MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 327 Federal Bullet, part deux (and Revolver, shooting 100 yards)

Boolit Master

327 Federal Bullet, part deux (and Revolver, shooting 100 yards)

You guys sorted me out good on the last 327, so I want your guys opinions again!

I want another revolver. I kinda want one in 327 again (single seven is calling to me), but I also realize I would really like a target revolver with open sights used to plink my steel plates at 100 yards. Why not scratch both itches with one gun!

Originally liking the shorty birdshead, I’m thinking a better gun would be a single-series Ruger with a nice long barrel. I like fixed sights and would set it up purpose specific. Dial a load then file a front sight that was dead on at 100 yards then just use it to plink steels.

Thing is, not really any long barrel single sevens, BUT there are long barrel single sixes. Only issue is they are in 32HR which I don’t want, and punching open to 327 limits OAL to 1.4”. Which isn’t necessarily a problem, but certainly not ideal…

Still, seems the best way forward. What would you do, wanting a 327 fed to plink out to 100? Is a 5” single seven going to do more for me than a >7.5” single six punched out to 327 but max OAL of 1.4”?

And after sorting the revolver, what about bullet choice? I normally go with a LFN or WFN with lots of driving band and an ogive that goes full diameter, no step like a SWC. That kind of bullet seems to stay accurate the farthest in other revolvers I shoot. But any of you shoot your 327’s to 100 and have a favorite bullet?

Boolit Master
    They made a Single-Seven Ruger .327 with a 7-1/2" bbl. Then look at the 135 grn "Ferminator" bullet. MP molds makes the excellent mold,, and this gun/bullet combo shines.

Boolit Master

And the single sevens in 4⅝, 5½ and 7½ had adjustable sights.

Boolit Master

What you want was made specifically to that configuration.. Good luck finding finding 1. They are out there

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    They made a Single-Seven Ruger .327 with a 7-1/2" bbl. Then look at the 135 grn "Ferminator" bullet. MP molds makes the excellent mold,, and this gun/bullet combo shines.
    The ferminator bullet is too long for a single seven cylinder.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

I’d like to take a closer look. The ferminaror is exactly the design I said in post #1. So that, or similar if the nose is too long.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 08-20-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the Single Seven in 5.5, like it a lot. I do now wish I had gotten it in 7.5in to get the most out of the .327 though.

Good round to go longer with.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to stay with a single action revolver you might look into a full-sized Ruger Blackhawk (top right stainless Ruger) in 327 Federal. There an eight shooter and the cylinder length should accommodate about anything you wish to try. Photos are from a different discussion.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought one of these stainless Blackhawk 327 Eight Shooters when they were “current”. You’ll probably have to pay collector’s prices to get one today, but IMHO, it is the ultimate platform to support the high performance that is available from the 327 Federal Magnum. It is a stud hoss!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    And the single sevens in 4⅝, 5½ and 7½ had adjustable sights.
    This is actually a major halting point for me. I really dislike adjustable sights. I like to file off the front sight of my fixed-sight rugers, add a dovetail, then shape my own from a blank. I’m a one-gun, one-load guy, and once I find “the load”, I sight in and let God bless it.

Maybe if I could flat-top-ize it, but I don’t think I can do that to the single series revolver like a blackhawk?

I’d almost rather get a stainless shorty birdshead and see if pacnor or else will cut and thread me a barrel?

Boolit Master
    "The ferminator bullet is too long for a single seven cylinder."

Have you tried to deep seat the bullets & crimp over the front driving band?

For the Op,, a fixed sighted gun like you seek isn't available as a factory option. A longer barrel, in .327,, and capable of enjoying bullets they like,, have so far only been done with adjustable sighted guns.
    I'd have to say that if you desire a fixed sighted gun, and wanted to "flattop" it,, it would heavily depend upon the individual gun.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I just found a flat top SS on the bowen site. He suggests welding was involved. Done with that idea! I love customizing Rugers but my skill does not extend to tig-ing more material onto topstraps!

I’ve about convinced myself though that a 7.5-10 is just right here. Maybe even buntline!

Boolit Buddy
    Not a .327 but I have a ruger in 30 carbine that is very accurate at 100 yds. It is a undersized .327 on steriods, they are still avaliable as far as I know.
    BD

Boolit Grand Master
    If you don’t like adjustable sights on a SA Ruger, why not try a fixed sight conversion from Hamilton Bowen? I believe he calls it a “Rough” something or other.

Froggie

Boolit Master

So the Ferminator bullet looks pretty awesome, but it does have that super long nose. Anything shorter? like down to even 0.2" long for the nose? (Really short nose)

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like you are asking for opinions, but I don't think you are going to like my opinion, so I'll just try to answer some specifics instead.

