WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: New 686 for cast?

Boolit Master

New 686 for cast?

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new 6" 686, yes the one with the lock hole. Lock does not bother me at all.
    Anyone here own a newish model and how does it do with cast.
    Accuracy, leading?
    How about cylinder gap?
    Thanks
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

Anytime I buy a revolver now I won't go without feeler gauges. I always check barrel to cylinder gap, as well as endshake now. Also specifically for the new S&W, I'd run a snug cleaning patch down the barrel. The new barrels can be horrible sometimes, and sometimes they are good. There's more I'd like to do, but that gets into being a tire kicker. Checking the cylinder and barrel is something you should do though. I've seen enough new and used guns that were bad to say it is worth it every time.

If you get a good 686, I've always heard they shoot good.

Boolit Grand Master

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...or-S-amp-W-686

Some have issues with cast and the ECM barrels. Others including myself have had good results with the ECM barrels and cast.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...22#post5420122
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-30-2022 at 11:44 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I won't be able to check specs as I will be buying off GB. I have not seen a new 686 in my area in over a year.
    So if any issues I hope Smith will take care of it.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    I won't be able to check specs as I will be buying off GB. I have not seen a new 686 in my area in over a year.
    So if any issues I hope Smith will take care of it.
    It is possible to reject it before you do the NICS check. It can be a pain since you then have to send it back, and go through that whole mess with the GB dealer. That's really the best way though. S&W is the worst out there when it comes to accuracy problems. If it goes bang safely, they won't do anything for you.

Super Moderator

............I have a 586 I've had for 4-5 years. No issue with cast lead at all. Since it's not stainless maybe they didn't have problems, or I just lucked into a good one.

.......Buckshot.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input
    I just ordered a new one off GB today, already shipped and will be here Friday
    I think I got a very fair deal.
    Failure is not an Option