang sight, I'd buy one with the correct 1.937" Remington spacing. Might as well match Rem. spacing, even if it's a military Roller. I'd also purchase a globe front sight, as the tang sight will let you get adjustment to be on target, but a globe sight with it will help keep group sizes smaller over the poor blade they have.