RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: REmington 1900??????????

Boolit Buddy
    Living in the woods, foothills of the Appalachians.

REmington 1900??????????

I am now the owner of a FREE (the best kind..) Remington 1900 side by side, with NON dymascus barrels.

What loads can I safely shoot out of this gun???? It carries and points nicely, and seems to be in pretty good shape. Id like to take her out this fall.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Well, …….since the LAST Remington 1900 was produced in 1910, …..a little caution is certainly prudent!

First, ......Remember that "Fluid Steel" does not automatically mean "safe"! (....And Damascus does not always mean "wall-hanger"!)

A careful inspection of the tubes is definitely in order. Some of the steel used 110 years ago did not have the elasticity of modern steels, ...and a "bulged" section can significantly weaken the barrel.

Also, make a chamber cast so that you can be certain that the weapon is safe to fire with conventional length shells! ....One hundred years ago, various "short chambering" were common. (Like 2.5" as opposed to modern 2.75" shells.)

Any load you choose to shoot should be on the light side, .....simply out of respect for the "Old Girl's" age! …….And don’t EVEN THINK about steel shot!

You might even want to look into black powder loads. (...Kind to old guns pressure-wise, and lots of fun to shoot!)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Banned

if you reload some of the lower pressured 9k loads and an oz of shot should keep it i good shape.
    definatelt check to see if it is 2.5 or 2.75 you can easily have the chambers lengthened for a reasonable price.

Boolit Master
    If the guns "TIGHT" shoot light skeet or trap loads . Also possibly the what used to be cheap promotional "Dove and Quail" loads .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines