Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: IMR-4831 with cast bullets in the 308 win?

Boolit Buddy

IMR-4831 with cast bullets in the 308 win?

Has anyone loaded cast bullets with IMR-4831 in the 308 win? I have a couple pounds left over from when I had a 270 and would like to use it up, I have a 177gr 185gr bullet currently to use, I do plan at some point to get a 200gr 311299 mold. What I am looking for is load data on it, and what sort of velocity did you get from the load you used?

This is from Hodgdon #24.
    I’m in a similar boat; gave my 25-06 to oldest daughter and I have leftover slow burners to use up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 4831 in 6mm Rem,and 260's. Both at obscene velocity for cast... both with fast twist barrels,using light for caliber weight bullets.

General advice; you've no doubt heard fit is king,well take that to the next level. Tapered nose sizing,and spot on body dimensions as an example. Light to med jam will help with consistency of ignition. Measuring your chamber's neck and record it,as it plays a role in the bullet's body size #'s. Barrel leade determines nose taper. All this is also for ignition.

Don't load up more than say 10 to start with. You have to pay attention to how much carbon fouling that's getting deposited on not only.the barrel,but also on the fired case neck. Annealing enters the picture here,along with a keen eye on your barrel cleaning methods. No,not leading.... ideally with 4831 you use minimal lube,and Goldilocks (just right) amount of fouling. Somewhere in the 20-40 round count will see you having to mop back to square one. Dry mopping after 10 rounds until you see the fouling pattern develop. Once you've got your datum,then you will be cleaning at the longer interval.

And cleaning is stoopid easy. Cpl patches wet with Ed's red,then mop till squeaky clean. Some rigs will shoot "squeaky"(clean/dry) and if not,a VERY light patching with lockease will play nicely with 4831. But you won't know that going in,so only load 10 at a time until you see it happen.

When I'm shooting well,the two rigs above will shoot ragged hole,5 shot groups @100. And are so well behaved... tuning is a breeze. They're usually within a cpl tenths of a grain,depending on conditions.

As for 308,mine like 4198 for low node velocity,4895 for midrange,and Varget or 4350 for jacked up loads. Good luck with your project.

Vendor Sponsor

The old IMR reloading data (LGS) counter hand out I have shows either the 150 grn or the 180 grn bullet, it doesn't say jacketed but I am sure it is assumed, 46 grns is compressed load. Again either bullet weight, that is all you can get in the case. Showing a cup of 32600 for the 150 and 36900 for the 180.

Basically, you are safe filling the case. Those loads produce 2200 plus fps

Less powder and better accuracy is your to work up and see.
    I would start 8 or 10 grains less and find the accurate load. I have done this and found the use of LR mag primers really improved the accuracy.

Have fun.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    He is talking about adding a 200 gr mold So I would think he is shooting cast and not jacketed.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes, cast. This is the only info available from IMR. It is a starting point.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

While I've shot a lot of H4831 under the 311299 in my 10 and 12" twist 308W rifles I've not shot any with IMR 4831. I have several pounds of it myself but use it in my LR 30-06 rifle. IMR 4831 is a bit faster burning than H4831 thus charges should be reduced a bit for IMR 4831. I've found 41 gr of H4831 to be a practical max load based on accuracy not pressure for use with the 311299. Thus, with the IMR 4831 I would expect around 38 - 39 gr to be a practical max giving the 311299 a velocity of 1800 - 1950 fps +/-. If load density is 80% or less then I'd use a dacron filler. Mid start at 35 gr and work up in 1/2 or 1 gr increments until accuracy went south which will probably be in the 1900+ fps range with a 10" twist and 2200 + fps with a 12" twist.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Larry, I don’t have a lot of this powder but with the way powder is if nothing else when I try it maybe I’ll learn something from it to add it to the list of possible’s if nothing else can be found in these lean times.

As expensive as it is, I'd save it for jacketed or sell it.

Some of the pistol powders do well for .30 cast.
    Red Dot is my favorite for .30-06, and I've read it does well in .308 also with a slightly lower charge
    like 10 gr. or so. Do a search and read up on 'the load'.
    The articles are mostly about Red Dot in .30-06, but there's a bit for .308 also.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I took Larrys advice some time ago with reduced loads of H4831 and a 200+ gr cast in my 7.62X54R with good results.
    Expect moderate recoil.

I also have leftover Norma Magnum and Reloader 22 to use up- and save my most useful powders for later use in proven loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a waste of IMR-4831. Why burn 40 grains of powder when you can use 1/2 or less of a more appropriate powder.

Last I checked IMR-4831 was out of stock everywhere and going for $70 a pound!

Boolit Master

Back in the mid 60's I used to buy it for .60 cents a pound. It was military pull down the came in
    little paper 1# bags. I shot plenty of it thru my Rem 700 .30/06........ Good times.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some of what I believe is the Accurate version of 4831. Accurate MRP, probably surplus WWII stuff