Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a s&w model 39 be converted to Model 52 by adding a 52s slide, barrel, etc

Boolit Bub

Can a s&w model 39 be converted to Model 52 by adding a 52s slide, barrel, etc

I recently picked up a dismantled S&W Model 52 parts without the frame.
    I am wondering if a Model 39 frame could be used to put the 52 back together? Anyone try doing this?

I'd try it, just to see,
    but you're going to have a problem with the magazine, and probably the magazine well if nothing else.

There's more than one reason why Model 39 magazines are $20-30 bucks and ones for a model 52
    are higher than giraffe lips if you can even find one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

You should be able to make a 52 out of it with a 39 frame but not a 52-1 or 52-2

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor..._200906/100100

In 1963, the Model 52-1 was introduced; it incorporated a steel frame, a new single-action trigger mechanism, and a different hammer.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I was told that some of the first 39s were built on 52 frames!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I was told that some of the first 39s were built on 52 frames!
    Yes for the first 3,500.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor..._200906/100100

In 1960, the U.S. Army Marksmanship Training Unit was so impressed with the performance of the Model 39, it requested that Smith & Wesson produce a similar model chambered for a proprietary cartridge it had developed, the .38 AMU, which was little more than the .38 Spl. Mid-Range wadcutter load but using a semirimless case. The new pistol was designated as the Model 52A, and approximately 90 pistols were delivered. They were used by the Army's pistol team for a short tim

S&W saw possibilities for this type of pistol, and in 1961, the company released it on the commercial market as the Model 52. It was similar to the Army pistol, except it was fitted with a longer, 5-inch barrel, used a setscrew to lock out the double-action option on the trigger, and it was chambered for the standard .38 Spl. Mid-Range wadcutter cartridge.

The company saw the Model 52 as the target pistol of the future, and great pains were taken to ensure quality. The company wanted to make sure it was the most accurate out-of-the-box target pistol available to the American shooter. One of the most prominent design features was the barrel shape, in that it increased in diameter at the muzzle so as to lock into a special threaded bushing that was screwed into the front of the slide and secured in place by a spring-loaded plunger. The setup removed all play in the barrel.

Except for the threaded muzzle bushing, field-stripping the Model 52 was exactly the same as for S&W's 9mm Model 39 pistol.
    According to History of Smith & Wesson by S&W historian Roy Jinks, "To insure the accuracy of the pistol, extra rigid inspection was incorporated by having the Model 52 machine rest tested at 50 yards to insure that the pistol would shoot five-shot groups having maximum spread of two inches. Any pistol that could not meet this standard was returned to production for reworking."

Insistence upon such tight tolerances meant that production was slow, and only 3,500 units were produced by 1963.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I do not believe the M39 will work. Memory tells me the magazine well is cut different.

But, I have been wrong many times. So, find someone with a M39 and see if a M52 magazine will fit into the mag well.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Bub
    I have a 52-2 and bought the parts in case I might need them. Would the dismantled parts (from a 52-2) work in a 39-2? If so, I'd consider having the barrel lined with a 9mm liner and chambered for 38 Super. Of course I would use reduced loads. The Supers should feed from the 39s mags with no problems.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SGM5091 View Post
    I have a 52-2 and bought the parts in case I might need them. Would the dismantled parts (from a 52-2) work in a 39-2? If so, I'd consider having the barrel lined with a 9mm liner and chambered for 38 Super. Of course I would use reduced loads. The Supers should feed from the 39s mags with no problems.
    My guess is yes but that is just a wag based on the fact that the first 3,500 model 52 were built on the 39 frames but without having done I am not 100%.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Also bear in mind that Model 52 slides and frames were lapped together. Mag well differences aside, the slide will probably take some fitting to get on a different frame.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 52 mags will NOT fit in my Model 39-2. They are too long, front to back, although the width seems as though they'd fit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

The 38 spl and 38 super require the 45 acp length action of 1 .20.the 9mm is to short The 38spl requires some small mods to the ejection port on a 1911 also.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t4197-model-52-magazine

Update: Can you convert a model 39 mag to a 52? The answer is "NO". The 52 mag is .030" wider than a 39 mag. The rim on the 38 special will not go into the mag. They (39) are also shorter in length by about the same .030" with a much rounder front. I picked up a 52 with only 1 mag so thought I would try. Now I need to find another mag. Crying or Very sad

Len

They can not be converted but they can be built.If you have model 39 mags then Numrich has everything except the pins to build them and you can get those on e-bay. I cancelled my request to buy a mag after I found they had all the parts.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    I was notified the Model 39-2 I won on Gun broker is with my FFL holder. I'll pick I up this weekend and see how my Model 52-2 parts mate up. I plan to reline it and chamber it for 38 Super. That should eliminate the magazine problems. If it can be done at a reasonable price I will keep you informed of my progress.

Boolit Master

I have a 52-2 that, according to the guys on the S&W forum was made during the last year of production. Also have an early 39. I was told at the end of 52-2 production that team became the basis of the Performance Center. I’m not a machinist but really doubt you would be able to use the 39 frame to ‘make’ a 52.
    You might be able to piece together a 952, assuming your frame is up to the challenge, but then again, I’m no gunsmith.
    I wanted a 952 PC LS for years. Every year they became more and more expensive. Having shot a couple 952’s, I like the 52-2 even more.

Boolit Bub
    I know that whatever I put together will not be as good as any of the Model 52s I have. I just want to see if I can utilize the parts I have to make an "improved" Model 39 in a caliber I believe is better than the 9mm.

Boolit Buddy

Been following this thread, concept is good, execution not so much. I went the opposite way and put a M59 top end on one of my 52s' to get a higher capacity range pig with a really good trigger pull. It work out much better than I had hoped for, indoor match gun that I didn't care if I got the brass back, won gold 5 years running. So there is a way to a better M39 if you have the right parts.

As to more poop from the 39 platform, you might as well forget the 38 super, as neither mag will work, OAL is to much. I suggest you consider the Eyetye sooper(9x21) or the S&W version, the 356 TSW .. Both will work in the 39 mags and exceed the 9x19 power levels. Its a simple chamber stretch and pay attention to the cartridge OAL when loading. I like doing what you are trying to do, but its wasting the 52 parts on something that's not going to do what you hope it will. I have some mixmasters I'd bet nobody has tried yet(thanks Dan Coonan)..... so have fun....

Boolit Bub
    Some Questions Answered! Picked up my Model 39-2 and couldn't wait to check it out. Removed the slide, barrel, and recoil spring assembly from it and compared the bottom of the slide with that of the Model 52-2.
    The machining looked the same. I then assembled the Model 52 upper and slid it on the Model 39's frame. They mated well, so I installed the Model 39's slide stop and inserted a 39 magazine. When I pulled the slide back it locked open. I released the slide and the gun remained cocked. Squeezing the trigger dropped the hammer, as did engaging the safety. Everything went together well and operates as it should.

Boolit Master
    Watching closely as I've a 39 top end that does fit my 52.

Boolit Bub
    Now comes the hard part - what caliber? I am considering the 38 Super. It has a semi rim so it should fit the slide face, which is cut for the 38 Special. I plan to use the extractor from the Model 39, which should work with the Super. I just need to find someone to re-line and chamber the barrel. Ammo will be reloads, as factory ammo will be too long to fit the magazine.

Boolit Master

Is your 39 frame the S&W version of aluminum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast