MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Good light weight 9mm molds?

Boolit Bub

Good light weight 9mm molds?

I shoot a good bit of 9mm but I hate going through my lead source. I got to thinking is there a light weight 9mm option so I can cast say 90gr and save on lead?

Boolit Buddy
    I have had good luck with both the Lee 95RNF and the MP 359-93. Both are very short bullets so the OAL won't line up with any book load you have, and I still haven't dialed in an OAL that will feed reliably in my Canik TP9 with the Lee.

Boolit Master
    When one goes up, one must go down, and vice versa. If the weight of the projectile goes down, you will most likely have to up your powder charge to cycle the slide. Just something to keep in mind if you happen to be struggling with finding powder. I have used the Lee 95 grain and 105 swc in 380. I have used the 105 in 9mm too with so so results. As stated above, OAL becomes the issue that one needs get past.

I have had good luck with the lee molds. They have a decent looking 95g mold, flat point bullet. as long as it feeds you should be fine.

as stated, lighter bullets generally use more powder, so its a trade off.

Also lighter bullets tend to go faster, and unless your swapping springs need to go faster to generate enough recoil to cycle the action.

Depending on how your lubing, you could run into issues of leading pushing light bullets fast.

Personally I prefer 124/125s as I can push them reasonably hard without making them go too fast.

Boolit Master

Lyman 358242 92g.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    When one goes up, one must go down, and vice versa. If the weight of the projectile goes down, you will most likely have to up your powder charge to cycle the slide. Just something to keep in mind if you happen to be struggling with finding powder. I have used the Lee 95 grain and 105 swc in 380. I have used the 105 in 9mm too with so so results. As stated above, OAL becomes the issue that one needs get past.
    I honestly didn't even consider OAL. Rats! That could definitely be a problem.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Lyman 358242 92g.
    What I found says those are 125gr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    What I found says those are 125gr
    +1 for the Lyman 358242 92 gr. Also perfect for 380 ACP. The Lyman 358242 comes in two flavors: 121 gr and 92 gr. The 121 gr is my favorite for 9MM. The "358242" is the older version of the mold, it's now designated 356242.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

Lee 358-105

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Lyman 358242 92g.
    +1 This mold loaded to a COAL of ~1.05 over 4.5-5.0 Grains of Red Dot Functions well in my S&W 39-2, not at all in my 1938 Mauser Luger. Haven't tried it in any of my newer guns, I prefer a 124-130'ish boolit to maintain function and lower speeds. Make sure your gun will handle it before you load up a few thousand. Because of the higher pressures involved you better be PC'ing your boolits, or the necessity of adding expensive metals to your alloy to keep the leading down may be an economic issue wiping out any lead savings. Be prepared to have to adjust/replace either your sights
    or your point of aim. These light-weight boolits typically hit aways off from POA.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

For 1000 bullets, you would save about 5 pounds of lead, about $7.50 at the current prices verses a 125 grain bullet. That seems a really poor gain for potentially more recoil (if going for power factor). I wouldn't expect any favors to accuracy either.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a good bit of 9mm but I hate going through my lead source. I got to thinking is there a light weight 9mm option so I can cast say 90gr and save on lead?
    The Lee 358-105-SWC makes up into a Jim Dandy light 9mm luger boolit . The description is SWC but it is more a Truncated Cone than anything . I have a WWII Walther P-38 that loves this boolit .
    feeds , fires and ejects just about any powder charge ... within reason ... I wanted a light load that wouldn't batter the old war horse or me ... this boolet is light enough for that but still heavy enough to reliably work the action . When the boolit and/or charge get too low ...things stop functioning ...trust me I discovered a few before getting it right .

I size them to .357" and taper crimp on the upper driving band ... you would think it too short to feed but I have 4 pistols besides the P-38 that feed them .
    Also when sized .358" works just fine in 38 special light loads .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-15-2022 at 06:06 PM. Reason: correct # is 358-105-SWC
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The Lee 105-105-SWC makes up into a Jim Dandy light 9mm luger boolit . The description is SWC but it is more a Truncated Cone than anything . I have a WWII Walther P-38 that loves this boolit .
    feeds , fires and ejects just about any powder charge ... within reason ... I wanted a light load that wouldn't batter the old war horse or me ... this boolet is light enough for that but still heavy enough to reliably work the action . When the boolit and/or charge get too low ...things stop functioning ...trust me I discovered a few before getting it right .

I size them to .357" and taper crimp on the upper driving band ... you would think it too short to feed but I have 4 pistols besides the P-38 that feed them .
    Also when sized .358" works just fine in 38 special light loads .

Gary
    Gary that looks about perfect! And Lee molds are cheap too

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 & 45 SWC.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	302152
    it's the stubby one on the left

Boolit Grand Master

Gary that looks about perfect! And Lee molds are cheap too
    I have the # wrong ... it's Lee 358-105-SWC ... not 105-105-SWC .
    The double cavity moulds used to be very economical ...
    I see one for $35.00 , which isn't too costly ...considering ... at Amazon (and it is ...available !)
    Being useful in both 9mm and 38 / 357 ...it's a neat mould to have .

I load the 9mm Luger like Beerd does in post #14 , taper crimp on the upper driving band ...
    It's a keeper .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

You're going to shoot a lot of them. Skip the double cavity and get a six. You won't be sorry.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have the # wrong ... it's Lee 358-105-SWC ... not 105-105-SWC .
    The double cavity moulds used to be very economical ...
    I see one for $35.00 , which isn't too costly ...considering ... at Amazon (and it is ...available !)
    Being useful in both 9mm and 38 / 357 ...it's a neat mould to have .

I load the 9mm Luger like Beerd does in post #14 , taper crimp on the upper driving band ...
    It's a keeper .
    Gary
    I knew what you meant Gary. Already have it on the way

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    You're going to shoot a lot of them. Skip the double cavity and get a six. You won't be sorry.
    I would like a 6 cavity but could not find more than dual

Boolit Buddy
    The 6 cavity is on Ebay for $40 plus $14 dollar shipping.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Grand Master

I knew what you meant Gary. Already have it on the way

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"