MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt

Boolit Master

Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt

I am getting ready to order a 'electricity fired' melting pot, after having my hand set on fire by my coleman stove. I'm thinking of the "Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt" which is on sale for $58.99

I don't think that this model has infinite heat control, but I think it must have several settings, since the directions mention a High Setting (900 degree), Low Setting (450 degree) and says 650 degree is a good starting point.

Has anyone used this particular model? Does it work well for you, and is the heat control adequate?

Thanks - Randy

Boolit Bub
    I don't claim to be a wealth of knowldege on the subject, but my limited casting experience (both times) were done with the furnace you mention. I got it at the same place I suspect you're shopping (Midway - sale price ends 1/31/09).

I am conflicted on it. At first it worked exactly as designed, no drips. Somehow, the screw (Lee Description - 8-32X3/4 SLTD TRUS H) that adjusts flow rate and is used to stop drips got out of wack and now does not make sufficient contact with the valve rod. At one point in my first casting session, the pot began pouring out 5-10 pounds of molten lead

Fortunately, I was prepared for this with a number of muffin tin ingot molds. It was a little dodgey swapping new ones in and pulling (full of hot melt) old ones out, but I managed with little spillage.

Since I wasn't ready to stop casting for as long as a return will take, I put a small pair of vise grips on the valve rod, slightly above the valve arm assembly. (an idea I got here) This worked very well in my second casting experience, with NO drips. I understand the weight of the visegrips helps keep the valve rod securely in place.

I will note that I plan to send the unit back to Midway and ask for a replacement. It sounds as if many people are able to use this furnace in it's stock configuration, and I would prefer to give that another shot. Knowing now what I didn't then, I will be VERY gentle using my screwdriver on the valve rod adjustment screw.

If (when?) I encounter the same problem with the replacement, I will probably buy some cheep chinese vise grip knock offs that I won't mind giving up to my casting equipment, and go with a configuration like I'm using now. I cannot justify $250 for a Lyman pot, nor $350 for an RCBS at this point, but I am quite the fan of the bottom pour.

Regarding temp controls, the thermostat has settings from 1-10. I was having good luck at a setting of 5 1/2 my last time out (though it sounds like I was running my mold too hot).

Good luck with your purchase. If you're on a limited budget, it seems like Lee equipment will get the job done - albeit with some frustrations.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Ugly Dwarf - I was told that there is a Lee bottom pour with a thermostat that is very similar, but only holds 10 lbs. but am unable to find it. Have you seen that one?

Randy

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

lee pot

just go on line and post lee.com and you should get their site.you might get midsoutshooters.com and ask for cat.very good pictures and lee has a nice cat..
    I would go for the 4-20 as it will be up to date for you.
    put a light spring on the handle or make a weight to go on the rod.also spin the rod and it should stop the drip.
    The lee cuts the elec off and on.some put a dimmer control on which lowers the voltage.I to cannot see where the price on Lyman and Rcbs comes from.I think they are both made by the same company.

WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    If there's a choice between 20 lb pot with infinite heat control, or a 10 lb pot with a thermostat, which would you choose?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Thanks Ugly Dwarf - I was told that there is a Lee bottom pour with a thermostat that is very similar, but only holds 10 lbs. but am unable to find it. Have you seen that one?

Randy
    Randy,

I believe you're talking about the Lee Pro 4. It too is on sale at Midway till the end of the month for $14 less than the 20 pound pot. Per the description at Midway, the Pro 4 also uses "infinite heat control"

In regards to your later question about 10 vs 20, I obviously chose a 20 pound pot. I found (again limited casting sessions) that I can go through a LOT of lead once I get on a roll. I expect I would spend a lot of time waiting on the pot to catch up if I only had the 10 pounder.

Dwarf

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Read all the post from about June or July about the Lee. It will not stay at a given temp. You will if you use a thermometer see your casting temps go all over the place. I had two of the pots and would never buy another. The RCBS is worth every penny I paid. I now enjoy casting again. To each his own but if you stay in casting long enough, you will see that I speak the truth. That truth comes from my experience and not rumor.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I am using the Lee 20lbs pot with a PID controller that can be easily assembled and even be used for other things. It good for up to 2000 Fahrenheit which I will for sure not reach.... Here the instructions how to build it and where to get the parts: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315 . It is about $70 but fun to build and I keep the temperature in the pot within 10 degrees - automatically...

Tom

In Remembrance
    I guess for years I've been doing something wrong when it comes to stuff made by Lee.

Put simply, I just haven't had any significant problems.

