Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about reloading 500 linebaugh

Boolit Master

question about reloading 500 linebaugh

On the Dillon 550. In particular, I prefer to use the Lee powder through expanders to flare the case and charge at the same time. What are other people doing on their Dillon 550s? I also prefer to seat and crimp in separate stations, so options are limited with only four stations on this press.

Anyway, I've been thinking about a 500 linebaugh, but still not sure about how I'm going to make it all work.

You can use an additional tool head and run them though twice. Size, prime, flare, on first pass. Add powder, seat, crimp on second pass.

Boolit Master
    Really makes a pistol cartridge a chore to have to run it through twice, but that is certainly an option.

With the 500 JRH, more dies and options are available.

Decisions...

Dillon sells a 500 Smith and Wesson powder funnel for their powder dispenser.

https://dilloncdn.com/magento/charts...sion-chart.pdf

Boolit Master

When it comes to .500 Linebaugh, you really shouldn't worry to much about speed. It's not a high volume round, at least I hope not. I have experience with the 500 Linebaugh, but not the Dillon 550. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure where the issue is. Standard setups use 3 stations, then if a separate crimp is wanted, that uses the 4th station.

1st: de-cap, re-size, prime
    2nd: drop powder and flare neck if required/desired
    3rd: seat bullet (can also crimp)
    4th: crimp

Finished round drops into the bin.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    I'm not sure where the issue is. Standard setups use 3 stations, then if a separate crimp is wanted, that uses the 4th station.

1st: de-cap, re-size, prime
    2nd: drop powder and flare neck if required/desired
    3rd: seat bullet (can also crimp)
    4th: crimp

Finished round drops into the bin.

45_Colt
    The issue is with #2. I prefer the Lee powder thru expander with the Lee pro auto disk powder measurer. Nevertheless, what other manufacturers offer a powder thru expander for the 500 Linebaugh, as I don't think lee does?

Banner Sponsor

The Dillon powder measure flares and dispenses powder at the same time in the 2nd station.
    Maybe I'm missing something?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    The Dillon powder measure flares and dispenses powder at the same time in the 2nd station.
    Maybe I'm missing something?

It doesn't look like Dillon makes one for the 500 linebaugh, or does the 500 ae or S&W funnel work for the bigger linebaugh case?

Is this the issue? The 500S&W uses a slightly smaller bullet diameter than the Linebaugh (.500 verses .511).

Can you put the Lee powder though expander and in place of the Dillon powder system?

Lee appears to make a couple of powder dispensers that can be case actuated when mounted on the Lee expander.

Boolit Buddy
    Apparently this is going to be a custom powder funnel/expander tool. The 500 Linebaugh is still a wildcat cartridge.

May want to get in touch with Lee as they may be able to make a funnel for you at a reasonable cost. If not can try Dillon.

As for the other cartridges you mentioned, they use a .50" bullet whereas the Linebaugh uses a .51" bullet. So no-go on using one of those funnel/expanders.

45_Colt

Just reread the original post. If you have not bought one, yet—go for a different caliber if you want to use the 550.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I don't think the 50 expander/funnel will work for the 51. Same with mixing and matching components, I would think.

I have not decided on anything. Just trying to get a feel for what works. Looks like a 50 would be much more user-friendly.

Banner Sponsor

You could call Dillon about a conversion kit.
    They put one together for my 470NE double.

Boolit Master
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

You should just buy one of these,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=20s

I doubt anyone is ever going to load more than 50-100 .500 Linebaugh's in one session so setting up a 550 for it would be a waste of time. I can easily load 50 .44 Magnums on my Press in 1 hour, and you can use anyone's dies you choose. Have a look and see just how easy this is. Loading .500 Linebaugh's would be done exactly the same way as in the video above.

This tool will load just about any Brass Cartridge below .50 BMG, and I have one guy who loads .577 NE by the campfire every night in Namibia.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-04-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You should just buy one of these,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=20s

I doubt anyone is ever going to load more than 50-100 .500 Linebaugh's in one session so setting up a 550 for it would be a waste of time. I can easily load 50 .44 Magnums on my Press in 1 hour, and you can use anyone's dies you choose. Have a look and see just how easy this is. Loading .500 Linebaugh's would be done exactly the same way as in the video above.

This tool will load just about any Brass Cartridge below .50 BMG, and I have one guy who loads .577 NE by the campfire every night in Namibia.

Randy
    Although I disagree with the idea that setting up the 550 for 50-100 rounds is a waste of time, I do like your machine and just might get one to have on hand. Thanks for the idea.

Banned

You have a white beard but I like to see persons eyes in order to evaluate them better.....................I love hand presses. They are just easy!

I agree I would like to use a Lee autodrum but instead with the Hornady dies I just charge them from a powder drop. I use a Lee turrent press so I only have to keep up with 1 thing at a time.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a BFR in 500 jrh instead. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast