Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dangers of buying a used muzzleloader

The dangers of buying a used muzzleloader

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a standard CVA .45 flintlock Kentucky rifle for $100. Looking the gun over it was evident that it had never been fired but was obviously 30 or 40 years old. It had been assembled from a kit and the original owner did a very poor job of putting it together. I figured with a little work and a few new parts I could make it into a decent rifle. One of the missing parts was a thimble for the ramrod. When the parts arrived I had to remove the barrel from the stock in order to install the thimble. It was at this point that I noticed that the chamber area of the barrel had been completely milled away! This was only noticeable with the barrel removed from the stock. Had I put 60 grains of 3F powder down this barrel and topped it with a round ball, right now I would be busy picking splinters out of my forearm. The original owner is dead and the person who sold the rifle had no idea this had been done. Why this was done remains a mystery as the barrel appears to be in perfect condition (minus the rather important steel in the chamber area). Bottom line: when buying a used muzzleloader, assume that it is loaded and/or that someone may have intentionally made the firearm unusable in an attempt to make it "safe" for display. Now I have to find a 45 flintlock Kentucky barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220711_232021128.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	302062
    Last edited by hornady308; 07-12-2022 at 08:40 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That certainly is a "head scratcher". Good thing that you caught and a good reminder to check things over thoroughly on a gun you purchase - better safe than sorry! In 60 years of working on and shooting muzzleloaders - I've never seen something like that - makes no sense at all. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's a pain, but you can shorten the barrel and refit the lock to the new location up the barrel. I had a $25 percussion capper with a roached out breach, I cut off a few inches of cancer and re-breached. It was a no-where CVA sidelock. Nothing special. A lot of tinkering, sanding & staining and refitting and it became a real treasure. Ended up taking the biggest whitetail I've ever gotten. Why in the world somebody would do such a dangerous thing to a rifle is a mystery to me. Then again, people's stupidity really has no bounds.

Boolit Master
    I agree that the barrel ( if the bore is good ) can have the breech plug removed and the barrel be shortened , then the plug be reinstalled.
    If you do that.
    There are other things that will have to be changed for the barrel to fit back into the stock properly.
    You can also find a used barrel or even a blank barrel from TOW and set it up using the old breech plug.
    This looks more like someone DAWT'ed the barrel to make it safe for display like at a school or to be used in a parade where they do not allow functioning guns for legal or safety reasons.
    IMO.
    The rifle is Salvageable.
    It might cost you a bit to make it right.
    Or if you do not want to invest a lot of time or money.
    You can just sell it to others for Parts for them to rebuild another rifle that may have some meaning to them.
    Like Grandpa's gun or even their first ML that needs repairs.
    Heck,
    The parts may sell for more than you paid for the rifle.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-12-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Someone might buy it for a wall hanger.

Maybe it was always intended to be a wall hanger,
    but if it got stolen- somebody was going to get a big surprise.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't that where the magazine goes?

Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Isn't that where the magazine goes?
    Look at that. You should be ashamed.
    Thousands of comedians all across the country are out of work---- and you're trying to be funny.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I was given a 1 in. 50 cal. 42 in Dixie barrel that had never been fired. Someone had made a really stupid looking wall hanger using this barrel. A hole had been drilled through to the bore and tapped to hold the forestock. They tried to mill for a rear sight and made a mess, top and bottom and did a tap job again. There was 35 in. of beautiful cut rifling between the mess on each end. Tried for 20 years to find someone locally to cut it for a new plug.

I live about 45 miles from Rice Barrels. I went to buy a new barrel and decided to take the 50 along. He couldn't believe someone made such a mess, I assured him it wasn't me. I bought a new barrel and he bored and tapped the old .50 barrel and supplied a plug for a reasonable price. Jason makes a fine barrel and is a gentleman of high caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, seriously, this looks like a lot of work just to demil the barrel. Drilling holes is fairly easy, but milling an oval in line with the barrel, which this seems to be, takes a bit more skill and equipment. And from the photo, the quality of the work doesn't look too bad.

I wonder if they were trying to make something--perhaps some kind of breechloader. How does the location of the milled hole match up with the nipple and touchhole?

Ah, the very, very, very early prototype of the Pederson Device...

Boolit Grand Master
    BP Dave - You made me laugh.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    That certainly is a "head scratcher". Good thing that you caught and a good reminder to check things over thoroughly on a gun you purchase - better safe than sorry! In 60 years of working on and shooting muzzleloaders - I've never seen something like that - makes no sense at all. Thanks for sharing.
    easy fix
    cut it - reclaim the breechplug/tang and refit it - drill and tap and fit a nice coned touch hole liner - cut the wood (the forend part) where the join in the stock is by the same amount as you cut the barrel and its done !!!! That barrel will shoot better than you can!

Doubt if that was to demill or make it inoperable ( as it still could be loaded, shot and blown up). It is a mystery what they were trying to accomplish.

Perhaps it was a gift to someone that was hated. �� The milled area is just in front of the touch hole and directly on the bottom of the barrel. If someone had tried to fire it the explosion would have driven the bottom of the stock directly into their forearm. I'm not a great machinist, but I think I will try to reclaim the barrel and make this a nice little flintlock. I don't have much to lose. I'll start on the project this weekend and keep you guys advised in case you have some words of wisdom.

Boolit Master
    Ohmigosh!!! That's a major injury waiting to happen. God was looking out for you that things worked out the way they have.

It would take a bit of work, but it could be cut back and re-breached - and the threads could be well-anointed with thick anti-seize to prevent fouling from infiltrating the threads and starting corrosion. The tennons for the keys or pins would have to be moved forward an equal distance and re-installed to accommodate the original key/pin positions, but that's not too difficult. If the barrel is retained with pins, the tennons could be open-slotted to the rear instead of drilled, for easy barrel removal forward and which would also prevent having to locate them perfectly or re-drilling the holes.

I once had a discount factory-second barrel I had bought years ago which turned out to have breech threads cut about 3/8" deeper than the breech plug could reach, leaving a portion of the relatively weak threaded wall exposed to breech pressure. It must have been a reject because the bore was so rough it couldn't be used.

Boolit Master
    Not to add to your pain but I was thinking really aggressive dry ball removal. The stock and lock if nice are pulling way more than a bill on the auction sites. Does that not have a 1-48? What about a nice real round ball barrel made to duplicate removed specimen, threading the back, a hole in the side and a couple dovetails and you might end up with a pretty nice piece! And you could slide into a 40, 36, 32 pretty easy?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I bought 2 muzzleloaders used. Both were loaded powder- ball, powder- ball. Thank God I didn’t try to shoot them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a used TC Renagade barrel.
    It had a load in it.
    But it was also so rusted in the breech from the powder being in there for I guess years that the breech plug was rusted in.
    The threads on the breech plug did get stripped when taking out the breech plug.
    I will just shorten the barrel by about an inch.
    Then have it rethreaded for a new breech plug.

I'd say this is a good example of why buying just about anything used is a risk. You never know what the previous owner may have done.

Watched a guy try to drive a bone stock 4x4 through a shallow pond several years ago. Got stuck about 2/3rds of the way through. Sat in that pond for about 3 hours until enough tow straps and tractors arrived to drag it out. By that time there was several inches of pond water standing in the floor boards. Even the air filter housing had water in it. I heard that he sold it within a couple of weeks. No telling what it cost the new owner over time. First time that truck had been off the road.

Let the buyer beware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast