MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee precision die problems

Lee precision die problems

purchased set of Lee .38 S&W dies several years ago on sale - tried useing them for first time Thursday , sizing + depriming no problem - went to use powder thru expander die + expander would not reach case mouth - check the dies + they are marked 38-sp-87 - tried calling Lee but line always busy - did some research on their parts website - expander should be 1.486 oa. - mine measured 1.088 oa. - emailed Lee + was told they would send me one n/c but i would have to pay postage - attempted to order it + postage on a small $5.00 part is $9.34 , tried to order but they would not take order because they will not collect my state sales tax + to order from one of the distributers that they have listed , could only find one that had it in stock + the part + S+H were totally crazy - been using Lee products for years but not happy with them now ! -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    You need to Call them! Keep trying! They won’t sell to certain state directly, some tax issue. They have an eBay store. You call Lee tell them what you want, they listed on there eBay store. That’s to purchase new items. You have a defective part if you speak to a technician 9 times out of 10 they’ll send you the new part! At least that’s the way it’s always been for me. And I called them a couple of months ago. But you have to speak with a Service rep or technician. When you do stuff via email they pretty much send a generic quote out for whatever the item is and tack on the shipping. The most I’ve had to do is mail the old part back to them. When I had to do that it was a matter of sticking it in an envelope and mailing it the cheapest possible way I could. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

i did speak to them on phone late yesterday + they told me to order one free of charge except postage which would be $9.34 - + thats when the frustration started - their ebay site + all except one of their distributers were out of stock except for the one with the high price + exorbitant shipping charge - part that size + weight can be mailed USPS in continental U.S. for less then $3.00
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Titan Reloading is the main distributor for Lee. They have lots of Lee stuff in stock.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master

What did the nice customer sales representative say when you explained that charging you $9.34 for their mistake is unacceptable? What did that person’s manager say? I’d spend the rest of my life running it up the tree until they held a seance to get Richard Lee on the line.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I send them emails and they always get back to me. Never paid shipping for their screw up on items.

tried them -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I have a question, and please don’t be offended by it. You state the dies are for .38 S&W, you aren’t trying to load .38 SP with them? The reason I ask is because a friend of mines father made this same mistake.

Boolit Buddy
    You could cut off some from the die bottom until it will work.I mean you got nothing now.What's to loose?

Boolit Grand Master

They were giving you a free replacement, yet you complain about the shipping cost of USPS? Not Lee's fault/problem. Complain to the shipper.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Now that is funny, Years ago? and just now finding a problem? Pay the shipping and be done with it!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I have a question, and please don’t be offended by it. You state the dies are for .38 S&W, you aren’t trying to load .38 SP with them? The reason I ask is because a friend of mines father made this same mistake.
    definitely .38 S&W + not special - expander plug will not reach S&W case but would crush the .38 special case because it is much longer -

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    You could cut off some from the die bottom until it will work.I mean you got nothing now.What's to loose?
    carbide die + carbide insert extends flush with die bottom -

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Now that is funny, Years ago? and just now finding a problem? Pay the shipping and be done with it!
    bought set + did not open or attempt to use until i acquired several hundred cases - as stated in post #1 Lee would not accept the postage payment due to their inability to collect sales tax -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 09-05-2022 at 06:31 AM. Reason: addendum -

as they say in latin

seems like others have had same type of problems -
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=lee+ex...t=11&FORM=PERE

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    schutzen-jager,
    If the die is marked 38spl as you say, then this is never going to work for the 38sw. The 38spl case is 0.400'' longer than a 38sw case, so the 38sw will never go far enough into the die, plus the case diameter is larger for the 38sw than the 38spl.

Boolit Master
    Several inconsistencies but I won’t even get into that. It seems several folks have offered solutions and you’ve got a reason against all of those. So at this point I guess you should throw out that set of Lee dies, and buy another Brand of dies!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    schutzen-jager,
    It seems you have a mix up in your dies.
    The sizer die with the decapping pin, has the carbide insert at the bottom. From what you say, this works as it should.
    The powder through the expanding die, has no carbide insert as it does not resize the case, but only expands the case mouth, therefore you can grind it back if need be, but I doubt that it needs that.
    This is the die you need https://leeprecision.com/powder-thru-die-38sh-lng.html
    Last edited by Bird; 09-04-2022 at 10:33 PM.

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    schutzen-jager,
    It seems you have a mix up in your dies.
    The sizer die with the decapping pin, has the carbide insert at the bottom. From what you say, this works as it should.
    The powder through the expanding die, has no carbide insert as it does not resize the case, but only expands the case mouth, therefore you can grind it back if need be, but I doubt that it needs that.
    This is the die you need https://leeprecision.com/powder-thru-die-38sh-lng.html
    the sizer die in .38S+W Lee set is marked .38sp .357 + sizes cases too muchafter checking them -

as they say in latin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast