Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Gunmaker wanted in western Montana

Boolit Master

Gunmaker wanted in western Montana

I am left-handed and left eye dominant. Eighteen months ago, I went blind in my left eye. After recovering some sight, I have decided to have a Ferguson breech-loading flintlock rifle made for my use since I am forced to convert to become a right-handed shooter.

If you build rifles, I ask you to consider taking the job. I have an L&R right-handed flintlock as individual unfitted parts. Perhaps it might be better to buy the lock, needing only tuning by you?

Ric Carter, very good maker and within 100 miles, I have been unable to get ahold of. And Gene Gordner is well beyond my price range.

I'm not going to overload you with details. If the build appeals to you we'll work out details and payment. I anticipate the build to be in the $1K–$2K range. Because of the stock blank's excessive length, the gunmaker needs to be in western Montana. I am in Missoula County.

A few thoughts for a gunmaker who might be put off by unusual configuration of the Ferguson's breech. Among the few original Ferguson rifles nearly all were "Enlisted Man's" model for which I have machinist's inspection drawings. The others (perhaps other??) was an elegant sporting or "Officer's" model for which I also have machinist's inspection drawings. The point is that what I want built allows flexibility. And over the years I have examined some interesting Ferguson variations, one "Deerstalker" being beautiful beyond elegant.
    Unfired TRS-Rayl Ferguson breech-loading flintlock barreled action. Partial specifications are as follows. More dimensional specifications included in photographs.

1. TRS (The Rifle Shoppe) Ferguson action, including trigger plate (trigger plate not shown). Action is not drilled-and-tapped for touch hole as its precise location would occur during completion of rifle. Material is AISI 8620.

2. Ed Rayl finished and installed .54-caliber swamped octagon barrel 39 inches long. Material is AISI 8620.

3. English walnut (not black walnut) stock blank three inches thick is slightly machined with barrel slot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1275.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	303437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1276.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	303438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1277.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	303439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1278.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	303440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1279.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	303441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1280.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	303442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1281.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	303443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1282.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	303444
    Last edited by Naphtali; 08-21-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    I can not help with the build> but i would reckomend you get a cheep .177 air rifle or a cheep .22 and sit down at the bench in less than a day there you will be confertable shooting off the right side> i have trained many that were cross eye dominate and only takes a few hours to get contfortabe with shooting of the other side>>
    then its just practice..

Boolit Master
    I don't know any riflemakers anywhere, but your project certainly sounds interesting, and fully deserving of an experienced gun smith's greatest attention and best efforts.

Good Luck!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

can't help you, but I think the Ferguson is a fantastic choice. Its on my bucket list. best of luck with project

Boolit Master

Sounds like a $6-10K project. Rots-a-ruck.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Go to American Longrifles.com and ask on that site - There are a few there who have built them from Rifle Shoppe parts.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

The probability that this build is affordable stems from the time consuming metal and machine work having been completed. Breech, vertical breech, trigger guard-wrench, finished-and-installed barrel are done. Finished L&R locks are available. Work is predominantly stock making, plus sights and accoutrements. Much of the "six to ten thousand dollar" part is done.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

How far is Waksupi from you? He has posted some of his work and it is stunning. I do not know if he is still doing any projects or not.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW! the Ferguson rifle is # 1 on my bucket list! Not affordable but still there.

Boolit Master

Fellow up around Slocom Hollow Penn. is a fantastic maker of Flintlock/Percussion rifles. Goes by JW FILIPS over on another site.

Moderator Emeritus

There was a shop making custom muzzleloaders in Superior but I can no longer find a listing. I think he may be close to 70 and retired.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    How far is Waksupi from you? He has posted some of his work and it is stunning. I do not know if he is still doing any projects or not.
    Ric is the first person I queried. Either I fouled up on his CONTACT, or he did not respond. I'll try him again through a PM rather than email. I'll give three days for him to respond. I'll report late Friday or on Saturday. I hope he'll accept the job.

I don't take orders anymore, but if I did that would be a $3500-$4500 job, easy.

Boolit Master

Ric is no longer doing work. He is having severe physical problems.