Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visually checking every powder charge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    If only it were that easy. I own a Dillon 750 w/ a Mr. Bulletfeeder to load lead 45ACP, so there is no room for it, a powder-check die, and separate seating and crimp dies.

I am looking to add a powder check die to my setup. But if I add the powder-check die, will be forced to use a combination seating/crimp die. I have no problem doing this, except that I read that using this die shaves lead, and I use powder-coated lead bullets. Yes, I could crimp off the press, but that doubles the time it takes to reload.

Have considered getting an 1100, but it looks like although it has 8-stations, the stations are restricted in what they can do and I cannot add the powder-check die if using a Mr. Bulletfeeder. *** Dillon?!

Have also looked at the Apex-10, but it seems to be too problem-prone to bother with.

Does anyone here use a combination seating/crimp die w/ lead bullets? And if so, is there a problem w/ lead-shaving?
    My Star seated and crimped at the same time. If can take a bit of tinkering to get it right but it will work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

If I’m going to visualize a reloading problem that is guaranteed to happen, I’d rather shave lead than have charging issues go unnoticed, the prevention of which is what is gained by combining seat and crimp here .

Anyway, I find a super healthy bell will prevent shaved lead during a seat-crimp operation. My brass never seems to fail at the neck either even with a heavy bell. It’s always the middle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12