RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Looking at Henry BB 45 Colt in 20 inch and have questions

Boolit Buddy

Looking at Henry BB 45 Colt in 20 inch and have questions

I have casted Lee 230 RNFP TL bullets in WW, and 255 RNFP non TL in WW and have the following powders on hand. Unique, Bullseye, H110, H6 LilGun and thats about it. I have TL the bullets for the Ruger 5 1/2 Blackhawk with good results, but very limited shooting years ago. Question I have is I have been looking at 8 to 8.5 grains of Unique for both bullets but unsure of TL for the rifle? I have been looking at purchasing a RCBS Lube-A-Matic for years, but have not done it yet. I have TL everything I have ever casted. I will say though the only problems with leading have been in 9mm, which may have been a fit problem instead of lube issue. I have no desire to PC at this time, but I am looking serious at the Lube-a-Matic due to maybe pushing the bullets faster than 1,000fps out of the rifle. Also I have cases and primers for 45 but no primers for 357 mag which was my first choice for a lever action. I do prefer the big 45 for protection and woods walking over the 357. I want the gun for target practice at 50 to 75 yards, possible 100 yards depending on how it shoots. The gun will also be used for personal protection, the reason for big fast bullets. I have saw that the Henry BB cannot go over 300g bullets and that may push it? At my age and work schedule, hunting is out of the question. Have not bought the gun yet, so have no idea what size to use, but I am guessing .452 or .454. So do you all think about this mess I am in?

Moderator Emeritus

I would call Henry and ask the question about the bore since you dont have the gun to slug.....I asked for my 357 carbine and they were wonderful to deal with!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    You may want to look into powder coating boolits, I have the Henry BB and don't get leading with my boolits driven close to 1400 fps using A2400. I use the Lee 255 RFP and size to .452 after PC and get great accuracy. Unique loads will be slower but still give good velocities for hunting.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master

I've used tumble lubing with success in both Marlin and Henry rifles. 255 grain Lee (as cast) /8.5 gr. Unique. From a self defense standpoint, unless they are hiding behind the refrigerator the Lee/Unique combination will work just fine. Good luck on your purchase.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

You can get into PC a lot cheaper than some fancy lube machine.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    You can get into PC a lot cheaper than some fancy lube machine.
    Very true.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thanks for the comments on PC, and I may consider it if the 45/45/10 doesnt work out. I have the Lee sizers already so that would not be an added expense. Dont have a toaster oven to use, but I know I could pick up one on the cheap. I am trying to find out who shoots anything larger than 255g RNFP in the Henry? I would think the 255g would take care of business but still wondering how large it will handle. I have a single shot 45/70 and cast for it, and I am also looking at the Henry 45-70X. I may have to find who sells a small amount of PC to try it out.

Boolit Buddy

Go to our "Vendor" section and check out "Smoke 4320". Get a pound of your choice of color, a Cool Whip container, maybe a few Airsoft BB's and a cheap convection oven and you're off to the races. I've never used 45/45/10 but I know I'd be reluctant to gum up the innards of my Henry BB with the original Lee goo. I admit Alox works but I've always disliked the stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I actually have some Smoke's sample packs somewhere around here from several years ago, but never used them. How many 255g bullets do you think a pound of powder would do?

Try BLL first. Cheap/easy and works great. 2 coats for anything up to 1500 fps. Basically LLA and Ludmark liquid floor wax. No cooking, just mix and stir. A few drops/50, tumble and let dry.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ncmn View Post
    I actually have some Smoke's sample packs somewhere around here from several years ago, but never used them. How many 255g bullets do you think a pound of powder would do?
    I can give you a guess.....maybe 4-5000... A lot anyways!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I loaded up some 250 JHP, and some 230 RNFP lubed with 45/45/10 and 255 RNFP lubed with 45/45/10 for testing if the BB arrives at the homestead. If not, all will shoot fine in the Ruger Blackhawk. I did order 1 pound of powder from Smoke to try it out next time. Now I have to go back to the furnace to cast some more 255 just in case.

