WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: giant black bear in archery only area

Boolit Master

giant black bear in archery only area

well yesterday I caught sight of a giant black bear not far from my house. this thing was huge. I'm no expert but it had to be at least 400-500 pounds maybe more. im basing the weight by considering its size to a full grown heifer which are usually about 1200 pounds. he wasn't in a rush to do anything he was clawing at the ground and eating something on the wooded edge of a hay field. the monstrous size of this beast makes perfect sense because black bear hunting in this part of East Tennessee is archery only and archery hunters are few and far between around here.and ive never ever heard of anyone shooting a black bear here with anything but a camera.
    is it even possible to expect to take down a bear this size with a compound bow or crossbow?

Boolit Grand Master
    A bow will kill a bear that size.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Placing the arrow into the vitals will easily kill that bear or any bear. Arrows kill by causing extreme blood loss. Some of the newer broadheads like the Swhacker 2” blades are unbelievably effective. The last six or seven I’ve shot here in NY have literally dropped in their tracks and a couple ran about twenty yards before dropping. The wound damage has to be seen to be believed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DD94032-74A1-401A-89F0-D605EC6F7DD5.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	303379

Boolit Master
    IF THE BLACK BEARS BELLY WAS DRAGING ON THE GROUND THEN YOU HAVE A VERY BIG BEAR YES AN ARROW WITH SHARP BLADES SHOT INTO VITELLS WILL KILL FAST A FEW YEARS BACK SOMEONE SHOT THE BIG ONE THAT WAS DENNING ON MY PROPERTY 800lbs+