Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hopkins and Allen 932

Boolit Grand Master

Hopkins and Allen 932

I just picked up a n old Hopkins and Allen 932 that was converted from Rimfire to Centerfire by J. W. (Doc) Carlson. The barrel is a bright shiny 10 and the trigger is a sweet 3.5 pounds. The action is as tight as new and there is still 50% of the original case on the receiver. The gun is chambered for short or long 32 Smith and Wesson and at 50 feet will put 3 shorts into a ragged hole offhand. I am currently looking for loads and a casr bullet of from 70 to 80 or so grains. If anyone shoots an old one like this any input would be welcome. I am not looking for anything but a rabbit and squirrel gun here, no high velocity loads. I would like to find a tang sight at some time as my eyes are fading and the open sights are iffy for me.

It sounds like you have already shot it some to say how well it shoots. Is this with factory loaded ammo ?
    I have a rifle in 32 S&W long and a homemade chamber adapter in 32 S&W long and neither is very finicky about the load they shoot. If you have most any powder from bullseye to unique and are loading the “long” version start with 2.5 grs. and work up until the accuracy is as good as you state it is. I would not bother with 32 S&W as it is hardly the equal of a weak pistol but the long version can be a good small game cartridge in a rifle and the H&A 932 is capable of medium pressure loadings so that is what I would try to work up to. Something like a 80 gr. @ 1000 fps would be safe and a good game getter.

Jedman

I have the same 932 that I converted to centerfire and 32 Long myself. Though the bore is not very good.
    I use 2.5 grs of Titegroup with a 98 gr lead pill. It isn't too bad, but shot fairly close range.

Boolit Buddy
    pictures please