The Ruger single 7 can be had in a 7 1/2" barrel, I've shot one, and it is a really nice gun. You don't mention a budget, but the exact handgun you ask for can be had from Freedom Arms. The model 97 can be had in barrel lengths up to 10", and while they don't specifically list a fixed sight with the 327 federal (you are probably the first person to ever ask), I bet FA could accommodate you. I don't know much about the FA model 97, but it is a moderate sized handgun somewhere in size and weight between the Ruger Blackhawk and single 6. John Taffin lists the 97's cylinder length at 1.627". That is long enough to fit any bullet you would want. The Ruger single 7 has a cylinder that will accommodate a cartridge OAL about 1.490", and that's about it. You say the single 6 in 32 H&R is only 1.400", so not a monumental change, but definitely not helping. A lot of people on this forum shoot a 135gr RNFP with a short nose in the single 7 with great results. It's giving up some speed for sure, but it isn't that horrible. The 32 sledgehammer bullet could be loaded, but you would be seated so deep you would no longer have any front driving band out of the case. You will have no issues with accuracy at 100 yards. The 327 federal is a dream long range handgun round that performs well. They generally shoot really good, and a lot of the bullets are long for diameter, especially when you get over 125 grains.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a thought… has Ruger ever made a New Vaquero in 327 FM? That would be just your huckleberry, Mr Rabbit.
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Too big for my goals Froggie! but it is VERY tempting to have such a generous cylinder!

I bought a single six based on the great advice from this thread:

I can live with an adjustable sight like this one. It will get punched out to 327 Federal. Not because it is 'needed', but because I want to stock lots of 327 brass, and zero 32 H&R. It keeps loading simple. And it will ABSOLUTELY get a Fermin front sight!

The goal is to shoot steels at 100 yards offhand. I realized I don't need Holy Fireball loads to do it, just a suitable bullet and powder. From the 'part 1' thread, you guys gave me the very good advice to try a 31-117E bullet from Accurate for my LCR, which I will try first here simply because it is bought and paid for!

Seated long for the LCR, and short for the Single Six. On the loading bench, the difference is just 2 full rotations of the seat stem. The LCR will get soft lead with some tin added. For the single six, I will try the same alloy and also my hardball.

I just learned blue dot is apparently a GREAT powder for 327 which is exciting for me, I have a ton of it with few uses. So I will work up both OAL with bluedot and see if I can't make something work real well. Quickload tells me my pressure at 100% case fill is ~35ksi when short, and ~40ksi when long. Both a comfortable margin, and I don't plan to compress powder. This will keep the recoil down but still well exceed 32 H&R capacity. It should also keep things well safe for a 32 H&R single six! And if I plan in the future to try full snort 327 for defense, the OAL will keep those loads out of the single six. Quickload modelling for revolver is sketchy at best, and inaccurate for pistol in general, But for a spitball ballpark, it tells me I am in the realm of reasonable to work up.

I think it's a plan!

If I'm not getting what I want out of this plan, it's probably because I'll be shooting a flying trash can at 100 yards. Then I'll try a more traditional bullet nose profile, I just need to find one I can load with 0.2" of nose. Got a recommendation?

Other future possibility is to lengthen the barrel, I can have a 10" barrel made within reason. If I went this route I'd probably go whole hog and strip the frame/gate/hammer to send to Turnbull and rust blue the barrel and grip frame. OR, just shoot it!! (I think that EJRH in aluminum is gonna bug me too)

It would be nice if single seven cylinders could be found for sale. That could be a fun project too. But unnecessary for my goals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2299.jpg  
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 08-25-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    ...you may want to do some checking...there is more to converting a Single-Six to .327 than just punching out the chambers... I bought one of the stainless Birdshead .32 H&R models just before Ruger came out with the same gun in .327. I made some inquiries and the cylinder is longer on the Single-Seven....so by punching out the chambers there is very little room left for a bullet nose...

As to bullets for the Single-Seven, take a look at the Accurate Molds 31-120S and 31-135S. I have the 120S and CWlongshot has the 135S and we borrow each other's molds...very accurate and makes LOA very easily without deep-seating.

Bob

Boolit Master
    https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/s...to-327.200658/

...the meat:The Simple Single Six 327 Conversion worked just fine. I was able to modify the chamber reamer using a diamond wheel, lengthening the depth of the cut by about 1/10". The 327 cartridges seat just right in the converted chambers, and it appears that the bullets reach right to the end of the cylinder.

However, the bullets actually reach a bit beyond the cylinder. Some of my American Eagle 327 factory rounds are as much as 1.473" long, and they would not clear the barrel. I measured the cartridges that had the end of the bullet shaved by clearing the barrel... they were 1.470" so I need to re-seat any cartridges that are too close to the maximum length of 1.475", according to SAAMI, and make them no longer than 1.470". When I reload 327, I will set the bullet seating die just right for my pistols.

I call this a great big success! For $100 I converted cylinders for two Single Six 32s, which would have cost $1200 to $1600 if I had sent them to one of the well known smiths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast