RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 32-40 load question

Boolit Master

32-40 load question

I'm back with another 32-40 question. I think I know the answer but I would like to hear what others are doing for my problem. So here is the problem, when loading cast in the 32-40 case and taking the bell out of the case mouth after seating the bullet there is no problem, but when loading formed 30-30 cases my seat/crimp die doesn't come close to closing the case mouth bell. The 32-40 case is trimmed to 2.120" and the formed 30-30 case is only 2.050" and is .070" shorter than my 32-40 cases. The dies I'm using are RCBS Cowboy dies.

I'm thinking I need to shorten the seating die in order to take the bell out of a formed 30-30 case and that should not hurt the function of the die for either case. The other option would be finding a different seat/crimp die that would work for both.

I have read a lot of discussion here about the 32-40 and have not seen this discussed. I would like to hear what you guys are doing to load the reformed 30-30 cases. Thanks in advance for your comments.

wcp

Need to back off the bullet seater about two full turns, and then turn the seating die down a little at a time until it removes the bell. Then check bullet seating depth and adjust as needed.
    This is just like you did to setup the .32-40 brass, but every time you change case length you'll have to reset the seating die. That's why all my brass is the same length, so I don't have to keep readjusting my dies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Need to back off the bullet seater about two full turns, and then turn the seating die down a little at a time until it removes the bell. Then check bullet seating depth and adjust as needed.
    This is just like you did to setup the .32-40 brass, but every time you change case length you'll have to reset the seating die. That's why all my brass is the same length, so I don't have to keep readjusting my dies.
    Thanks for the reply. What you described is my normal way of loading cast bullets. I should have mentioned that I can adjust my seating die to touch the shell holder and still not touch the case bell on a 30-30 case. I don't know if the RCBS Cowboy seating die is longer than a normal 32-40 seating die or not. I have not run into this situation in my 50 years of reloading cast bullets. I may just take the seating die to the lathe and turn off 50 thousands and keep trying the die until I get the length to take the bell out of the 30-30 case. I would not load and mix the 2 different case at the same time anyway.

wcp

You might try a .32 Winchester Special seating die.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You could get a custom expander from Buffalo Arms so you are belling the case far less. I have a few of them. They are available with a step in them so you can get the right expander/bell in one step. eg. 0.321"/0.324"

I never crimp for single shots and I never remove the "bell" on any of them as part of my reloading steps. I just expand the case mouth so that it's just barely large enough to start the bullet. Any removing of the bell is done by my thumb as I insert the bullet into the chamber.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    could try the lee crimp die ?