Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An homage to Bill

Boolit Master

An homage to Bill

My good friend Bill, Onceabull, has passed. He left us on Thursday, October 13th, after a short battle with cancer.
    On September 12 around 11 PM, he fell in his kitchen, and I didn't find him until 4 PM the next day when I went over
    to help him fix the deadbolt on his front door. He refused to go with the EMTs, to the hospital, but I convinced him
    to go the next day. After running lots of tests, the doctors determined that Bill had stage 4 lung cancer, and it
    had spread to his lymph nodes, liver, and brain. He had a 1 1/2" tumor at the back of his head, up against his brain
    stem. This is what caused his fall and inability to get himself up.
    His daughter wanted to help take care of him, and arranged for his transport from Boise, on the 27th of September,
    to her home in Georgia. She arranged for a nursing service to help her care for him in her home. Unfortunately,
    his condition deteriorated much faster than anyone anticipated, and his struggle ended just before 9 PM EST on the 13th.
    I have lots of stories, and great memories, of adventures with Bill. He was a walking
    encyclopedia of knowledge about firearms, and my mentor in all such matters. We did a lot of gun shows together,
    and had coffee at Barnes and Noble, where we solved the world's problems with others of a like mind. He invited me
    to NCBS, and introduced me to a group of people who have become lifelong friends, and we hunted together many times.
    In his last days, one of his biggest concerns was to make sure that I knew all of his secret hunting spots! The cancer
    was too fast...
    With all of that, his lasting legacy for me, will be the way he took care of his wonderful wife after she was diagnosed
    with Alzheimer's. It was so hard for him to care for her at home once she became bedridden. I asked him why he didn't
    have her care taken over by a facility, and he told me that he had promised her that he would never leave her side, or
    send her to a home, and he was a man of his word. He loved her intensely, and kept his vow of "'til death do us part".

Bill, I'm going to miss you........

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

So sorry for your loss, obssd1958 (and a wonderful tribute for Bill/onceabull!).

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a true friend, a gentleman and a man of honor, they are few and far between. It is always a great loss. I will pray for God's grace for the family and friends.

Boolit Buddy

It is always hard to lose a good friend. Cherish the great moments you had with this wonderful man.

Boolit Master

I enjoyed his postings. You have given a fine tribute to him, makes me wish I had known him. My condolences to you and his family.

James

Boolit Grand Master
    Same here. Liked his posting and you did a good job of letting us know more about a good man. Tough losing a good friend.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very sorry for your loss.
    The hardest part about growing old, are all the friends that go before us.
    He is in a better place.

He sounds like a great man. I'm sorry for your loss.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Boolit Bub
    Wonderful story, and great memories for you!

It sounds like Bill had a great friendship with you Sir!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry for your loss. Hold the memories of the good time dearly.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Bill was a great guy with more stories and experiences than anyone should have. Professional in his dealings and well respected in his work he was as down home as anyone else could imagine. We were probably shirttail relatives as his mothers name and mine are the same. It did not get me better than "Value Pricing" on any deal we did. RIP Bill,you've earned it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Truly a treasure lost. my condolence.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

So sorry for your loss, may he rest well…
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master
    I am so sorry for your loss
    it is extremely hard to lose a close friend
    prayers to his family and yours
    god bless
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

There are no words to fill that hole in your heart, which will be with you till your dying day. Love is like that for a Good Time Buddy (and Bad), Mentor, Confidant, and Friend. His loss will come 'at you' from time to time, unexpectedly, in memoriam, in perpetuity. That hurt never heals. Be kind to yourself. Love life. Cherish the memories. Grieve - deeply. Thank God every day for blessing you with such a friend on this Earth.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Sorry for your loss. A true friend is hard to find.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

You did a fine job in describing him. Very sorry you lost a true friend. Prayers sent.

Boolit Master
    Be thankful you had this man for your friend.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Share memories if you have them. He and I shared the awards for pistol and rifle speed competitions at NCBS. He once offered me a good deal on an Encore barrel in .405 W caliber which I almost took. He and his wife are together again on the other side. Good people like him are so rare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast