Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Kohler Tractor Engines?

Kohler Tractor Engines?

I've just begun looking for a used lawn tractor to replace my 24 year old 46 inch with a Briggs and Strattan 18 HP 2 cylinder. I'm wanting another 46 inch deck or bigger that would come equipped with a 2 cylinder engine. I'm a fan of B & S engines since several things I've owned over the years were so equipped and were trouble free. A little while ago there was a discussion on here on tractor/mowers. Someone mentioned to stay away from Kohler engines. I've been looking at local want ad sites listing Husqvarna machines with Kohler engines. What's your opinion of these motors and maybe that person could comment why he had a problem with them?

Boolit Master

I do not like Kohler. I had on on a Hustler zero turn and the plastic gears in the bottom end grenaded. My friend has a MAC tool route and the small engine repair shops he trades with advised him to avoid them. I have had good luck with Brigs in the past and currently have a Kawasaki in my present zero turn and no issues so far. That is not much help, but is my experience with them.

Vendor Sponsor

I can only give my experiences comparing a 54" JD 445 with 21 hp B&S and a 46 " Husky with a 21 hp Kohler.

The Kohler runs stronger. Cuts hi grass much faster without bogging down.
    Had to replace the 21 hp B&S after 220 hrs.. that a poor lifespan. 1 JD Dealer told me that's about their average lifespan..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I have a Cub Cadet that's over 10 years old with a Kohler engine. It has been a solid and dependable engine, except for oil leaks. I've changed the valve cover gasket 3 times and it continues to leak. The valve cover is very close to the muffler and the heat defeats the gasket soon enough.

Boolit Master
    it used to be, or so it seems briggs and Kohler made solid engines, I'm taking about when kohler's were cast iron. they built one design and product manufacturers used them in machines all the engine parts for the most part were interchangeable . then it seems when they went to aluminum blocks the equipment manufacturers would have different spec models built for their particular machines. and at this time I believe the engine manufacturers built in obsolescence into the engines. they were designed to last just so long. right now I'm battling with a Kohler 20hp v twin command that just will not pump gas to the carb. its one of these built only for this one particular machine. I just had to buy a briggs 850 on a push mower because the original briggs, about a dozen years old, sprung oil leaks out of every possible seal and gasket and to repair it would cost pretty close to a new engine. again many of the parts/gaskets are specific to this particular engine. seems most of the twin cylinder briggs or Kohler pro model engines are good for 1000 to 1500 hours. its frustrating when the machine they go into are perfectly good and new engine is $2000-$3000. and I spent 4 years in mechanic school 4 decades ago when things were a bit simpler, so I know a little bit about how to fix stuff and when I try to repair something I'm picky I want it right back to factory spec, cant stand jury rigged stuff. problem is that these days to repair a lot of things properly you need specific training and tools to the specific brands or models that need repair. I may be all wrong about all this but its just my opinion
    when these changes came about Honda and Kawasaki filled the gap and built the best and most reliable engines
    I sure do miss the Wisconsin and Onan engines, but have onans on 3 welders and 2 of them are still going strong
    Last edited by farmbif; 08-30-2022 at 08:24 AM.

Boolit Bub
    The command series of Kohler engines are tough. I’m in the Lawn business and have a couple with well over a thousand hours on them. The horizontal twin opposing cylinder Briggs engines might be comparable. I’m not sure when they were discontinued, but if you could find one that had sat in a barn for the last 20 years, they can be a great alternative to new.

I’m not sure of any mowers that can be bought at a box store that could become lifetime mowers anymore. They are produced at a price point. To match the profit margin, plastic timing gears, outsourcing of components, stricter emissions rules, almost make the things disposable.

The commercial mower companies make mowers that appeal to the large lawn homeowners, but I have seen a handful of those mowers become a disappointment as well. Guys pay a premium for a mower that does not cut as nicely and have the longevity that is implied by the name of the mower. Hustler and Walker are who I’m referring to.

All this to say: Price point is everything. Kohler engines pay my bills.

Mark

We have had excellent luck with the Kawasaki engine on our zeroturn. Bought used in 2013.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My step son just told me our sears GT-3000 hydro static drive 52” mower with Kohler motor just crapped out. Motor dumped oil all over and he said it’s done.
    We have had this since the early 90’s to mow most of a 5 acre track here in Tennessee. I ran it 1-3 hrs cutting grass plus pulled wagon moving hay bails and dirt around the yard every week till this past year when we moved.
    Never had a motor issue, did oil changes with 30w or 5-30 in fall winter time. Spindles had been replaced and belts, idler and few blades when beyond sharpening.
    Even used ethanol gas since country station only had that and never had carb issues.
    Kohler done us right no complaints. Were they made better in the 90’s I have no clue except what I’m reading here today.

Y’all be safe and stay well.

