Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy bullet in 9mm?

Boolit Master

Heavy bullet in 9mm?

Hey guys.... Anyone use the Lee 358-150 RN in there 9mm pistols?
    I just ordered this mold in 6 cavity. What say you?
    leadhead

Boolit Buddy
    I was trying 148 SWC in 9mm but they would not chamber, so I pulled them all and used a 124 TC boolet.
    They fit in the Lyman go-no-go block but failed to chamber in the firearm, go figure? The RN might be better.
    You have to watch you don't compress the powder when using longer boolets. That was my biggest worry.
    P.S. The 9mm is not a true straight wall case but tapers so it gets tighter the farther you seat it. Sometime bugles the case.
    Also beware of 9mm cases with a shelf inside.
    Good luck

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nope I just use the 124TC boolit. Chambers and shoots flawless.

Boolit Master
    I have had success using the Lyman 358311, 158 gr RN bullet in the 9mm. The 9mm has a tapered case that gets smaller internally towards the bottom. This is why the 147 gr 9mm bullets are of boattail design. This is for clearance, allowing the bullet to be sufficiently seated, within the max OAL, without bulging the case.

For my 158 gr bullet, I used a SWC, 45 cal, punch for my lyman sizer, with the bullet base up in the press. This punch swaged a boattail, which gave me clearance. This worked fine, and shot very well, but was a PITA to do for any large volume of bullets. You may not want to go to all this effort.

I use the 147 gr in 9mm also 357 and 38 spl.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I wanted the 147 gr but I sure as hell am not going to pay $90 for a 2 cavity mold.
    That's why I got the 6 cavity for $50. I've seen where other people have used this
    bullet with good results. We shall see. So, who here shoots this bullet in there 9mm
    pistols?
    leadhead
    Last edited by leadhead; 08-16-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have used the lee 358-150 RN in my 9 mm's. I size them, then powder coat, then size again. In my Walther P1 I had feeding problems-- turned out the bullets were rubbing in the single stack magazine. In my Taurus 92 (double stack mag) they feed and shoot fine.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Thank You Hick. I'll have to figure out what powder to use and how much.
    It was hard finding a load for my buddy's 147 gr cast load. But, will see.
    leadhead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I wanted the 147 gr but I sure as hell am not going to pay $90 for a 2 cavity mold.
    That's why I got the 6 cavity for $50. I've seen where other people have used this
    bullet with good results. We shall see. So, who here shoots this bullet in there 9mm
    pistols?
    leadhead
    I shoot 147 grn hardish lead in 9mm. Chambers fine. It's a swc fn

Boolit Master

OK, that's good, but where do you buy them?
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    I use polymer-coated 147 gr. TCs in all my 9s. Driven to a velocity of 975 f/s or greater, they have the same momentum as a 125 gr. projectile at 1150 f/s, and certainly incapacitate small game & varmints (rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, oppossum) VERY well. Usually a through & through wound and DRT.
    If all you intend to do is punch paper, the 150 gr. LRN mold should work just fine. I think it needs a sharp shoulder at the driving band and a wide, flat nose for use on game or as a defensive pistol projectile. Just out of curiosity, what sources are you using for loading data?
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 08-21-2022 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    In a 9 mm I would if I have a choice i will only use lead for paper punching and a round nose design will more often give better functioning. I found that generic hollow points such as winchester white box work well enough for game and function is reliable. I am just not shooting so much game with the nine that I need to rely on cast to make it economical. One box of it will last a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    I have run that bullet in 9mm. It has a fat nose, so to get it ti chamber reliably I had to seat down to 1.07. I got good results with Power Pistol and Blue Dot. Titegroup didn't work for me. Couldn't get enough velocity without getting to charges that seemed to be in the danger zone.

Boolit Master

I shoot all cast bullets on the range and have found the 147 gr seems to be more accurate than the 125 gr.
    We shoot at 15 yards at a 8" steel swinger. I've been loading a 125 gr cast with 3.8 grs of Win 231 powder
    and it seems to work alright, but the 147's are more accurate, hence me wanting the 150 gr mold.
    I would never use cast as a defensive load. I use Federal HST 124 gr for that.
    leadhead

If they ever get caught up with their orders, Magnus Bullets cast a 147 semi pointed/flat nose boolit that shoots lights out in my Ruger SR9 with Blue Dot. They were relatively inexpensive last time I checked and I bought a box of 500 on a whim, glad I did. Midsouth Shooters Supply carried them when available. A friend of mine says they anchor pigs with authority. As far as using them for defense, I'm afraid they penetrate too deeply and hence a danger to innocent bystanders. They will penetrate completely through a medium sized boar hog.
    Last edited by murf205; 08-19-2022 at 01:51 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

joebaja.... Do you think 231 or Red Dot would work with this bullet?
    leadhead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    OK, that's good, but where do you buy them?
    leadhead
    I cast my own.. but graffs sells some MBC that look near identical to the ones I cast.. and they are in stock too. ( perhaps they have a different ogive angle.. but otherwise look very similar.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/10656

That mold looks just like the Magnus boolit. It's probably a Magma mold that a lot of commercial casters use. The Grafs boolit would be an easy way to find out if buying a mold is a worthwhile venture.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I think mine is a 356637. Looks very very similar.

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with the Lee 150 RN style, but for years have used the Lyman #358212, an obsolete .38 Special 150 RN design sized to .358" as my only 9mm load. I've tried many 9mm cast bullets (at least a dozen) over the last thirty+ years and this one has been the most accurate. I use Bullseye powder and it functions perfectly in my Beretta, Sig, and Walther P4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast