Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: October Flintlick, Montana Fall

October Flintlick, Montana Fall

Another fine video from Denny, do enjoy ...

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The weather was perfect, and we had a good turn out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    the video was first class!!

Moderator Emeritus
    Great video!

Boolit Master
    Loved it!

I have enjoyed shooting muzzleloaders for a very long time but after watching that video I'm beginning to worry that the use of the traditional muzzleloader is going to disappear as few younger people seem to be interested. When some of us started a group/club in the 60's the average age of the members was probably 40 or slightly under and we had several youngsters under age 20. The majority of the group in the video appear to be seasoned citizen's like myself. Young folks seem to be drifting away from anything to do with the outdoors and are only interested in social media and game playing. There are a few that still shoot and hunt but I'm afraid that our life style will disappear within a generation. I hope I'm wrong.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Loved it!

I have enjoyed shooting muzzleloaders for a very long time but after watching that video I'm beginning to worry that the use of the traditional muzzleloader is going to disappear as few younger people seem to be interested. When some of us started a group/club in the 60's the average age of the members was probably 40 or slightly under and we had several youngsters under age 20. The majority of the group in the video appear to be seasoned citizen's like myself. Young folks seem to be drifting away from anything to do with the outdoors and are only interested in social media and game playing. There are a few that still shoot and hunt but I'm afraid that our life style will disappear within a generation. I hope I'm wrong.
    We do have some younger members who were shooting a youth competition elsewhere this weekend. Young shooters are a definite concern, however at the bigger summer shoots in this area, the younger crowd are very well represented. Keeping involved with 4H and Scout groups has helped keep the numbers a bit better there, than in some areas. Some of the young ones have built their own rifles, are doing blacksmithing, tanning, other related crafts.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    We do have some younger members who were shooting a youth competition elsewhere this weekend. Young shooters are a definite concern, however at the bigger summer shoots in this area, the younger crowd are very well represented. Keeping involved with 4H and Scout groups has helped keep the numbers a bit better there, than in some areas. Some of the young ones have built their own rifles, are doing blacksmithing, tanning, other related crafts.
    That is welcome news. Around here if it's not an AR it rarely shows up at our range. If I'm making smoke the only reaction I get are guys turning up their noses at the smoke and smell. Although recently I've been shooting my 12 bore rifle getting ready for elk season and one guy actually came over and asked what it was and was amazed at the recoil. Another guy walked over and asked "what are you shooting? It sounds like a 458".

Keep those kids interested.

EH
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    GREAT video - thanks for sharing! Enjoyed watching it several times!

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    That is welcome news. Around here if it's not an AR it rarely shows up at our range. If I'm making smoke the only reaction I get are guys turning up their noses at the smoke and smell. Although recently I've been shooting my 12 bore rifle getting ready for elk season and one guy actually came over and asked what it was and was amazed at the recoil. Another guy walked over and asked "what are you shooting? It sounds like a 458".

Keep those kids interested.

EH
    I've often been the only one shooting a ML at my local range. However, if anyone talks to me they're always curious and want to know more about what I'm shooting. One female range officer a couple years ago started asking a bunch of questions and I could tell she was very interested so I asked if she wanted to shoot my simple Kentucky caplock. She replied in the affirmative and the grin on her face afterwards was priceless!

Thanks for sharing the video also!

Stuart

Boolit Grand Master

Loved it!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

The concern about young shooters is great. If you want to try and get more young shooters involved, check your area and see if there is a "Project Appleseed" class going on. Here in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, the club I belong to sponsors a couple a year. The person in charge loves having someone come out and demo a period correct firearm. Most of the classes are father child groups. The history lesson that they give is very interesting. Plus, they have practical shooting with the classses using .22 rimfire rifles.

Here is a link to their interactive map: https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    The concern about young shooters is great. If you want to try and get more young shooters involved, check your area and see if there is a "Project Appleseed" class going on. Here in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, the club I belong to sponsors a couple a year. The person in charge loves having someone come out and demo a period correct firearm. Most of the classes are father child groups. The history lesson that they give is very interesting. Plus, they have practical shooting with the classses using .22 rimfire rifles.

Here is a link to their interactive map: https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/
    I was involved with Appleseed for a number of years. They present a well organized process. I ended up putting together a Rev War Militia outfit and gave the First Strike so garbed and had my Fusil de Chasse smoothbore as part of the ensemble.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I was involved with Appleseed for a number of years. They present a well organized process. I ended up putting together a Rev War Militia outfit and gave the First Strike so garbed and had my Fusil de Chasse smoothbore as part of the ensemble.
    I am not directly involved but make myself available when they hold an event at the club I belong to.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.