MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Old A Used 3/4 or 1 Ton Diesel Pick Up Would You Buy

I've never appreciated the value of any kind of vehicle the way most people do. To me a vehicle is simply a method of travel or a tool to perform a task. I don't consider them an extension of my personality nor any type of contributor to my self worth, self esteem or rank in society. They are money pits and honestly if there was a way to do without one where I live I'd prefer to never own one. I want whatever fits my needs best for the lowest price including insurance and taxes and that requires minimal maintenance costs.

I am not a materialistic person. Possessions are a burdon to me so I own as few things as possible that aren't wealth investments that historically increase in value. Vehicles do not meet that criteria for me.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    I daily drive, either my 2002, f250, 7.3 long bed, ext cab, auto all original at 235k.
    Or, 99 d2500, short bed, ext cab, auto, now 108k.
    I love both. But the f250 tows better. Cummins I get better mpg.
    Both do the job well. Tow either a 12 foot utility with 3000 lb lift, or, the 20 foot travel at 6000.

Sent from my T790W using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I like the Dodge Cummins common rail , early to mid 2000's. They were fairly quiet, had good power and made decent mileage.
    The Cummis 12 & 24 valve engines were good but a little noisy.
    The Ford 7.3L diesels were good, but noisy, stay away from the 6.0L diesels.
    Not a big fan of the Chevy Duramax's. Never saw one go over 200,000 miles.

Boolit Buddy
    The first 7.3 powerstroke had almost 300,000 miles on it. The one i have now has 176,00 on it. If the oil is changed every 5,000 miles and injectors are changed every 200,00 miles with glow plugs , the engine will go 500,000 miles if not more, Transmissions are weak. They might go 150,000 to 200,000 miles. dont forget to change the fuel filter every 15,000 miles. A used 7.3 for 10-15 thousand dollars is a hidden gem. The 6.0s if the have new head bolts put on them are ok, but not a 7.3 liter

Boolit Master
    Bought a '95 Dodge 2500 Cummins 12V 2WD manual trans at around 100K about 10 years back and got laughed at by most I know. Still running great at near 200K and still hear from a few that I "wasted" $6K on such an old truck.

Boolit Master

Run from a Ford 6.0psd... But do get a 7.3psd. Won't win a speed race..but they last. I have a good running 99 odd f350. Just sold a 99 7.3psd f450.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a 2003 6.0 F250 4wd crew Lariat in 2012 for $13.5k, spent about $2k fixing the issues. It has enough bells and whistles to be comfortable and still reliable, has 225k miles now and I wouldn't hesitate buying another if it was well maintained and not molested. I do all my own maintenance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Bought a '95 Dodge 2500 Cummins 12V 2WD manual trans at around 100K about 10 years back and got laughed at by most I know. Still running great at near 200K and still hear from a few that I "wasted" $6K on such an old truck.
    $6k for a truck still running after 10 years sounds like a good deal to me.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I've owned a bunch of Cummins Turbo diesels over the last 30 years. 92 - 2000 - 2006 - 2012- and just purchased a 2022 model. All were sold with aprox 200,000 miles all were good.
    The 92 was a bit of a slug.
    The 06 was about the apex of the 5.9.
    When I first purchased the 12 I was disappointed in the 6.7 until my son and I deleted everything and chipped it. Unbelievable. 5 more miles per gallon, about 500 HP and 1000 ft TQ. It really woke up. That route is highly recommended.
    I've only got 1,600 miles on the 22 but so far so good.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    I have an early 90s Toyota pickup with nearly 230k. I bought it with 162k for under $4000. Have done all fluids, replaced suspension, starter, rebuilt brakes, replaced hubs, changed out alternator (twice), timing belt and water pump (also twice), and will keep fixing it and driving it for a long time. It was my daily for four years. I'd buy an older one with a carburetor if the right one came along at the right time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    I have an early 90s Toyota pickup with nearly 230k. I bought it with 162k for under $4000. Have done all fluids, replaced suspension, starter, rebuilt brakes, replaced hubs, changed out alternator (twice), timing belt and water pump (also twice), and will keep fixing it and driving it for a long time. It was my daily for four years. I'd buy an older one with a carburetor if the right one came along at the right time.
    Is that a diesel? My uncle bought a Chevy Luv in the 70's I think and I swear it did not burn gas. Had a Tacoma and it was bulletproof. That 22R engine was the best 4 cylinder ever made IMHO.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    We have a '96 F250 power stroke pickup-- running strong at only 150k miles. One of my sons went to school and trained to be a diesel mechanic-- and told me that the engines should go well over 200k miles. As a matter of fact-- he also told me that the school taught the students that when rebuilding it was even ok if there were cracks in the cylinder wall as long as they weren't over 1/8 inch.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Is that a diesel? My uncle bought a Chevy Luv in the 70's I think and I swear it did not burn gas. Had a Tacoma and it was bulletproof. That 22R engine was the best 4 cylinder ever made IMHO.
    No--the diesels are highly sought-after but they were made, AFAIK, only in Europe. They're really rare over here and tend to sell for collector prices. Mine is the 3.0 L V6. They're not as rugged as the legendary 22RE (4cyl) but they're still miles ahead of the rest of the competition.