Mike

Boolit Master

I don't think one size fits all. Manufacturers are always trying to take cost out of a product to be more profitable. Manufacturers usually make different "series" of products to compete in different marketss which require different reliability and life spans. I had a 1970 Cub Cadet with a 12 hp Kohler and that motor was built like a tank.
    Most box store riding mowers now will have a life span of around 10 years before the mowing deck rusts away. This usually is a death blow as this makes repairs beyond econical sense. "Time for a new mower".
    So there is no need to put a 30 year engine on a 10 year mower deck.
    Look for an "industrial" or " professional" grade product and usually the motor will have a sufficent life span. Kohler, B&S, and Kawasaki and others all make some great motors.

Boolit Grand Master
    My JD445 w/54" deck has just under 600 hours on it and works just fine. Eats bagger belts though. Kawasaki engine
    Last edited by rockrat; 09-02-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've had only one Kohler equipped mower. 12 h.p. single cylinder side valve ran good til it threw the rod. No more Kohler for me.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I have a Cub Cadet that's over 10 years old with a Kohler engine. It has been a solid and dependable engine, except for oil leaks. I've changed the valve cover gasket 3 times and it continues to leak. The valve cover is very close to the muffler and the heat defeats the gasket soon enough.
    I've got a 2166 about 20yrs old. 16hp Kohler Command

runs strong with no problems. I estimate a little over 1,000hrs by us and the guy who had it before us mowed a few acres every week and was not easy on it so figure 2,500hrs? give or take. New electric clutch, starter, fuel pump and plugs. Belts and oil about it. Starter and pump were fine but cheap enough to change before something went wrong.

Talked to a few yard care guys and all like the Kawasaki motors. Not surprised as years ago I had a Kawasaki 440 Invader snowmobile that was ahead of its time.

B&S were always push mower engines and Tecumsah were for snowblowers or ice augers
    Last edited by jonp; 08-30-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I was looking to replace my Kohler with a Kawasaki and found a company on the internet that had a good buy on one when i showed it to my local dealer he says< "that motor is 3 levels down from the commercial rated motor i quoted you." Then the conversation followed was that there are many levels of all the engines. The Kohlers that most are having problems with and other brands are made cheap on purpose to sell at a price point. I found a newer Kohler (mine was over 20 years old) and rebuilt it and it runs great. The older motor i had was good enough to rebuild but was so old I could not find parts for it. I guess what I am trying to say is get the best commercial rated motor of just about any brand and take care of it and you won't have any problems.

Boolit Master
    i had so issues with my cub cadet a couple years ago (not motor issues). called a repair shop to pick it up for repair. the owner came and was looking it over and said oh, you have the good one with a kawasaki engine. i will never buy a cub cadet again, but, i will remember what he said about kawasaki engines.

Moderator Emeritus

I doubt this will help?
    I've owned several different Troybilt tillers over the years.

I had one with a 8hp Kohler "magnum" (whatever that means?) I never had a small engine with such high compression, it was kind of loud. Also, it was kind of hard to pull start, maybe should have had a compression release? But it had electric start, always started that way. AND...Lots more power than that tiller needed, and with battery and electric start, it made for a heavy tiller, I prefer a lighter tiller.

My current tiller has a 7hp Kohler (cast Iron block) made in 1977, just the right weight, it always starts, still plenty powerful, idles down to a crawl if necessary. It's been my fave tiller over all of them I've had.

I am a big fan of the older Kohler engines, but if I am buying something new, I'd go with Honda...that's another long story.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Have a Sears riding mower, 42" deck, purchased new in 1997, I've rebuilt the deck, had tubes put in the tires, and replaced the steering gear/column, repaired the blade engage lever, but haven't done anything to the 16hp Kohler except change the oil & filter annually, spark plug and air filter every other season. Engine starts every time and runs great, can't say the same for any B&S I've ever had.

Have an 8hp Kohler on my BCS walk behind tractor and same excellent performance from it.

Boolit Master

Have a lawn tractor bought in late 1996 with an 18 horse Briggs. Would not start year before last. Replace the starter and it started right up. Tried to mow and the belt kept coming off. Got to checking and the pully that drive the deck had worn through. Instead of trying to find a replacement pully, I took took the deck off and will continue to use it to pull my cart. Steering may need work soon, has about a quarter turn free before turning the wheels.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Bub
    I am pulling this from memory, but Kohler has 2 series of engines. If I recall correctly, the Command is the good one. The Courage is their box store special engine and is built to a price point.

Boolit Master
    20 years ago I was an intern for a company that produced starter motors for small engines. Kohler and Honda would last the longest in life testing, followed by Kawasaki. Briggs & Stratton and Tecumseh were in last place. That was 20 years ago though.
    Subaru makes V-Twin engines in the 18-25 HP range.

Boolit Master
    My Simplicity mower has a Kohler 14 H.P. engine on it. I bought this used mower about 10 years ago from a friend's estate. The only issues I have had with this engine is the fuel delivery system. Kohler's fuel pumps are pricey, and they go nutty all too soon. Factory branded fuel pumps average 12-16 months of service and die off. The last one that failed me got me so angry that I bought a Chinese copy for a lot less money and it has out-lasted all of the previously trashed Kohler fuel pumps by a long shot.