WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else going back to mechanical scales?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 to a RCBS 505

I have a very small electronic scale but about all I use it for is to check boolit weights

Boolit Master

I use both plus a charge master. It all depends on what you like.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    … i used them for very accurate "handloads" in my 20 Vartarg ( .2" at 100 yards, with a .1" group once in a while)…..
    We must get our targets from the same place but,
    I must be measuring groups wrong. To me shooting a .2” group when the bullet diameter is .2” means all shots went through the same hole. Although I guess if you’re measuring center to center a cloverleaf of three our four overlapping shots could measure .2” center to center.
    But how do you get a .1” group with a .2” bullet? Or am I misinterpreting something?
    Best I ever did was a 1/2” diameter (outside to outside) three shot group at 150 yards with a 7 mm. Guess I’ve got a ways to go.

Boolit Master

I have 2 magnetic dampening Mechanical scales RCBS 10-10 & Lyman D-7. And one very old Redding oil/reservoir scale. I started out with the old Redding 60yrs ago. Got the RCBS/Ohaus as a gift in 1976, used it ever since. Got an RCBS electronic as a gift about 1992?3 and the Lyman Scale Dispenser when they came out, a few years later. The Lyman setup is great for fast dispensing of rifle charges. Fill the pan and move pan to 10/10 to double check.

Yep that old Redding scale will take forever to steady down, if Ya don't put oil in the paddle reservoir.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    But how do you get a .1” group with a .2” bullet? Or am I misinterpreting something?
    My understanding is that you measure the out side edges of your group, more or less forming forming a circle--
    then subtract the boolit diameter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Bullet groups are measured center to center. An easy way to do that is what Ed said above. Measure the outside edges and then subtract one bullet dia.

Boolit Man
    I just picked up a RCBS 5-10 in its original box with original paper work. The scale looks brand new. If it has been used it hasn't been used much. I do have a digital scale but after checking the RCBS with weights it is dead on accurate. I trust the beam scale more than the digital.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My understanding is that you measure the out side edges of your group, more or less forming forming a circle--
    then subtract the boolit diameter.
    Wow, I stand corrected! My apologies to todd and everyone else who’s reported tight groups sounded measurably impossible.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't say going back but picked up a lightly used RCBS 10-10 in a pawn shop to verify. Got an RCBS older auto trickler type and a lab scale accurate to .02 gr for LR.

My previous 510 or 505 made the bed sheets brown when the cat batted it off the work bench and wouldn't re-zero sometime shortly there after.

Having a check weight set is really the key/injury preventer. My original scale after the crash still worked fine but the next use the load of Unique looked alittle too full in the 45 ACP cased. Went to the local Sportman's and picked up a scale check set when I couldn't re-zero the scale.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had my grandfather's Lyman Ohaus M5 when I started my own equipment and used Dad's M5 for 10-15 yr before that .
    I own 3 now .
    With upwards of 150 yr of off and on service between the 3 and still nailing check weights within my visual acuity and able to resolve around .0125 gr (1 kernel of IMR 4350) I never saw a reason to change .

I've read maybe a ratio of 1 in 7-8 posts saying zero issues , perfect function , 100% accurate 100% of the time , vs drift , lights , electronic fuzz , went nuts , won't hold zero, won't hold tare , I've replaced it every 3 years, etc .
    These are just a few of the things that make me go , huh never had that happen , sure hope gravity doesn't give up .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

My fairly pricey electronic scale has been excellent! My RCBS charge master is junk from day one and setting in the shop collecting dust. RCBS refused to fix or sent a new one so, I told them they had sold me their last product and having so much reloading stuff I will not need much and if so, I buy used. Sold off all my progressive stuff, both Dillion and RCBS and now using three older Rock Chuckers on the bench, all bought from gun shows for $25. each. I use them for all my reloading needs and like them.
    I used the old style hand held Lee primer for many years but they have replaced it with one I won't buy so when the Lee units quit on me went back to priming with Tubes on the RC press and doing just fine thank you. The new RCBS primer tubes are poor now but the after market ones work well so bought several just in case they stop making them.
    For ball powders I use Harrel's measures, and having two one large and one small theyare the very best in drop powder units but for larger grain powders the electronic plus tall trickler with long tube gets'r done.
    Last edited by gc45; 09-09-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Ive been using a rcbs electric, for years,,aint never goingback to my old 10-10,,if i can help it.

Boolit Master
    well I use and are more than happy with the much abused LEE balance beam scales,have done for 30 years,I cannot for life of me see how folks think they are slow or too bouncy..the boucy bit is sensitivity...what you WANT in scales,start light and work your way up slowly.Ive got an OHAUS set but other than for weighing projectiles heavier than 100 grains,the LEE gets the nod.

Boolit Buddy
    An electronic scale? When did that start?

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    An electronic scale? When did that start?
    Like powder coating, and plastic pistols, they're just a passing fad.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When I started handloading many years ago the mechanical balance beam scales were all that existed. When the first electronic systems appeared they were more than a bit pricey. Within my budget they still are pricey. Then came the complaints of inaccurate function. I do not want to drop an overload into a case and experience what that would deliver. I am perfectly comfortable with a balance beam scale, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    When I started handloading many years ago the mechanical balance beam scales were all that existed. When the first electronic systems appeared they were more than a bit pricey. Within my budget they still are pricey. Then came the complaints of inaccurate function. I do not want to drop an overload into a case and experience what that would deliver. I am perfectly comfortable with a balance beam scale, thank you very much.
    Likewise, Thin Man. Heard way too much about inaccuracies, etc. and never had the cash to buy one all those years ago. Now that I could buy one, I won't. I'd rather buy a new pistol anyway.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    I never quit using mechanical balance beam scales (RCBS 505), I tried a few electronic scales but never trusted them for powder charges.

Boolit Master
    60+ yrs. for me, and it is all that I have ever used. never a digital one, never will. if it ain't broke why fix it? the balance beam scale has been around since the time of JESUS.

Boolit Master

My scale is a Pacific M that I bought new and see no reason to change.