I don't try and treat my Lee equipment like I do Dillon or RCBS, but likewise, Lee has some innovations and ease-of-use that Dillon and RCBS can only dream about, then make excuses why they can't or won't incorporate it.

As far as my Lee pot, it holds temperature every bit as constant as the ProMelt, except for when the alloy drops to a really low level. Then and only then will I see the temp creep up. I typically cast with a thermometer in the pot during the entire session and I just don't see the wild fluctuations that some others do with the Lee pot. Don't see it with the ProMelt either. Both pots drip on occasion, but that's to be expected with bottom-pour.

Only difference is, I run the Lee pot at just under 900F when using the aluminum moulds. The pot holds temperature just fine and rarely do I ever have to adjust it. I like the Lee and RCBS pots equally, but for the occasional caster or someone deciding if this mystical art is for them, the Lee is the better buy.

Boolit Master
    I have both. I keep the smaller one for pure lead and the larger one for w/w. I've had both for years, and I just turn the pot on wide open and have a ball. It's a hobby, not a contest...and my results are good.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

It depends on how much alloy you want to run, in respects of the 20 lber or the 10lber. They are both basicaly the same pot. I've had my first pro 4 for twenty years before it cashed out. Bought another just a few months ago. You can cast alot of boolits in a little amount of time with the 10lber, give your self a break 1/2 way thru the pot. Lets your moulds cooldown,and you can catch your breath.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt

I love mine. Had some minor leakage when I first started using it, but very little problem with that these days. I don't let mine run dry, I always keep about 1/2" (or a little less) in it when done with each casting session. This keeps impurities from wedging in the outlet and preventing the valve from seating. Works for me.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the Lee Pro 4-20 and it has been working great for me. I have not experienced any leakage and it comes up to working temp quickly.

North East Missouri, about 75 miles North of St. Louis, MO
    I just got the Last Lee Pro 4-20 from Midway 4 days ago, next shipment expected June 1st, 09..
    I have not taken it out of box yet, but I did reach in and the the knob went turned like a continous reostat. Will post latter on how it runs.

Paul
    Use Camera before Gun.....

Boolit Mold
    I am getting ready to order a 'electricity fired' melting pot, after having my hand set on fire by my coleman stove. I'm thinking of the "Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt" which is on sale for $58.99
    Wow! I hope my camp stove, and my turkey fryer don't try to pull some jank like that on me.

Boolit Master

The temp adjustment is like a dimmer switch, it does not have hard stops as you turn it. You simply can not beat the 4-20 for the money, period. Sure you can spend $300-$500 on a pot that might hold more or be marginally better but for under $60 this pot is the ticket. I would personally recommend putting 2-3 large fender washers on the handle where the little wooden knob is. Simply unscrew the wooden knob and slip a couple of washers on the post and then screw the little wooden knob back on. I will post a pic later..
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

As promised...

Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ghh3rd,
    I have two of the Lee Pro 4-20 lb furnaces and would like to get a third (I hate emptying a pot to change alloy). The first one worked great at first then it started leaking, then leaking more and more. I only use the pots for casting and not smelting. I was using paint stirring sticks to flux w/. Then I read that one should not scap the bottom of the pot w/ the wooden stick.
    I usually completely fill the pot when done casting and never drain it completely so I never saw the bottom of the pot. I emptied the pot and was surprised at the soot and junk on the bottom of the pot. I cleaned the pot and the valve completely and refilled. I still use paint stir sticks to flux and scap the walls of the pot but use a piece of stainless steel to occasionally scrap the bottom. This seems to have stopped the leaking problems, once in a while I need to give the screw slot in the valve a little twist but not very often. I have used this method from the beginning on the second furnace and have not had any problems at all.
    I have noticed that as the lead level goes down the tempature goes up. I leave a thermometer in the furnace while casting and adjust the tempature as the level goes down.
    Good luck, jmsj

Boolit Buddy
    Doby,
    You always give good tips.
    Thanks
    CATS

Boolit Master
    I have used both , 10 and 20 lb pots. !0 pounder drips more than 20#. Twist the valve stem to stop dripping. The 20# pot has a vertical stem that seems to seat better than the sloping stem in the 10# pot. The alloy in both pots get hotter as the level of lead goes down. It is not difficult to reduce heat as you cast. If you want a set and forget thermostat get a Lyman or RCBS pot. Not sure they are perfect but probably better. The Lee 20# pot will make lots of boolits for not too much money. If you really like casting and stay with it you will find a used fancy pot that you can get .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast