Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Heavy Wadcutter

Boolit Master

Heavy Wadcutter

What’s the conventional wisdom on heavy wadcutters? Accurate has a 170grain .38cal wadcutter mold. Are there notable pros & cons?

Boolit Master
    What is your intended use for this boolit?

That will determine how responses are made.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    170 gr yields 6 fewer bullets per pound of lead over a 148 wc. That adds up pretty quickly if you’re trying to be frugal with the galena.

Boolit Master

Wadcutters tend to be paper punches for target shooting...that said... Paper is marked just as good with lower grains as higher grains. Ie..hole gonna be the same size.

If your target shooting..no way I'd go with heavy for caliber wadcutters.

Boolit Master

I use a NOE mould that makes 148 or 170 with pins or without. The 148 is definitely more accurate than the 170.

Boolit Master
    I’ll guess you’re looking at 36-170W.
    Pro:
    Lots of penetration if driven fast. Maybe for a hog hunter?
    Could be a self defense tumbler if driven slow.

Con:
    It’s long boolit with a full meplat so it needs lots of spin to stabilize it. Will definitely work better in the 14” twist Colts or 16” Rugers than a 18.75” Smith and Wesson.

As noted above, uses more lead per boolit than 140-150s.

Pro or Con depending:
    It takes up lots of case capacity.
    That’s a pro if you’re after consistent ignition using small charges in a 357 Magnum, Maximum or 360 DW etc…
    That’s a Con if you’re after high velocity in a short case like 38 Colt.

My take is it’s a special use boolit. If you don’t have the special use, you probably won’t be happy with it.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

170 is definitely accurate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221015_092651_resized.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	305652

Boolit Grand Master

Take a Look at NOE 360-160-WC PB (360432) .

It's different , based on the discontinued Lyman #358432 but the front drving band is improved on the NOE ,

It is the most accurate boolit in all my 38 special and 357 magnum revolvers .
    The 170 gr. is on the edge of too heavy and not quite as accurate .
    My home 38 Special stays loaded with them .
    Target , mid-range and heavy 38 loads ... this boolit covers all the bases .
    Since it is so near standard 158 gr. weight the fixed sighted revolvers I have all shoot POA = POI ... which is very nice ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

What he said ^

Long heavy 38 wadcutters up to 210 grains have been the gold standard for bowling pin shooting. A fair hit and the pin scoots straight back off the table.It doesn't need velocity to do the job. It will also serious hurt anybody that gets hit with one.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Is a 210 grain .38cal wadcutter mold a custom job?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Is a 210 grain .38cal wadcutter mold a custom job?
    You could take a 200 grain Lyman and turn it around and start low in 357. A 200 is long and you run out of case so it needs to stick out. The Lee book has a load for a 200 Lyman with 2400 powder I use in 38 special. I have a 1 in 14'' twist barrel for these. I may load some backwards tomorrow just to test.

Boolit Master

Tom at Accuratemolds can alter any bullet in his catalog for you or he can do a drawing of a completely new bullet for you and make the mold subject to your approval. If you like the bullet in his catalog but want it lighter just ask. He can do his magic and have a drawing to you in no time. I have about a dozen molds from Accurate and I don't recall one that I ordered directly from the catalog. I tweaked every one to meet what I wanted. The quality of Tom's molds is as good as any. Contact him with your wants and I think I know you will be very pleased.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

The 200 grain RCBS design, Veral Smith says otherwise, but anyay. I have worn out three RCBS cast iron GC moulds, which they replaced, then found a cast iron plain base mould for that bullet, made by Saeco, for my PC process. I shoot the bullet in two of my ARs in the 358 MGP, which is basically a rimless 357 Herrett, runs 2,500 fps. Plus my 357 Super Mags and 357 Merrill or XL guns.

Below is a 10 shot group from a 10" Ruger SRM 357 Super Mag at 50 yards with open sights in Creedmore. Using 357 Mag brass (pre 357 Super Mag brass) and 15 grains of H-110 under a 200 RCBS, taper crimped at the crimping groove w 205 M primers.
    I used the 357 Python with 38 Special and 357 brass for six years before the 357 Super Mag brass and guns came out, Winchester Brass / Brass so it will fit in the chambers and the cylinder length. Same load I use in my 94 C Marlin, what was that, oh a 357.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 97E678F3-EC32-4000-9B46-2B1703091797.jpeg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If you're going to get a heavy wadcutter mold make it one with adjustable length and interchangeable tips.