Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin musings

Wisconsin musings

We've been up here for a couple of days and this is a beautiful state. I have noticed that;
    People are very friendly- but they talk funny.
    I haven't seen a single dead deer on the highways.
    I'm having Jalapeno withdrawal.
    This cool wet weather is restoring my soul.
    Everyone and their dog apparently grows corn here.
    The fall colors rival upstate New York.
    We are staying in Waupun, we may drive over so my wife can see a Great Lake. Right now we are driving up to Marshfield to visit our friends mothers grave site and leave flowers.
    I'm going to smuggle a bucket of apples that I picked back to Texas. These are so tasty!
    Salute to CB members from Wisconsin!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Reminds me of people from Boston.
    Their accent is so hard, you'd think they had a different word than we do for everything.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Get you some cheese curds. They grow them up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Get you some cheese curds. )
    Oh yeah.
    I used to work with a guy from up there some place.
    I'd never seen them before and he'd bring a bunch back for us. Heck, I could just about live on 'em.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    We've been up here for a couple of days and this is a beautiful state. I have noticed that;
    I haven't seen a single dead deer on the highways.
    I'm having Jalapeno withdrawal.
    This cool wet weather is restoring my soul.
    Everyone and their dog apparently grows corn here.
    The fall colors rival upstate New York.
    We are staying in Waupun, we may drive over so my wife can see a Great Lake. Right now we are driving up to Marshfield to visit our friends mothers grave site and leave flowers.
    I'm going to smuggle a bucket of apples that I picked back to Texas. These are so tasty!
    Salute to CB members from Wisconsin!

We all know Texans don’t talk funny.
    Prepare to be amazed when you see one of the Great Lakes. I grew up on what I thought was a big lake in Washington. I went to Lake Superior while visiting Minnesota a couple years ago. Mind blown.

Boolit Master
    Ant that big only about 2000 ft deep and 30 miles across, and real cold even in the middle of summer. Full wet suit to dive even in middle of summer.
    Anything on the bottom does not detreate, too cold, body's have washed up that were gone for many, many years, were putrefied, no deuteration. I have a friend that went missing in that lake may be 20 years or so ago, while smelting, some day he may still turn up?? People don't know that there is like 30 kilometer's deep of magma under that land up there from a super volcano, in prehistoric times.

Boolit Buddy
    Hope your visit is good. People are usually friendly and outgoing especially if you are in local small towns like you are staying. There are plenty of deer and yes they do get hit by cars quite often. You just are visiting during a cold rainy couple of days. If you visit one of the great lakes "Lake Michigan" you should visit Sheboygan or Manitowoc/Two Rivers, it doesn't really give you actual feel if you take a boat and go out on great lake, especially if it is windy and high seas. Been on the great lakes for many years during really rough weather when you can't see over the top of the next wave, this will humble you in the fall time when it is especially windy and rough.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Life's not complete without a visit to Hurley . . . . used to be a wild place at one time. Then you could slip across the border to God's Country . . . the UP of Michigan!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve been there goose hunting… you’re in a really small town buddy. lol… No accent here on the southwest corner. Waupaun reminds me of Mayberry… until you drive by the state prison. You’re probably about two and a half hours from me. This is the first time in probably 30 years I’ve seen early fall colors like this. Normally it goes from 70° one day to 20 and we get cheated out of the leaf changes. They just dry up and fall off without turning color.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-13-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I lived for a few years in NH when I was little. Thought everyone else talked funny when Dad was transferred. Went back 50 years later and my wife just looked at me and asked what they were saying, told her I understood every word, brought back memories.
    Wife and I went thru WI and really enjoyed ourselves. Hit so many cheese shops and vineyards all over the state. Don't know how much weight I gained from the food. Texas by God, there was a place next to Superior, about midpoint in the state that had Jalapeno Cheese curds. Little bar/grill. Best cheese curds I had the whole trip. Another place had homemade corned beef hash with big hunks of the corned beef. Once I got home, I had to work hard to made my corned beef hash as good as that stuff was. Need to go back some day, then head over to the UP and see Michigan. On my bucket list

Boolit Master

Better not stay too long. It will be soon getting way to cold up there for this boy.