Moderator Emeritus

American made truck?
    for an every day driver?
    I'd want one with fuel injection, instead of a carb.
    ...AND I'd want one 1996 or newer,
    because it will have OBD II, making it easier to troubleshoot when problems arise
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I'm one who will drive the wheels off a vehicle, thus the family minivan with 230k, and my pickup with a mere 141k. I plan to go 300k with both of them, but I don't do any really heavy towing or hauling.......half ton on the truck, and so far no more than 2 tons trailering. I maintain well and drive gently, so they should make it. That said, I generally agree that I would want something older, no Def, probably a 7.3 power stroke. If you take care of them, they'll take care of you!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master

For sure on those 7.3 power strokes. I run synthetic 5w40. Those engines will do 500k. I did an oil sample on my 99 f350 with near 300k on her and all factory internals and no wear metals showing yet...

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, 7.3 is in the house! Almost pulled the trigger on one earlier with a different engine but was warned off

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've never appreciated the value of any kind of vehicle the way most people do. To me a vehicle is simply a method of travel or a tool to perform a task. I don't consider them an extension of my personality nor any type of contributor to my self worth, self esteem or rank in society. They are money pits and honestly if there was a way to do without one where I live I'd prefer to never own one. I want whatever fits my needs best for the lowest price including insurance and taxes and that requires minimal maintenance costs.

I am not a materialistic person. Possessions are a burdon to me so I own as few things as possible that aren't wealth investments that historically increase in value. Vehicles do not meet that criteria for me.
    Me neither. Boat motor, ski doo or car they have always been a point A to point B to me. Does it run is my primary concern.
    $20,000 boat motor may get you to the fishing hole faster than my 6hp Johnson but so what? The 12hp Rotax Bombadier was a reliable ski doo and when it got stuck I could lift it by myself unlike that 700 FireCat that blew the doors off everything but threw my back out on top of a mountain one -30 Midnight in January. My grandmother swore by the 10hp. The 22r Tacoma wouldnt win any races but it would not stop till the body rusted off which it did
    Last edited by jonp; 09-13-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I drove an IH 1300 truck for many years as a service mechanic.........sometimes I would go out to a job,back to get stuff,back to job all in one day..........tank of diesel every 2 days.........not a nice vehicle to drive.....dunno if it wore me out,or I wore it out.........millenials are now paying huge sums for these IH trucks .........I dont ever want to drive one again .........but then,If you never drove a truck for work,why would you want to get a big truck and drive it about empty?

Boolit Master
    We have a Ford Model A in the extended family that runs fine,
    it's a great old truck, easy to work on, decent gas mileage.
    Just too bad that Ford hadn't invented brakes yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast