Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.7x28 reloading

Boolit Bub

5.7x28 reloading

I wanna hear some reasoning from you guys. Dat gum if I didn't go to Cabelas today and look at a FN Five Seven. They had one and I liked it a decent bit and could put it on my Cabelas card. But I just couldn't throw the line in the water. I got scared that I wouldn't be able to feed it if I did get it. Does anyone here reload for this round? Do you guys think its possible at all to cast for it? Is there any hope at all or should I just forget it?

Boolit Master

what little i have heard is its a pain to reload, powder must be precise, lots of problems with overpressure. one of my friends has one he uses to shot prairie dogs and its deadly accurate but very expensive to feed.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Very expensive to buy also.
    My nephew has one. It shoots okay, but in my opinion it's the answer in search of a question.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Very expensive to buy also.
    My nephew has one. It shoots okay, but in my opinion it's the answer in search of a question.

Seems like it. I really like the idea behind it, was thinking I could use the Dillon 550 I bought to load for it. Seems like it could be a problem though dang I don't know if I should bother

Boolit Buddy
    I've considered one as well but after reading about reloading this round gave up on the idea. Dillon doesn't make caliber change for 5.7, their position was that case is not suitable for progressive reloading. One of the concerns was that case have to be trimmed pretty much after every firing. Also case has special coating to help with extraction so it can't be tumble cleaned. Very limited powder choices and safe range is very narrow. I know people reload this round but I gave up after reading about it and with that I gave up on FN or Ruger 5.7 offering cause I don't like to have a centerfire cartridge that I can't reload.

Boolit Master

I have a ruger 5-7

Ammo is starting to come down and is available at shows.. depending on what type you get.. expect 50-90$ a box depending on the ammo type.. but it is out there.

Now.. that said.. I do reload for it. I used to reload hornady 40gr xtp projectiles for it.. but now cast my own 40gr gas checked ones using an MP mold.

Yes.. as with any reloading.. you need to be PRECISE with your powder,, just like any other high pressure small case volume cartridge.

My learning curve was quick due to talking to others that -tried- to reload for it. I had a buddy in Georgia that unsuccessfully reloaded for it when he had a fn 57 and a ps90. he never got a round to cycle though was able to make single shot rounds for his contender. he ended up sending me a quart bag full of 1x brass. I picked up a set of lee dies.. ( he had rcbs ). I set mine up.. I crushed exactly 1 case neck learning to setup the cartridge. After that all my cartridges fed manually racking the slide, and by firing. Upon hearing that, my buddy in georgia asked me to size a few cases for him and send them to me un loaded, and 1 as a dummy so he could see if he could setup his dies using my brass. I did, and it worked. He is now making working 5.7 ammo as well.

So.. it is very doable... and I used lee dies too. PS... I cleaned the cases.. lots of people make a big deal about the factory coating on the cases.. it makes some difference in lubricity.. but you can get around it. At least for the handguns anyway... maybe the ps90 is more picky... dunno?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I have a ruger 5-7

Ammo is starting to come down and is available at shows.. depending on what type you get.. expect 50-90$ a box depending on the ammo type.. but it is out there.

Now.. that said.. I do reload for it. I used to reload hornady 40gr xtp projectiles for it.. but now cast my own 40gr gas checked ones using an MP mold.

Yes.. as with any reloading.. you need to be PRECISE with your powder,, just like any other high pressure small case volume cartridge.

My learning curve was quick due to talking to others that -tried- to reload for it. I had a buddy in Georgia that unsuccessfully reloaded for it when he had a fn 57 and a ps90. he never got a round to cycle though was able to make single shot rounds for his contender. he ended up sending me a quart bag full of 1x brass. I picked up a set of lee dies.. ( he had rcbs ). I set mine up.. I crushed exactly 1 case neck learning to setup the cartridge. After that all my cartridges fed manually racking the slide, and by firing. Upon hearing that, my buddy in georgia asked me to size a few cases for him and send them to me un loaded, and 1 as a dummy so he could see if he could setup his dies using my brass. I did, and it worked. He is now making working 5.7 ammo as well.

So.. it is very doable... and I used lee dies too. PS... I cleaned the cases.. lots of people make a big deal about the factory coating on the cases.. it makes some difference in lubricity.. but you can get around it. At least for the handguns anyway... maybe the ps90 is more picky... dunno?
    Do you have to trim the brass each time you fire it? I sure would like to make this work!

Boolit Master

I have such a large quantity that I have not reloaded the same case twice, yet. However these are all 1x fired, so technically on their second load. And yes..they need trimming. I took a spare .224 neck pilot and polished it to .2225 as the .224 pilot was too tight and would make the cartridge spin in my rcbs trim pro2..

Other than that.. All good. She'll holders from different manufactures fit better or not so good..depending.

But it's very reloadable... And with cast gas checked bullets. Data is usually limited to 35-40-45. I go with the 35-40 using the MP mold gas checked hollow point and semi flat nose projectile .. The hp ends up 37gr or so.

I have another friend that stuffs lee 55gr gas checked projectiles in them with very few good results working it up... And plenty of bad results... That cartridge doesn't tolerate heavy for caliber loads...

check out fivesevenforum.net there's a ton of general info and load data too. I read there for a few weeks before I pulled the trigger on my FiveSeveN. Love the gun and the caliber, but it's a pain in the backside to load. you'll find some your "normal" reloading gear is not working on this tiny case, like if you use a manual decapper for instance.
    The coating on the cases is necessary and it really (really) depends on the make of the dies used, if the coating stays intact or if you scratch it off during resizing. cleaning the cases.. well, forget wet tumbling. corn cob or ultrasound is the way to go.
    regarding resizing.. the case shoulder moves forward tremendously during firing in the FiveSeveN. case life seems pretty short and you can't anneal the cases. Also, you have to trim every time.
    I would stay with light bullets in the range of the factory loadings. I suggest you work up a load with the 40grs V-MAX. subs can work with 55 and 62grainers, but not reliably.

All in all, it's not rocket science but sure time consuming to reload.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Master
    I'M still wondering what the heck both cartridge and firearm are FOR. Given that the round is shot from short barrels (in pistols), I doubt that there's much ballistic advantage to a 6" .22 Magnum revolver (S&W M48 or similar), which is likely equally or more portable.
    ALL reports I get about trying to reload the round are very problematic.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I'M still wondering what the heck both cartridge and firearm are FOR. Given that the round is shot from short barrels (in pistols), I doubt that there's much ballistic advantage to a 6" .22 Magnum revolver (S&W M48 or similar), which is likely equally or more portable.
    ALL reports I get about trying to reload the round are very problematic.
    2000+fps out of a pistol and a magazine that holds 20 bullets. Plus it is much more reliable than a rimfire 22 magnum.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat74 View Post
    check out fivesevenforum.net there's a ton of general info and load data too. I read there for a few weeks before I pulled the trigger on my FiveSeveN. Love the gun and the caliber, but it's a pain in the backside to load. you'll find some your "normal" reloading gear is not working on this tiny case, like if you use a manual decapper for instance.
    The coating on the cases is necessary and it really (really) depends on the make of the dies used, if the coating stays intact or if you scratch it off during resizing. cleaning the cases.. well, forget wet tumbling. corn cob or ultrasound is the way to go.
    regarding resizing.. the case shoulder moves forward tremendously during firing in the FiveSeveN. case life seems pretty short and you can't anneal the cases. Also, you have to trim every time.
    I would stay with light bullets in the range of the factory loadings. I suggest you work up a load with the 40grs V-MAX. subs can work with 55 and 62grainers, but not reliably.

All in all, it's not rocket science but sure time consuming to reload.
    Is this 44wcf pain in the backside to load or are we talking a completely different level of pain in the backside? I'm about to head back to Cabelas to check it out again.