Boolit Buddy
    If you make it to Manitowoc check out the maritime museum and tour the WWII U.S. sub (USS Cobia).

Absolutely on the cheese curds! Our friend brings them back with her every trip.
    I went to the LGS- an Ace Hardware store!
    Within minutes the two young men behind the counter were quizzing me about Texas deer. We showed each other pics on our phones and noted how much bigger bodywise the Northern deer are. Mine won on antlers, though. They had a great selection of guns- I handled a Ruger 45-70 lever action- nice but the laminated stock isn't me.
    I asked about primers......crickets.
    I did buy a nice Benchmade drop point fixed blade knife for my daughter's birthday.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Better not stay too long. It will be soon getting way to cold up there for this boy.
    It don't get cold up here, just a figment of you imagination. I have been in cold where a strike Anyware match won't light because it's too cold, or you gas lighter freezes and won't light or ceresin freezes, alcohol gets thick, then you have cold, Through another log in the stove. Cold land warm people.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    It don't get cold up here, just a figment of you imagination. I have been in cold where a strike Anyware match won't light because it's too cold, or you gas lighter freezes and won't light or ceresin freezes, alcohol gets thick, then you have cold, Through another log in the stove. Cold land warm people.
    My friend, that is why you are there, and I am here.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    It don't get cold up here, just a figment of you imagination.
    Oh nooo,,, that wouldn't work for me.

It reminds me of a old Marine I used to know. He'd spent all his tour in the Carolinas, the Philippines, and Bangladesh.
    But as a kid, he'd been up to the unexplored Norther territories a time or two.
    And he had no desire to go back either.

He was one of those guys that was always 'almost' in trouble for something.
    The SgtMaj called him in one day and said,
    "Corporal S. I see here in your Service record that you don't have an Artic Service ribbon----- yet".

All the blood ran out of his face, and he replied,
    "Oh no Sir Sergeant Major,,,,, you don't understand..... Cpl. S. is a warm weather Marine".

The SgtMaj was not impressed.
    Next stop: Norway--- in Jan. for a few weeks of cold weather survival training above the Artic Circle.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-14-2022 at 01:51 AM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what it is, but some places just don't sell spicy food at all. You ask for hot sauce, and they point you to redhot or something super basic. Thankfully that isn't the case everywhere. You should have a piggly wiggly around you somewhere. I know what you are thinking, but they will have some good hot peppers and hot sauce.

Yes, there is no mistaking the midwest accent. Wisconsin and Michigan is particularly thick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh nooo,,, that wouldn't work for me.

It reminds me of a old Marine I used to know. He'd spent all his tour in the Carolinas, the Philippines, and Bangladesh.
    But as a kid, he'd been up to the unexplored Norther territories a time or two.
    And he had no desire to go back either.

He was one of those guys that was always 'almost' in trouble for something.
    The SgtMaj called him in one day and said,
    "Corporal S. I see here in your Service record that you don't have an Artic Service ribbon yet".

All the blood ran out of his face, and he replied, "Sergeant Major, you don't understand. Cpl. S. is a warm weather Marine".

The SgtMaj was not impressed.
    Next stop: Norway--- in Jan. for a few weeks of cold weather survival training above the Artic Circle.
    for a few weeks of cold weather survival training above the Artic Circle. Just like old home week - loved it. Still do.
    Just too old and broken to run with the dogs anymore.

Boolit Grand Master
    yes we have a great state just stay away from Madison and Milwaukee
    full of lib's
    get some maple syrup and stop by Osseo and get a big apple pie
    Best
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

If you're a beer drinker, try some Spotted Cow, great with walleye.