MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s y’all’s favorite 44 special loads?

Thanks for sharing.

I have had better accuracy with .430 bullets than .431 so far. Which is fine by me.

I too like Glenn's articles finding them easy to read and straight forward unlike some writers. Have gleaned lots of good stuff from him regarding several calibers.

I’ve not seen Glenn’s articles. Don’t suppose one of y’all has an easy to find link? I’m not particularly adept at navigating the lasc website.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Frbksguy View Post
    Hey thank! I ain’t seen that. I am looking at getting some loads worked up for my lee 429-200-rf. Provided my beagling of the mould works. It dropped small when I tested it. Looks like it might be a good all around plinker. And I was thinking using it for 45 auto duplication would a good all around carry and woods cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    An Accurate clone of the original ideal 429421 and a correct charge of power pistol. AWESOME

Boolit Master

My .44Spl loads have always been on the lighter side. I've used a lot of Unique under a #429478, 5.3grs to be exact.
    Since Titegroup came out some 30+yrs ago, I've shot that same 212gr (My alloy) bullet over 4.0grs of same. It's done very well in My Colt SAA's, sized .428dia Accuracy is not as good as it once. But then neither is My eyesight nor My hands.
    I use the #429478 in My M624 - 3" bbl, but unsized. Accuracy is under 2.5" at 50ft.
    My Dad shot the OLD #425352? in his New Service Target. Sorry can't remember the powder charge of Unique.

I also shoot a whole lot of #42798 in the SAA's. They are always cast up and waiting for a case full of powder.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I load for two .44 magnums, a Smith 629 Mt. gun and a 5 1/2” Ruger Bisley. For lighter loads in both I seem to always gravitate back to 240 to 250 grain semi-wad cutters and 7.5 grains of Unique.

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot to mention this is in .44 Special cases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    I load for two .44 magnums, a Smith 629 Mt. gun and a 5 1/2” Ruger Bisley. For lighter loads in both I seem to always gravitate back to 240 to 250 grain semi-wad cutters and 7.5 grains of Unique.
    I really do not consider 7.5 grains of Unique under a 240 grain swc as a light load. But there ain't any grizzly bears down here either. With my pet load of 6.8 grains of Unique under a cast 240 grain swc, it is comfortable to shoot and is quite accurate, and I can shoot it all day if I want to.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Food for thought on Safety first and The Skeeter loads:
    Many look for 44 Spec loadings me included, and the Skeeter load is a good one, but I agree with Fryell that load is to much for the smaller 44 special revolvers like the Smith 696 L frame, CA Bulldogs and earlier revolvers from Smith and even Colts. While not a magnum load it is quite stout meaning some will perhaps disagree but just keep in mind it's your gun, your hand and your face, not theirs so why damage any? Skeeter loads are great for the Smith N frame, Ruger BH and the newer strong single action Colt and Freedom Arms but to much for Uberti's and other clones. For all those unsure, just be certian to know what gun your 44 Spec Revolver is chambered in, what the design pressures and limitations are before choosing any recommended loads. Fryell gives good info on the 44 Spec, just suggesting here all those unsure read through it..Brian Perce also gives very good info concerning this case, loadings and pressures.

Boolit Buddy
    I certainly agree, and often use much lighter Bullseye loads for practice.

I don’t see any need for anything over standard 44 special for plinking and self defense. It’s ballistics are somewhat better than 45 automatic. So I think broadside shots on deer would be fine. Not huge deer maybe. That said. I’m using this gun for carry, for plinking, hunting, everything In between.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 10-15-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I don’t see any need for anything over standard 44 special for plinking and self defense. It’s ballistics are somewhat better than 45 automatic. So I think broadside shots on deer would be fine. Not huge deer maybe. That said. I’m using this gun for carry, for plinking, hunting, everything I’m between.
    I agree. In my humble opinion, and at least here in Arkansas, it appears to me that a fairly soft lead alloy bullet .430" in diameter and weighing 240 grains and moving along at 894 fps is quite sufficient, and matter of fact is what lesser diameter cartridges aspire to expand to. I use the same load for plinking, woods carry around my place - feral dogs and hogs, and hunting. My rig with 7 in the cartridge slide:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carttridge slide 44 1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	305628
    Last edited by JoeJames; 10-14-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got a S&W 624 3 inch last year and I have been shooting it occasionally since then. I have settled on two loads for it. The first is an NOE 230 grain WC over 4.5 grns of Red Dot loaded to an OAL of ~1.3" which is very accurate, The second is an Mp 432-423 that casts ~210 grain SWC boolits. 7.0 grains of Unique or 6.0 grains of 231 also shoot well. My bigger 44's, the Ruger Flat top and the S&W 21's, get the classic Skeeter load, but for the lighter 624, these loads do what I need.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-06-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Many folks suggest the "Skeeter" load : 7.5gr. Unique with a 240 gr. cast bullet. My thought is
    that any 44 Special load over 7.0 gr. of Unique, with a 240 gr. cast bullet, should only be done
    with a "Keith" style bullet .Other designs extend further into the case, potentially raising pressures to dangerous levels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauquier View Post
    Many folks suggest the "Skeeter" load : 7.5gr. Unique with a 240 gr. cast bullet. My thought is
    that any 44 Special load over 7.0 gr. of Unique, with a 240 gr. cast bullet, should only be done
    with a "Keith" style bullet .Other designs extend further into the case, potentially raising pressures to dangerous levels.
    I have found that the hardness of the cast bullet plays a part too. My own 240's are basically wheel weights sweetened with a little tin and are not water quenched. The commercial cast bullets are usually quite a bit harder and though of the same diameter - .430 - .431 will run a bit faster. I assume the pressure goes up some too. But my hottest loads are 6.8 grains of Unique with a soft alloy bullet.

I'm A Honcho!
    I love my combat magnum SW. it’s running a 280 grain NOE SWC .431 diameter 11.8 HS6. Shoots like magic. Zeroing the sights in the pic at 15 yards.

Ooops. You said 44 Special. I was wondering why the loads were so light. 44 Mag here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CB32288-D91F-4189-8E27-59C034969761.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	306598
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fauquier View Post
    The RF designs put more bullet outside the case than a SWC does.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I've not had any 44 SPL chambered revolvers for several years. I have three 44 Magnum revolvers I shoot a lot of 44 SPL loads (in 44 SPL cases) through though. For many years I've used the 429421 & 429360 (I have both in Lyman 4 cavity moulds) over 5 gr of Bullseye. I also use that same 5 gr BE load under the 6 cavity mould produced Lee TL429-250-SWC. It is a great load and pretty much duplicates the factory load but with the SWC bullet. I like to case the bullets soft using mostly a 40 or 30-1 alloy. I size at .430 and lube with 2500+ these days. Accuracy is always better than i can hold. I used to shoot a lot of Skeeter's loads (7.5 gr Unique under the 429421 or 428360) but usually just use those bullets in magnum cases with 8.5 gr Unique.

All of my 44 SPL cases (450+) are currently loaded with the 240 gr 429360 bullets. When those are shot I'm going to try out the Lee 429-200-RF bullet. Not sure how well the shorter bearing surface will make the longer chamber jump but I'm going to give it a try. Just looking for a pleasant to shoot, accurate load in the 850 - 1000 fps range out of my 6 1/2" Ruger FTBH.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast