MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .45acp Glock 36, Shield, XDs?

Boolit Master

Which .45acp Glock 36, Shield, XDs?

So, I want another .45. I like my wife's light Commander but I want something just a tad smaller grip for carry, but, can take extended magazines that offer a full grip as well. I also want a single stack.

No, I don't want a 9mm or .40SW or a double stack (BTDT).

Yes, I've fired small .45's before and don't mind the recoil. I'll be firing everything from 185gn to 230gn, mostly full power or +P loads (cast and jacketed).

I would rather have a more accurate pistol. I am leaning toward the longer barrels of the Glock (3.8") and Shield Perf Center (4") vs the XDs 3.3" (they make a 4" in 9mm, not .45 ).

Any experience out there would be appreciated.

The .45 Shield with a thumb safety is what I would pick. I have one in .40, my wife has one in 9mm. We sweep the safety off as the pistol comes up on target- just like decades of 1911 shooting has taught us to do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    The safety on the 45 Shield is considerably better than the smaller calibers possess.

Seven or eight shot pistol.

Interesting design features built in to ensure proper function….slide scallops, magazine divots, and other things.
    Preferred size is a personal thing. There is always some threshold below which we do not shoot as well.

Vendor Sponsor

Don't over look the Kahr CW45 3.6" barrel fully loaded it weighs less than an unloaded LW Commander. Buttery smooth double action style pull each shot, striker fired no external safeties, has striker block safety that is only disabled by trigger pull, mine fired a 230gr Speer Gold Dot that went 9" into our Carolina red clay and mushroomed picture perfect. It's affordable and accurate, aftermarket magazine can go 7+1. Made in USA.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you considered the Sig P220? Despite having a 4.4" barrel, the size is quite comparable to the light commander. Weight is about the same too with the aluminum frame guns. Single stack 8 round magazine. Good triggers, and legendary accuracy. There's also a compact version if you want the shorter grip for some reason.

Boolit Master
    Had not thought about the Kahr. Thanks Doug

P220 I saw but it is a DA/SA. Never liked that setup. It was one of the first of that ilk that I got to know back in the 80's. A friend bought one of the Browning BDA's and I made a holster for him. We shot it quite a bit. It did shoot really well.

Yes, the shorter grip is one thing I am looking for. But, I also want the ability to use longer mags with grip extension (usually marketed as +1 or +2 magazines). This is not to get a larger magazine as such. It is to have a "2 in 1" gun. Full length grip for extended range days and short grip for CC.

I always thought the Commander would have been a good carry gun with a shorter grip. A long barrel officer size. I know someone makes one, but I'd rather not have a 1911. Yes, kinda weird since I have used one for over 50 years.
    Last edited by charlie b; 08-16-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried a S&W M&P 45c? I have one which I really like. Be careful getting a Sig. They are VERY addictive. Tossing out another option but in 10mm. I just picked up the SA xdm elite 3.8". So far with limited shooting I like her. I have small-average hands and some nerve damage and so far so good. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master

I'd do the Glock 36 for simplicity of the mechanism and durability of finish, but I think you'll probably find that none of them carry appreciably better than a Commander in steel frame format, carried in a good holster. Since you seem a little conflicted on the sight radius. . .and intend to load hot. . .and want to get all your fingers on the grip. . .there seems little sense in screwing around with the pocket rockets and their velocity-stealing snub barrels.

The XDs in .45 is just unpleasant to shoot. I've never handled a .45 Shield, but the 9 and .40 variants are just unpleasant to load.

A true Combat Commander with it's steel frame and standard 1911 takedown is a joy to both carry and shoot. The Tisas folks in Turkey are even sending us a light rail version, which I find a little intriguing...
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have an XDs 45, surprisingly accurate at 50 yards, feeds 155 SWC's, 200 SWC's, most anything I put in it. Recoil not bad, same size as the S&W Shield. Has a grip safety, 5,6,7 (+1) round factory magazines, some higher caps out there. I have a lightweight Colt Officers model, the XDs is a little lighter and smaller. First shot cycles with CCI shot for rattlers. Really works well, a good little gun. Ive got a Shield 9mm, same holster works for the Shield 9 and the XDs.

Boolit Grand Master
    I vote with those who vote for the Shield. They feel really good in my hand and and I like the option of a mechanical safety. I have one in 9mm, and find it to be an excellent CC choice. I have issues in my wrists courtesy of a cycling accident so my 45 shooting is only done with a Kimber steel-framed, full-sized 1911.

The Glock is a non-starter for me, I dislike having to pull the trigger to take the gun down. Having had to train unskilled, inexperienced individuals in firearms safety in limited time, I think it is a bang waiting to happen. Plus, personally, I find the stock Glock trigger wretched. I have no experience with the compact Springfields, though I did like the full size 9mm I shot. But, I wear a size 12 4E shoe, what fits me may not fit you.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all. Yes, I almost bought a 10mm a few years ago when I was shooting pistol more. The main reason I am sticking with .45 is so I don't have more calibers to reload and stock up. Getting older and thinning down the herd. I've shot enough of everything else that this is what I have settled on. Even getting rid of the 4" .357, which was my favorite pistol at the range.

I don't really want a barrel less than 3.5". 4" seems like the perfect size for what I want. I've carried an Officer model before and that size grip seemed closer. If I wanted a full size grip I'd just carry the wife's Commander. It is just as difficult to conceal as my full size 1911 was. One I thought might be better would be an Officer's frame and Commander slide/barrel. There are also a couple out there with the Officer frame and 4" slide/barrel. But, the design still has the thumb safety on it. Something I found I'd rather not have on a carry pistol. Hence my narrowing down to the ones listed (and now including the Kahr ).

Boolit Grand Master
    I’d sooner perform surgery on myself than carry a 3.5” 1911 in 45 ACP. The gun was not meant to be shrunk that much. In examining my Shield it has several reliability widgets built in that a short 1911 lacks.

A steel Commander would be good if you can tolerate the weight. Easier to shoot well to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a compact pistol that can take higher capacity Mags, I think you would like the G30 as it can take G21 mags as well. If you want smaller I love my Kahr pm45, it is small light weight and as was mentioned before it has a great trigger. I also like to carry my G36 for quick runs out and just take a spare mag (same with the pm45)

I have the Shield and XDs in original post but no Glock 36. I do have the Glock 30, 30SF, and 30S. The Shield with Apex trigger is by far my favorite carry .45, followed by the 30S in a far distant second place. I loved the XDs when it came out but like the Shield much better. The XDs sits in the safe now.
    I tried to love the Kahr P45. I have a P9 turned into what would become the Covert model from Kahr in 9mm, and love it. I could never get the P45 to run anything reliably, and it went down the road. A lot of people love the Kahr trigger; I’ll take the Apex Shield all day long.
    The Shield has been fired more than any .45 I have except the Kimber Compact Stainless. The Shield is a better carry gun for me.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Any special reason why you don't carry the Glocks much?

Boolit Master
    I've not had any problems with a lightweight officer's 1911 3.5" , Colt Combat Stallion bought a VERY long time ago or a Para P12 3.5". No trouble with Winchester Silvertips, 200 SWC's,230 HydraShok's and of course they have 1911 safety and trigger. I also put a Commander(4.25") slide on a lightweight Para P12 frame, which is a neat little carry, but the Shield and XDs are lighter and smaller. I mostly carry the Shield 9 because it small, light, I don't go anyplace particularly dangerous and I am home before the streetlights come on. In the back country, lions, bears, wolves, oh my, a Para p14/45 makes ME feel safe.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, there are those who say they do okay with shorty 1911s, but there are way too many of us who do not. I hear from some of those people here and elsewhere.

Just passing along my experience here, which is what it is. The polymer 45 caliber guns do better when shrunk down in my usage.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Any special reason why you don't carry the Glocks much?
    Charlie b, I’m making a bold assumption your question was directed at me. The Glock 30 feels like a brick to me. The 30SF is better in the grip, but still has the wide slide. The 30s combines the SF frame with the slimmer slide from the single stack 45s. The 30s was my favorite of all Glocks until I got the 48 and 15 round aftermarket mags for it.

The 30s or SF both get opened carried on the property occasionally, but I prefer a revolver in that role so I don’t have to chase brass. The Apex trigger improves the Glocks, but nowhere near like it does the Shield. The Shield conceals better and I shoot it better than the Glock 45s. If I feel the need for more rounds than the Shield offers I carry the 48.

The 48 with the 15 round mags turn the subcompact 48 into the equal of the Glock 19 and was my latest “perfect” carry gun until my wife shot it.
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 08-18-2022 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Readability

Boolit Buddy
    For whatever this is worth.......

Glock 36. I owned one many years ago, during my time as a 1911 fan. That pistol converted me into liking plastic. It took everything I could put down the tube, fed everything I could stick into the case, and was the most accurate 45 acp I have ever owned.

This is one of the very few guns that I completely REGRET trading off in my younger years of stupidity. Thought that I needed a higher cap 45, and was completely wrong on every front of what I traded for. That 36 was the perfect small carrying 45 for me.

All that I did was grind off the finger grooves on the front strap, and I was good to go.... The Pearce magazine finger extensions help me out with the grip, as I have a slightly thick hand/fingers.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Charlie b, I’m making a bold assumption your question was directed at me.
    Tony
    Yes, it was and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I've not had any problems with a lightweight officer's 1911 3.5".
    I have never had a problem with the 1911 platform. They were my only pistols for almost 40 years. I've fired all the models and different variations and carried several as well. The wife still holds onto her light commander and won't let go of it

I just prefer not to have a thumb safety or SA/DA trigger. Just my preference these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Yes, there are those who say they do okay with shorty 1911s, but there are way too many of us who do not. I hear from some of those people here and elsewhere.
    I get that too. The narrow grip on the 1911 can be a bit difficult when shrunk down to the Officer size. When combined with an alloy frame it can be uncomfortable for some to shoot. I don't mind it. For comparison I liked shooting my SP101 in .357mag, even with 158gn loads.

One reason I like the models listed is the option of using extended grip magazines. They turn a subcompact grip into something more manageable for extended range shooting. Then a flat bottom mag can be inserted for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    For whatever this is worth.......

Glock 36. I owned one many years ago, during my time as a 1911 fan. That pistol converted me into liking plastic. It took everything I could put down the tube, fed everything I could stick into the case, and was the most accurate 45 acp I have ever owned.

This is one of the very few guns that I completely REGRET trading off in my younger years of stupidity. Thought that I needed a higher cap 45, and was completely wrong on every front of what I traded for. That 36 was the perfect small carrying 45 for me.

All that I did was grind off the finger grooves on the front strap, and I was good to go.... The Pearce magazine finger extensions help me out with the grip, as I have a slightly thick hand/fingers.
    Thanks. Yeah, sometimes I really dislike the grip 'features' that some mfgs insist on adding. A bit off topic. The worst grips I had to deal with were the beautiful target grips on the Python. After shooting heavy loads with bare hands the palms would be sore. The sharp checkering would work like a rasp on the skin. Great for defense use with sweaty hands, not so much for the range
    Last edited by charlie b; 08-19-2022 at 10:21 PM.