Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 35 Whelen has promise

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte

Smile 35 Whelen has promise

Got a chance to play with my latest toy, a Ruger Hawkeye in 35 Whelen. Since I'm not great at figuring how to post progessive pictures, you'll just have to follow along with me.

The Lyman boolit [60/40 pure/National Bullet Co. meltdowns] was lubed with LLA ala Ranch Dog and charged with 10 grains Unique over a WLR primer, OAL-2.845".
    The RD boolit [50/50 WW/pure water quenched] had Gator checks attached and lubed with my own concoction then charged with 13 grains Unique and a WLR primer, OAL-2.911". The group with 3 RD boolits had mangled checks that I messed up putting them on, the 5-shot group was with good checks. All groups at 50 yards with a Weaver 4X scope.

The lube star looks pretty good too.

No idea of velocity, too windy here to make use of a chrono.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ranch Dog bullets 004.JPG   RD 35 whelen 3.JPG   Ranch Dog bullets 021.JPG   Ranch Dog bullets 032.JPG   Ranch Dog bullets 015.JPG  

Last edited by Lead melter; 01-30-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Forgot a pic
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Buddy
    Got some nice groups there !!! I see no need for crimped cases though since you are shooting a bolt action and light loads!

Hip

P.S. It's funny I spotted your post as I was casting today with the same mold for my .358 Win., .35 Rem. and possibly for a .357 rifle (Rossi M92) for the first time, I just got it about a month ago. Still have to cull through them and lube an size a few!
    Last edited by Hipshot; 01-30-2009 at 08:36 PM.

In Remebrance

Gotta love a 35 cal with cast! Love my O3A3 Whelen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead melter View Post
    Got a chance to play with my latest toy, a Ruger Hawkeye in 35 Whelen. Since I'm not great at figuring how to post progessive pictures, you'll just have to follow along with me.
    I did a double-take reading that. I was trying to imagine an old 1963 Ruger Hawkeye .256 single shot pistol bored out to .35!

After a little googling, I see that Ruger is trying to erase the memory of that odd bird by naming an R77 after it. Memory suppression through overwhelming Google with modern references, I guess.

-HF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    I did a double-take reading that. I was trying to imagine an old 1963 Ruger Hawkeye .256 single shot pistol bored out to .35!

After a little googling, I see that Ruger is trying to erase the memory of that odd bird by naming an R77 after it. Memory suppression through overwhelming Google with modern references, I guess.

-HF
    Was thinking the same thing for a moment.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Hang fire, I'm with you..I almost went to the Ruger site before I got to your post I too was trying to imagine what a 35w would look like on that pistol frame

To old to get it,need more visual aids..Looks like his 35w will shoot cast!!
    good luck, S.L.

Boolit Grand Master

Leadmelter; how long is the throat on your Whelen? I have to seat to an OAL of 3.080" to just kiss the lands with this same bullet, doesn't leave much in the neck.

Boolit Grand Master

I barreled up an 09 arg in 1993 with a deep chambered Wilson barrel in 35 Whelen. It has a throat that is .310" long, the RD 190RF and the rcbs 200 grainer have to be seated out so that just the slightly more than the gas check is in the neck with front band kissing lands. I was wondering if the throat dimensions were changed in 1987 when Rem standardized the whelen. Does anybody have a Remington or Ruger in 35 Whelen, and how long is the throat?

left-RD190, mid-rcbs 200 ,Right-250 hornady seated backwards for visual of throat length
    Last edited by swheeler; 02-24-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Cool

Nobody own a Remington or Ruger factory chambered 35 Whelen? Anybody know how long the throat is on one?

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Mine is a A & B.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Nobody own a Remington or Ruger factory chambered 35 Whelen? Anybody know how long the throat is on one?
    I have a Ruger in .35 Whelen (#1 ltd edition)... Measuring the throat slug I come up with .256" from end of "chamber neck" to start of lands...However measured from end of "case neck" to the start of lands the distance is .311"...Throat dia. roughly .361-2"...
    welcome back..
    Last edited by Nrut; 02-27-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Nrut; thanks for the info, and thanks for the welcome back. Scot

Boolit Buddy
    As far as I am aware when Remington standardised the 35 Whelan they specified a long throat (around 0.3 ish). As the 35 Whelan was a popular wildcat there was a lot of loading data around before Remington standardised it. I'm guessing that their thinking might have been that a long throat would have reduced pressures in their pump gun.

Joe