Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bluetti solar generator

Boolit Master
    As an old man rant
    I taught the kids to rebuild a six cylinder Carlyle compressor cast iron from 1948 parts were $16,000
    weighs 3/4 ton, 75HP, they are working up another, good kids, I passed the baton.

Tecumseh made compressors in Louisiana
    Out-sourced to Bangladesh in the 80's
    Bangladesh made poor compressors for a decade, but now the good compressors come from Bangladesh
    So they cost too much and got out-sourced to China starting the quality control all over again.
    The Japanese and Koreans would not buy from China so they set up in Taiwan.

America does make compressors, so does Denmark, but they are expensive.
    America will only buy cheap plastic crap, cars or refrigerators. I can kick in a bumper with my boot.

Beckett oil burners in the 80's bought a batch of Marathon burner motors with centrifugal switch start.
    I could hold the motor shaft with my hand my assistant plugged it in, I could hold the motor until it smoked.
    The motor has to start an oil pump, it's not that hard to turn.
    Customer paid $4000 for a new furnace, no heat the next day. Bad for business, replacement motor was junk, too.
    Don't try this at home but I melted three motors for the factory rep.
    So Beckett set up a factory in Croatia to make PSC motors cheaper and better, I can't stop those at all,
    and Beckett designed a double ended burner motor which revolutionized water heaters.

If we don't build it, somebody else will.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetZ View Post
    I looked into getting a solar generator for my house because I liked the idea of not using gas and thought it would be quieter and more accessible. If the power went out, I needed something to keep my appliances running without trouble.
    Be aware that if you have a solar array and are ON grid, i.e. regular power from the utility, the solar panels have a disconnect switch when the power goes off. mandatory from the power company due to potential back feed of the solar into the system. Some systems have ONE, 115v 15 amp outlet that is powered...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Be aware that if you have a solar array and are ON grid, i.e. regular power from the utility, the solar panels have a disconnect switch when the power goes off. mandatory from the power company due to potential back feed of the solar into the system. Some systems have ONE, 115v 15 amp outlet that is powered...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Unless you have a hybrid on/off grid inverter and batteries. The inverter will charge the batteries first before exporting to the grid. If power goes down it disconnects from the grid and switches to batteries. Note, NOT cheap! https://www.ecodirect.com/Outback-FX...xr2524a-01.htm but it will power a lot more of your house than those so called solar generator toys sold online!

Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    I don't remember the numbers but the 25 year lifespan is for a percentage of output. Like 75% of original output after 25 years. The panels degrade over time like anything else, though they will still be putting out power just not the original spec amount. For me the great deals come from buying used solar panels, I bought a big batch last year, 325W panels for $40 each shipped, they will probably last my lifetime. I have enough panels that even at a reduced output I have more power than I require.
    Where do you buy these used $40 solar panels?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Some of the big dealers get them in from failed projects that went under... or were hail damaged so badly that ALL the panels needed replacing to keep them in balance. If you mix solar panel outputs the new panel will drop to the output of the oldest/least output.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    https://www.santansolar.com/product-...-solar-panels/

Prices and availability have changed since I bought mine years ago, best deals are in buying in quantity like anything. I'm sure there are other sources but I have purchased from these guys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123