Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Bad Neck Tension .380 ACP

Boolit Buddy

Bad Neck Tension .380 ACP

I have the Lee powder thru die and Lee auto disc powder measure(old one) to load .380 ACP
    The jacketed bullets measure .355 and the expander measures .355(Used Micrometer)
    The expander is too big for these FMJ's(No neck tension) If I back the die out to leave no flare the powder measure won't activate the disc far enough to drop the charge reliably. If I remove material from the expander it will probably be too small for powder coated cast boolits.
    Is there a way to raise the powder die and not oversize the case mouth and still activate the auto disc for its full travel? I use this same setup for 9mm and .45 ACP with no issues.

...2 expanders (intended as the cheap Lee Power Thru die inner spare parts).
    one for fmj to be thinned at your will and one for pc boolits to be leaved as it is_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    I took a couple thousands off the expander and it’s better. .380 ACP was a chore. Had to fill in and cut a new disc hole to measure 3 grains of HP38. Redo the case feeder. Experiment with crimps.
    Going to try out a LCP Max this weekend. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

That's the best way. The Lee isn't just a flare as you found. It is an actual expander plug. I don't like the auto disc. The auto drum is a huge improvement.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not a big fan of the disc either. But once dialed in they work great. I reload many different calibers and I just keep these powder measures with the die setups. Rarely have to adjust much when I changeover. I lucked out when I filled the disc hole with epoxy and redrilled the new cavity.
    It was spot on at 3 grains of HP38.