Boolit Master

It's not difficult to load you just have to take it slow and be precise I also load 218b which is a small case as well and even thinner so it can be done you just have to be patient if you have ham hands and you like to go Ultra fast this isn't the cartridge for you to reload. As for the coating on the case the fn57 and the ps90 may require it but I have removed the coating and fired the cases in a Ruger 57 and they work perfectly. If that coating makes the difference of working or not working in the FN guns I'd say it's a failure in the design of the guns and not the ammo. Ruger knows how to make a gun that will fire the cases that had the coating removed during cleaning and sizing.

Bobby I told you my opinion, no way I would get into that caliber for reloading and it's way too expensive for me to buy ammo. I'm not even sold on it performing better than 9mm either. Sorry...Not a believer.

Boolit Master

Better than 9mm? Heck..its almost 5.56... I'd take a ruger 57 over a 9 any day. It's magazine holds 20 rounds..and that's not one of the huge extended ones that stick out the bottom. Virtually no recoil.. And a hot and fast round...

Comparing standard 115 and 124gr fmj 9mm..they come in at 480j and 490j. 23g and 31g fmj 5.7x28 ..they come in at 515j and 538j. I don't have the data for the 35, 40 and 45.

Looks pretty favorable to me...

Besides... Ss190 5.7 will defeat 3a body armor... You don't see too much 9mm ammo that will do that. :0

Boolit Grand Master

I don't load for 5.7x28, but in my time loading 5.56x45 I found I would not trust not trimming. That goes for just about any bottleneck cartridge. You can measure every single case, and most might be acceptable, but some wont be. You can definitely load them on a Dillon 550, but going from dirty case to loaded round is best done in stages. One of the best inventions I've found has been the Lee quick trim dies, and they do make one in 5.7x28. That coupled with a power drill does trimming, chamfer, and deburring in just a couple seconds. The shavings do get on the press, so I probably wouldn't try it on a progressive. I like the Lee APP press for this since it auto feeds and ejects cases. Once you do that, you can size and clean your cases however you like. Finally with clean cases, you can load them on your Dillon 550.

I'll have to leave the loading specifics of 5.7x28 to others. There are a few members on this forum who have done it with success, including cast bullets. 22 caliber cast bullets are kind of a pain in general since they are so small to handle. Based on what I've seen, you shouldn't have too much issue getting a gas checked bullet to shoot well from a handgun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    One of the best inventions I've found has been the Lee quick trim dies, and they do make one in 5.7x28.
    I have used this same trimmer before on my .223 because it was so cheap. Even used a drill too but I found that the length and cutting was inconsistent. Dont know if I was doing something wrong but gave up on it

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Bobby I told you my opinion, no way I would get into that caliber for reloading and it's way too expensive for me to buy ammo. I'm not even sold on it performing better than 9mm either. Sorry...Not a believer.
    I cant agree with this bud. The 5.7x28 is a proven round over any other pistol cartridge. It isn't any where close to a 9mm.

Academy has 5.7 ammo (FN) for $60 per box of fifty.
    It joins the .22 Hornet and .218 Bee in the "Why does that little round cost so much?" club....
    I fired 12 rounds yesterday in 109° heat at 25 yards. Not being used to the trigger, my group size was about fist size at 20yards.
    I also fired 12 rounds from a Walther PPQ .45 into 3" at the same range.
    A few years ago we noticed some of the FN ammo had variations in the report from round to round. We suspect that it deteriorated from the hot/cold storage conditions that it was stored in.
    Funny that none of the other ammo there ( .22LR, 9mm, .50AE) was affected.
    Put the 5.7 in a rifle length barrel and see if it hangs with the .223/5.56.
    I have my doubts.

Boolit Master

Why would you put it in a rifle barrel put it in a 10.4 inch barrel for which it was designed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast