MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy/Oak Lotion With Gunpowder?

Boolit Master
    The one time I was exposed to poison ivy, and knew it immediately, I headed straight to the shop, grabbed a can of aerosol brake cleaner and doused the area thoroughly. It worked.

Rubbing alcohol works for me.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    My Mom once explained to me how they made Lye Soap when she was a girl . After rendering out the hog lard leftover from a hog killing (Boucherie' ) they would mix wood ash from the fire into the hot hog lard and stir it with a wood paddle to make Lye Soap .... I didn't say so ... but I thought she was telling me a tall story ...
    ...it didn't sound right that soap came from hot hog lard and wood ashes from a fire !
    Gary
    We made several bars of soap like that not long ago but used Snowflake Lard. Worked ok. Now we make castille soap in a crockpot for all uses. Bath, washing clothes (although Bronners concentrated works better), dishes etc
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    The one time I was exposed to poison ivy, and knew it immediately, I headed straight to the shop, grabbed a can of aerosol brake cleaner and doused the area thoroughly. It worked.
    Since oil is supposed to clean it off i wonder if WD40 or Ballistol would be better?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

I am in the immune crowd... friend walks by stinging nettle he breaks out in a rash... I can pull the stuff without gloves... got into poison ivy at his house, the tip of a leaf touched his arm and his entire arm broke out in hives and a blister where the contact was. I was pulling car parts off the junk car and had brushed up against it all afternoon... we had to run the part thru the parts washer before he could handle them! I washed down with dish soap and hot water(strips skin oils so have lotion handy!) and was fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I saved a link somewhere where the poster claims that if you use Lava soap and a washrag with hot water and a 5-10 minute scrub down you eliminate the oils that cause the irritation. The kicker is that you must use it within 8 hours of contact.
    I use Dawn dish soap and cold water. It works well if you get to it within an hour. Once I used method on my leg and did not take off my shoes and socks before doing so. It rinsed the poison ivy oils down to the socks and I had a ring of poison ivy rash around my ankle from it. I use cold water because I heard warm water will open the pours and make it easier for the poison ivy oils to enter the skin.

I've used straight river water without soap before. It's not as effective but turns what would a bad rash into something very mild.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I have had multiple really poison ivy/oak and not a good time, by the time I tried everything I could read on internet and try, it was blistering and spreading badly then went to see doctor, prednesone and some others finally took care of it. Advise go to doctor sooner rather than later. I never had it for many years being in woods then got it twice and blisters and spreads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use B12 carb cleaner. Takes all the oils off the skin. Works for killing chiggers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Works for killing chiggers too.
    Hey! In our modern and enlightened times, we can't say that any more.
    Now we have to refer to them as cheegroes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    I use B12 carb cleaner. Takes all the oils off the skin. Works for killing chiggers too.
    What's chiggers? Just kidding I know what they are but I've never had them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Poison ivy works on me like it's a drive-in science fiction movie so I learned to wash it off with soap and water with rubbing alcohol in the suds and follow up with hydrogen peroxide to oxidize the remnant.
    Success!

Boolit Master
    ive had awful bad experience with poison ivy and poison oak getting spread around with bar of soap in shower.. it was not pretty for a couple weeks.
    but maybe its just me. if I just look at a healthy poison ivy vine I break out in rash.
    in all reality I deal with a lot of it around the farm. there are some poison ivy vines climbing up trees in my forest that are more than inch in diameter. I only cut trees for firewood in cold weather wearing long sleeve shirt and gloves and leave all the cut vines in the woods.
    the oils can and will spread with soap and water if your not very careful.
    ive found the best way to clean off poison ivy or poison oak is with paper towels and 90% alcohol. use piece of alcohol soaked paper towel only once washing effected area . then get new square of alcohol soaked paper towel and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm more of a Benadryl guy when I get a rash.

By the time the milk sours, it might be one of those Grandma remedies,
    like a big spoonful of castor oil--- the cure is worse than the ailment.
    Caster oil is a good cough medicine,, Drink enough and You will be afraid to cough !

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if I just look at a healthy poison ivy vine I break out in rash.
    I can see a picture of it and start to itch.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Dad and I would get into poison ivy - one time we got into poison sumac while repairing fences and just a few little blisters of that and we both ended up with it in our blood stream and it spread all over our bodies. Nasty stuff. The doctor told us to use Feld Naptha soap and they had the pharmacist make up a large bottle of zinc oscine solution. My mother would literally paint it on with cotton and it would sooth the itch. I don't remember the doctor prescribing any medication (oral) and after about a week and a half the blisters and the swelling from the poison sumac subsided and cleared up. We always kept a bottle of the zinc oxide solution on hand after that and it worked well on the poison ivy - also used calamine lotion.

Be interesting to hear what the OPs solution had in it, from someone who has a chemistry background, that would make it work to clear up the blisters and the itching.

Boolit Buddy
    Find some jewel weed and mash it up and put the green slime from the stem on the
    poison ivy. It should clear it up fast. I was at a vou a few years ago and they had mowed the fields
    for the campers. You guessed it, they mowed the poison ivy down and everyone got poison ivy.
    So I went out and found some jewel weed and my wife cooked it down in olive oil and mixed a
    little beeswax with it, when cooled it was like a green slime paste wax. The guys with the bad
    blisters rubbed it on and a couple of hours later the itching stopped, The next day they could
    peel off the dead skin. I don't know if you can find jewel weed everywhere, as it only around
    in the spring. It grows wild in the swamp by my house. So when it gets up and mature I pick
    a bunch and boil it down in olive oil with beeswax and store it in the freezer for future use.
    I don't know how long it will keep as I haven't had to use any since the vou.
    webfoot10

I've never met anyone immune to Bullnettle, though. The seeds are delicious- picking them is the tricky part!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    TechNu scrub works great for me. I’ve tried everything short of a blowtorch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Hey! In our modern and enlightened times, we can't say that any more.
    Now we have to refer to them as cheegroes.
    Not QUITE right... To be completely politically correct (barf), they should be called "Chafrican Americans".
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

My former boss installed Cellulose Insulation
    It has Boric Acid in it to control insects ( I think )

But we found Boric Acid , either the insulation or a powdered form
    Would quickly stop a poison ivy outbreak

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast