Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Stump grinder

Boolit Master

Stump grinder

Looking into buying a small homeowner sized stump grinder in the $2k range. From the looks of it the big “home improvement” stores have limited choices and the DK2 seems to be the common model of choice. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Detail-K2-G...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Update** my buying choices are unfortunately limited to Lowes and Home Depot…***

Rentals were also considered, around here the rental for a week about equals the cost of buying one… thought of that also
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 10-11-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Boolit Master

I would look in to renting one unless I had a lasting need to own one.

Boolit Master
    I would look into Dr. Fields tools. I have there brush hog. Great machine.

Boolit Master
    Stump grinders are pretty cheap used..........around here the pro s seem to have yards full of them.......they buy a new one whenever an engine wears out..............they are hard on engines.....cold start,five minutes at max revs,shut down .

Boolit Grand Master

If your where you can do it you might consider burning it out.
    start out one weekend drilling a bunch of holes in it straight down
    soak with motor oil diesel fuel mix and cover well. each day or so soak again
    the next weekend build a fire on it with charcoal briquettes. Use a shop vac for a blower.
    A 8" long 3/8" drill works good and cut the stump off as close to ground level as possible.

You can set your smelting pot up over and clean up some lead while your burning it out

Boolit Master
    Amazon is selling potassium nitrate again. I bought some to rot stumps without damaging neighboring plants. Any leftovers could be gunpowder.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If your where you can do it you might consider burning it out.
    start out one weekend drilling a bunch of holes in it straight down
    soak with motor oil diesel fuel mix and cover well. each day or so soak again
    the next weekend build a fire on it with charcoal briquettes. Use a shop vac for a blower.
    A 8" long 3/8" drill works good and cut the stump off as close to ground level as possible.

You can set your smelting pot up over and clean up some lead while your burning it out
    I have done this twice, and it works great. It is obviously more time consuming, but it costs virtually nothing except your time. My son and I made a bit of a game out of it and the grunt work went easier because of that. Digging around the stump to expose it helps immensely.

One thing to be careful about however, is that the roots of the stump will burn as well to some degree or another. If you have a tree that is situated close to your house or shop, it isn’t impossible that roots snake under the building. Secondary burns in forest fires are often caused by roots burning over to other trees. Just be aware, the last thing on earth you want is to have something burning under your house!
    Otony

Boolit Master

2K I'd find a used pro model then sell it after I was done.

Check your local state or town crews you may have one. Make a deal for a side job for a few hundred bucks. Know what I mean? Capeesh.
    Last edited by Geezer in NH; 10-11-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had a relatively small stump, about 18" dia. to remove. Tried ther burning out trick, wasn't too effective. A crew was going down our road, drilling for some high speed cable. Struck a conversation with the manager, and jokingly I asked to borrow their small backhoe. I was really surprised when he said they would dig the stump out for me. The next day , all three guys came over and it took them less than ten minutes to dig out the stump and dispose of it.
    I was extremely thankful and told them so, and they didn't even ask for any kind of payment!

Boolit Buddy

I rent the big track drive one from home depot for $300/day. 10-12 stumps in one day is not a back breaker.

Boolit Master

I just took down a large tree in our front yard. I burned the stump out/down. I drilled holes, filled with gasoline, piled branches and let it burn/smolder for 3 days.

I can't imagine those small stump grinders at Lowes are effective or long lived. Plus they are not cheap. If I really needed to grind some stumps, I'd get a PTO grinder and run it off the tractor, or I'd rent one which would be cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master
    Stump grinders are fine but then you have to deal with the roots
    I have had 2 ground up but the roots keep showing up
    I don't know where your problem stump is but it my be easier to rent
    a mini excavator or skid steer and dig it out, JMT.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    I had 7 (IIRC) stumps ground out by a contractor who does that kind of work. Cost was $500. It took less than 2 hours. The machine he used is a 60 HP diesel that costs north of $60k. I could have rented a unit, but most are too under powered.

If you have any hardwood stumps and/or large ones, be prepared to spend a lot of time grinding with the less than 15 HP units.

I have a 40 HP tractor and looked at buying a PTO powered unit but decided it was not cost effective.

Whatever you buy needs to be stored and maintained. Sometimes it is not worth it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    When ever I have a stump to be removed there is a chemical that kills the roots of the tree. I get it at the farm store. Put on stump and in a few weeks no more will grow. Then grind out the stump.

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!
    I have a DR stump grinder. It works great for what I would call homeowner use. If you were trying to make a living using it, you would get something bigger on day two. It takes time but it gets the job done. I’ve done about 12 big stumps and close to a hundred small ones. The small ones are mostly Morrow’s honeysuckle roots, which I am trying to eradicate. When I’m done with it, I will get well over half my cost back selling it.
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.

Boolit Master
    How many/big stumps are you doing?

My experience this past summer was with 3 blue spruce stumps. The smallest was about 10”, the biggest was 16”. I rented a grinder @$300 a day. It took more time to pick up and return the grinder than to do the stumps. I returned it in less than an hour and a half and was charged $150. If you only need to do a few stumps I’d seriously consider renting.

Boolit Buddy
    I've always just used worn out chains on my saw for stumps. Cut a bunch of waffle patterns in them at ground level. Pour copious anounts of diesel on em. Let soak and then burn them.

Boolit Master
    Update, Its a done deal The K2 was ordered and will be delivered to my door next week.

I forgot the most important part- Mama approved and even highly encouraged the acquisition

To answer a couple of questions-
    At last count there were about 10-15 stumps to remove this go around with more to come on the property. One is a 26+ base that may be generational grinding job
    I have been down the rental research route- all our local "rental" places want a $300 delivery fee.
    Burning out is not a good option in my area and I don't have the time to monitor an active fire.
    My only attempt at the chemical route failed miserably- its now rotting faster naturally than with the chemical (don't remember which one)

I figure if i get my yard done and have it for future use its worth the investment and as stated once I'm done I can always sell it...