MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 2 new lube sizers, a Cramer (OLD) and Saeco (slightly newer)

Boolit Buddy

2 new lube sizers, a Cramer (OLD) and Saeco (slightly newer)

Well guys
    I like some help/information about the 2 new (to me) lube sizers,
    both came with NO top punch and dies.

1. Is a Cramer Brand name (North Hollywood Ca), it has a cap headed Allen screw that holds the die in? Die flange hole is .875" dia by .100" deep with a .780" die body hole and is approx. 1.600" long and has a .655" exit hole at the bottom of the die casting holder.

The top punch hole is threaded (unknown size yet) and is approx, .250"? in dia and is threaded with a tapered cone at the bottom of the threaded section.

There is a threaded screw for table clamping and or the 2 bolt down holding method, and is left handed operation, which I'll change, if it works for my pellet sizing press.

2. Is a Saeco Brand (Carpinteria Ca), this press almost looks like the Cramer press list above, with a die body hole of .785" dia with a casting body length of 1.330" long and end in a .675" dia hole.

The top punch hole is threaded (unknown size yet) and is approx, .275"? in dia and is threaded with a tapered cone at the bottom of the threaded section. This press is also left handed operation, and has the 2 bolt hold down method.

I am going thru the casting tool section, (pg 10, so far) and I have not found any information on either of these press's.

I can see the Cramer hold the sizing die in via the cap screw, but I think the Saeco works the same as my OLD Herters sizer, it has a nut that holds the die in?

I need to know the top punch thread diameter and if it possible to find a sizing die for both of them? So I can make a die body for pellet sizing etc.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Don

If your Saeco looks like this, then the current top punches and dies will fit:

https://www.redding-reloading.com/do...6pageflyer.pdf

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    The Cramer "North Hollywood", was bought out by Saeco and should use the same dies and top punch. I believe the only difference is the way the sizer is retained. The Cramer also had a piece that rotated to seat gas checks. Check old Ebay auctions for pictures. I have one some where in the garage that I rebuilt then put away.

Boolit Buddy

Fred
    Thanks for the information,
    my press is Black colored and has a left hand operation,
    and has the gas check seater as shown in the photo.

I could not find the top punch thread diameter listed.
    By any chance do you know this thread diameter?

Thanks,
    Don

Boolit Buddy

Can anyone provide the thread dimensions/spec's for the top punch, for a Cramer or Saeco lube sizer press?

I have 2 different Saeco presses that have different sizes for the threaded hole for the top punch.

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Master
    In my stash of top punches, I have one with a flat end, a hexagon body and a threaded stub on the top, where it presumably is turned into a lubesizer with a small wrench. The screw is 0.308” across the threads, and 24 tpi.

My SAECO lubrisizer is an old Carpinteria model, and uses a small, flat-head screw at the back of the socket to hold the die in. Redding dies fit and work, although there is no way to put a nut on the threaded bottom, like Redding’s system.

The top punch socket is smooth, and holds Lyman, Ideal and RCBS top punches with the usual set screw at the front. They’re a little short, but they work.

I don’t know what the threaded top punch goes to, but it might be for a later Cramer or Redding. Just a FYI. You might turn or file down a piece of dowel and screw it into the top punch socket, turn it out and measure the threads impressed into it. You might get an approximate diameter, too, if the fit is close.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Bent Ramrod

On the .308" measurement, I'll check it out, that may be close, the one bit of info I got was the thread diameter is 5/16x24tpi = .312".

I checked the shop and I don't have a 5/16" x 24 tpi bolt in any form,
    I'll have to go to the Hardware store for a sample.

I just finish reading/scanning over 350 + pg's of information relating to Cramer/Saeco lube sizers, without finding ANY information relating to the top punch thread size for either press Brand.

I did find some information that the bottom of the die is threaded to 11/16 x 24 tpi.

This will help when I make my pellet sizer die for each press etc.

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Buddy

And just for the record, the thread size for these press's top punch is 5/16x24tpi.

Now I can start making the sizing dies I need, using NOE sizing bushings.
    Don