Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Cast 147 gr 9mm load?

Boolit Master

Cast 147 gr 9mm load?

Anybody have a load for 147 gr cast in the 9mm using 231 powder?
    leadhead

Boolit Master

IIRC, at one time I shot quite a few powder-coated 148 gr. RNs over 3.5 gr of 231 but I'm not sure where I obtained the load data. Boolits were left-overs from .38 Spl steel plate loads, resized to .356. Functioned just fine in both my HiPower and the Kahr P9 that was my EDC at the time.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    I've been happy with 3.2 grains under 152 gr lead (my nominal 147 gr molds with my alloy) col 1.145". References: Modern Reloading shows Win 231 3.3 - 3.6 gr min col 1.135 for 147 gr lead. Hodgdon Data Manual 23 (oldie but goodie) lists HP 38 (Hodgdon version of W 231) 3.3 gr with up to 160 gr lead.
    Last edited by oso; 07-30-2022 at 01:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    I've been happy with 3.2 grains under 152 gr lead (my nominal 147 gr molds with my alloy) col 1.145". References: Modern Reloading shows Win 231 3.3 - 3.6 gr min col 1.135 for 147 gr lead. Hodgdon Data Manual 23 (oldie but goodie) lists HP 38 (Hodgdon version of W 231) 3.3 gr with up to 160 gr lead.
    Another vote for 3.2 grains-- that's what shoots well in my three different 9mm pistols (my bullets run close to 150 grains with the alloy I'm using).
    Hick: Iron sights!

So much depends on the particular boolit you are using and how deeply it has to be seated in the case in order to function in your pistol.
    I would start with the data on the Hodgdon site and see what I got from that. Then you can adjust as needed.
    A chronograph is your friend in this.

Boolit Master

My load is 3.4-3.5 gr of Unique. Never used W-231. These are subs though. I try for around 1,000 fps.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon lists 3.0-3.4/W231 with a 147 gr. Hornady J-word. Velocities run 755 - 845 f/s. I suspect that the cast projectiles will attain higher velocities.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!