Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: new press choice

Boolit Master

new press choice

OK i want a new press. don't need one just want something different. already have 5 unique presses. so, my thoughts are, an older (clean) bonanza co-ax; or a rcbs summit. i know the advantages of the co-ax. are there ANY advantages to the summit?? thoughts??

Boolit Grand Master
    Get the Co-Ax
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Get the Co-Ax
    I agree. It has become my most used press (don't have a progressive yet). REALLY NICE to slip in previously adjusted dies and reload. I use a hand primer, so prime off press. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I have many presses, when I get rich and famous, I want a Co-Ax. Not that they are super expensive but they ain’t cheap either, if you can swing it I say go!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

MEC Marksman - great press. Wide, tall throat easy to maneuver around in. Very precise. Positive ram stop, no spring-over & floating shell holder. Powerful & heavy duty. The companion stand is a must.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I'm thing the MEC Marksman isn't meeting the OP's desire for an older almost classic press, hence a Bonanza Co-Ax vs a Forster.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Unique would be a Hollywood turret press.

Boolit Master

I also vote for the co-ax, but you really can't go wrong.
    Last edited by pworley1; 08-19-2022 at 07:32 PM. Reason: not fibished
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    i am leaning towards the co-ax; but was just wondering if there is anything special about the summit design. as far as the mec goes. i am a long time user of mec shotgun loaders and if i wanted a "normal"design press, i would get a mec above all others .

Boolit Grand Master
    I kinda like the older Herters presses. Just weird enough to be cool, but built like tanks. My favorite is the Super U. The only down side is the proprietary shell holders (or get an adaptor.) I like to prime off-press, so fitting a primer feed is not a worry.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

As a Summit owner, I’m not overwhelmed with it. It’s not a bad press at all; just more limited than a conventional press. I don’t have concentricity measuring equipment so I can’t speak to that. I use it for seating and get good results. The primer catcher does a much better job than the one on my Rock Chucker II. I have Hornady bushing adapters in both of Summit and RC II so die swapping between them is easy. I do see a few thousandths difference in COAL between the two presses; keep telling myself I’ll make a shim to make them identical.

The negatives I’ve observed: The moving parts are very heavy. It becomes a fatigue factor pretty quickly and the longer handle that is standard adds to the weight. At my bench I end up pushing the handle upward because of the heights of the bench and chair. The seating height is perfect for conventional presses where you’re pushing down below waist level. I have a short handle as well. The short handle is great for seating bottlenecked rifle bullets as it gives plenty of leverage but lifting the massive die plate gets tiring when I’m seated. There’s no on-press priming but I prime most rifle cartridges and low volume higher power handgun cartridges on an RCBS bench priming tool. It’s not suitable for using the RCBS collet style bullet puller because the rotation of the tool handle would be very limited.

The Summit would probably benefit from sitting higher than mine does and being used while standing. That would eliminate the need to lift above the shoulder.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I have both and much prefer the co ax to the summit.
    Several observations on the summit. the links are a tight spot when screwing dies in and out. The spent primer catcher leave some to be desired. It does have a grease zerk on the ram and 2 take up screws for play. Changing the die bushing to a bayonet style would be nice modification.
    the co ax is a very nice press spent primers and dust are contained 100%. the priming system is a little different but works well and is trouble free. I believe the coax has more leverage than the summit also.
    The big post on the summit is solid making it a very heavy press. The biggest plus to the summit is there is nothing below the bench top so it can be mounted over drawers or back from the edge.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    OK i want a new press. don't need one just want something different. already have 5 unique presses. so, my thoughts are, an older (clean) bonanza co-ax; or a rcbs summit. i know the advantages of the co-ax. are there ANY advantages to the summit?? thoughts??
    My vote concurs with all the others for a Forster Co-Ax! However, I too own/use the MEC Marksman, and it is, imho, not a "second" to the Co-ax -- I have about eight or nine presses, and the MEC's "action" is bar-none the best.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i am leaning towards the co-ax; but was just wondering if there is anything special about the summit design. as far as the mec goes. i am a long time user of mec shotgun loaders and if i wanted a "normal"design press, i would get a mec above all others .
    I get it - I like some of the older classic presses & other reloading gear. The Marksman is too new to be a classic but it is also not a "normal design". There is no cam-over bump when the ram reaches its apex. The floating shell holder is not a new idea but a well executed feature. The press front is totally open giving you the same speed & handiness of the old "C" type presses without worrying about any springing. No clunky priming arm gizmos to fool with either. No primers on floor! Just thought I might mention...

Good luck on finding the Coax type you're looking for - they definitely are a fine press no matter how old or who made it.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Hollywood senior, got to be the coolest press of all times. never used one but all owners of them love them.

Boolit Master
    i already have a hollywood senior

Boolit Master
    my next press will be the big corbin manual with floor mount. This beast will do everything and more than I will ever need!!!

Boolit Grand Master

The best press I have owned (7 different presses) is undoubtably the Forster Co-Ax. I can do everything on it that I can do on most any other press, and I had no desire for a progressive. Quality tool that gave me precise handloads especially when I was on an accuracy jag for my rifles. I figgered out how to se my Lee push through sizers and once I got the hang of adjusting the priming shell holder, I satisfactorily did every operation I need on my CO-AX. Only modifications I have done is add LED lighting. I switch allen head jaw assembly screws to phillips head screws (I use a long phillips screwdriver to remove/replace screws from above the upper frame). While I didn't find it necessary I shortened the handle 2 1/2" (the after market short handles were too short for me). IIRC I've had my Co-Ax for 8 years and it is still the best I have owned/used...
    My Anchor is holding fast!