Just another question, has anyone on here had trouble shooting cast out of the Henry? Thanks

Boolit Buddy

I can't answer your question specifically for the .45 Colt but my .357's in single shot and lever do real well with cast bullets. The .44 mag single is a little more picky on loads it likes. If a Colt in Big Boy blued carbine shows up at LGS and it has a halfway decent trigger pull....

Boolit Master
    One thing to make sure is run a dummy round through they have to be seated deep enough or they will not run through. I have several Henry made rifles they all have to have things seated correctly. The crimp groove is not the determining factor the rifle is.

That 45 Colt is dandy cartridge and strong action it can take some heavy loads but work them up get what is the most accurate and enjoy that gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    One thing to make sure is run a dummy round through they have to be seated deep enough or they will not run through. I have several Henry made rifles they all have to have things seated correctly. The crimp groove is not the determining factor the rifle is.

That 45 Colt is dandy cartridge and strong action it can take some heavy loads but work them up get what is the most accurate and enjoy that gun.
    Thank you, and I have read that it is all related to length not bullet? But what do I know, I have not been able to get back to the LGS yet due to work. I have been loading under the 1.600 and all RNFP designed bullets. I hope to have the rifle by Friday, but we will see. I would really like to use the Lee 255gr RNFP and if at all possible the 300gr RNFP for protection. I doubt it will chamber the 300gr but it would be nice if it did.
    Last edited by ncmn; 10-19-2022 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncmn View Post
    Thank you, and I have read that it is all related to length not bullet? But what do I know, I have not been a get back to the LGS yet due to work. I have been loading under the 1.600 and RNFP designed bullets. I hope to have the rifle by Friday, but we will see. I would really like to use the Lee 255gr RNFP and if at all possible the 300gr RNFP for protection. I doubt it will chamber the 300gr but it would be nice if it did.
    Depending on bullet design, but it should chamber the 300's.
    I've run some 300 gr. pills through my 44 BBB with no issues.
    Also some 280 gr. through the 41 BBS.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    I bought a Henry BB-X in 45 LC a month ago. I have had a Ruger 45LC Blackhawk for a number of years. The Henry has fed smoothly and fired accurately all of the loads that I have used in the Ruger from 200 gr. to 265 gr. I, too, am just tumble lubing the boolits and sizing to .452. The COAL matches factory loads for all of the loads. Although a work in progress for the Henry, my target loads for the Ruger are the Lee RF 200's (drop for me at 215 gr) using Bullseye (5.8 gr). For my semi-serious "walking around" loads during bear season I use the Lee 250's (drop at 265 gr for me) using Red Dot ( don't recall the Red Dot charge at the moment). Both loads were chronographed at about 1050.

Son has the BB classic in 45 colt with a Skinner sight on it. There's a decent pause between shooting and the bullet hitting the plate at 150yds. He wants to use it for deer hunting this year so we've been looking at loads with a little more shock to them as the deer getting off of the property is a concern.

Boolit Buddy
    Well guys a short update, Smoke's powder came in, and I had an old Black&Decker toaster oven ready to go to the dump. I put about 60 rounds of 230gr RNFP in the tub, and put about a tablespoon of powder in there. Went to shaking and baking, the time was 20 minutes at about 400 or at least that is what it said it was. Rounds came out very good for a first timer!! I sized them next, and man what a difference in sizing, no mess, no fuss and cant even tell where coating came off. Very pleased with the results, and you guys were right, I should have tried this years ago. Not going to be too happy though until I shoot them and see what a difference it makes. I baked a few more rounds tonight of the 255gr and a few 300gr. LGS still have the Henry in stock, and going to make visit tomorrow to make my final decision on it. They also have a 44 mag but I do not reload for it or have a pistol to go with it. I am convinced that 45 Colt is the way to go for mild to wild loads. I know the Ruger will take it, not sure if the Henry or myself can LOL. Takes for the help. When I get the rounds cooled down I will try a post some beginner pictures of the coated rounds.
    Last edited by ncmn; 10-22-2022 at 08:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

We started the PC in a small way with cast in our 375 H&Hs. Started with 270 grainers GC cast of WW at 1800 fps and worked up.
    Got to 2250 FPS and no leading.. That was our goal as that was our fun, all purpose load. Next time north going to keep going up FPS ladder until the accuracy goes away.. right now we get 2-2.5" at 100 yards.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.