Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Started out on Lee equipment ? When ?

Boolit Master

Around 1986 or 87. A Lee handpress (the ThighMaster) and a set of Lee dies (with the data sheet/instructions included). A pound of Clays powder rounded out my equipment.

No scales, no tumbler, no manual. Loaded thousands of rounds with no problems.

Around 1984 I bought a new Model 19 S&W Nickel plated for about $319 including tax. I was at a big Dallas Market Hall gun show. I bought some new 357 Magnum ammunition for about $29. I bought a new Lee 1000 reloading kit in 38 Special / 357 Magnum for $129 and from the same guy I bought a pound of Bullseye powder and 1000 Winchester small pistol primers and a couple boxes of Sierra 158 grain JHP bullets. I think the whole bill including the reloading press, powder, primers and bullets was less than $200.

Boolit Buddy
    I started in about 1988. It was a Lee 3 hole turret press, still have it and still use it. Added a Lyman 8 hole turret press about a year ago. Many die sets later, it still gets used regular.

Boolit Master
    I already responded but didn't go into much detail. I started casting in about 1978 more so to sell bullets for money to buy all my loading components rather than just making bullets to shoot myself. I was a broke college student at the time, so Lee was the only choice. A 10lb bottom-pour lead pot and 2 molds put me in business. I got two of the pan lube sizer kits at first. A 30 and 44 caliber. Also got a couple of the manual case trimmer kits. Not too much later I got a RCBS Lubrisizer as it is way too slow pan lubing 1,000 bullets. I started loading metalic cartridges in 1978 using a RCBS Rockchucker but when Lee came out with their 1st Progressive, whatever it was called, I got one set up for 45 Colt. The little piece that locates the shell plate on the twisted hex rod got crapped up the 1st time I used it. Got a new piece from Lee and loaded a lot of ammo on that press. It was tedious as could be though to keep primers feeding properly. It has finally given up the ghost and doesn't index correctly anymore. I have another one set up for 9mm that should still work but hasn't been set up or used in over 30 years. I used the Lee shotshell loader that my college roommate had a fair amount and while it felt cheap and flimsy, I was always impressed with how fast it was and how well done the shells were that it produced. For my personal shotshell loading I had a MEC 600 JR. There is no doubt that LEE has played a big role in making reloading more accessible to the average shooter by producing good products at affordable prices. Someone who is trying to decide if they want to load their own can give it a try with Lee without breaking the bank.

Over the years I have accumulated something like 2 dozen Lee bullet molds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I already responded but didn't go into much detail. I started casting in about 1978 more so to sell bullets for money to buy all my loading components rather than just making bullets to shoot myself. I was a broke college student at the time, so Lee was the only choice. A 10lb bottom-pour lead pot and 2 molds put me in business. I got two of the pan lube sizer kits at first. A 30 and 44 caliber. Also got a couple of the manual case trimmer kits. Not too much later I got a RCBS Lubrisizer as it is way too slow pan lubing 1,000 bullets. I started loading metalic cartridges in 1978 using a RCBS Rockchucker but when Lee came out with their 1st Progressive, whatever it was called, I got one set up for 45 Colt. The little piece that locates the shell plate on the twisted hex rod got crapped up the 1st time I used it. Got a new piece from Lee and loaded a lot of ammo on that press. It was tedious as could be though to keep primers feeding properly. It has finally given up the ghost and doesn't index correctly anymore. I have another one set up for 9mm that should still work but hasn't been set up or used in over 30 years. I used the Lee shotshell loader that my college roommate had a fair amount and while it felt cheap and flimsy, I was always impressed with how fast it was and how well done the shells were that it produced. For my personal shotshell loading I had a MEC 600 JR. There is no doubt that LEE has played a big role in making reloading more accessible to the average shooter by producing good products at affordable prices. Someone who is trying to decide if they want to load their own can give it a try with Lee without breaking the bank.

Over the years I have accumulated something like 2 dozen Lee bullet molds.
    Great point about Lee making reloading more accessible. Whether due to budget or just wanting to test the waters first, Lee makes it possible for many. Also, even those of us that have mixed brand benches, some things just don’t require costly equipment. Like the Universal decapper die. Lee makes a simple, robust one cheaper than any one else. Why pay more? And pistol taper crimp die—why pay more? I’ll gladly pay more for powder measures and scales and seating dies. But at least Lee gives a much less expensive option.

And it really depends on your shooting. A lot of folks just enjoy plinking and casual target shooting. Why pay more in that case? We are lucky to have such a wide selection of brands.

Not sure, used my dad's load all when I was a teenager. Maybe 2005ish.

Now I have 2 loadmasters, classic beech lock, the ACP and the APP. The only time I ever have issues with them is when I don't use them for 2 years and then I start reloading.... Which is exactly what I'm doing lol
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    If you started reloading on Lee equipment, share what year it was, and what the equipment was.

Around 1992, a friend's Lee Challenger.
    1994. Bought the Lee Precision Challenger kit.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

early 60's And took a wack-a-mole to Vietnam with me,it was a 30-06.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    In the late '70s I was renting a farmhouse ind Cumberland County, VA. I got an invitation to hunt groundhogs on a local farm, so I borrowed Dad's Krag Sporter and went to Green Top near Richmond and got a Lee Loader set and a box of really lightweight 30 caliber bullets. only ever shot one GH with this combo, but that's another, longer story!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Mid 80's, my brother in law had a Lee turret press, had to feed primers one at a time! It took a few hours to load a couple of hundred 44 Mag cases to empty on Sunday!

Boolit Mold
    1972 Lee Load All. I'm 99% still Lee

Boolit Master
    Well ,there s a funny thing ...a Lee cast iron press is now $100 more expensive than a RCBS........when I bought my Lee ,they wernt quite $100,and the RCBS was $400.............yeah ,I know ...inflation .......Lee double cavity moulds were $12 ,now they are just about $100 here .

Amazing.....3 pages and only one picture...so think I'll add 3 more! I still have my first loader....a Target Lee Loader in .243, bought it 50 years ago in 1974. Here's a picture of it today.....

Then green presses for the next 45 years, 2 RockChuckers, a Pro 2000, a Summit, and a ProChucker 7. Then my final two, a Lee APP, and a Lee 6000! So my reloading room is now crowded and colorful. .....and I'm still enjoying all of them.....just slower.....

See....colorful! 3D printer helps with that.....
    Last edited by GWS; 04-17-2024 at 12:47 AM.

Lee Precision has always been my first choice.
    God Bless Richard Lee.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456