Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tired of my Single Stage...........what next?

Boolit Buddy
    This conversation made me look at the lee classic turret and im impressed. i love my dillon 550 but i kinda think i was brain washed into thinking thats what i needed, kinda thinking ill add a lee classsic turret to my traveling reloading set up

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee old-school 3 hole turret press. I like it. It is a whole lot faster than single stage, inexpensive, and works fine in pistol calibers.
    On large rifle like 30-06 full sizing, it feels anemic, but so what? Just use it to drop powder and seat bullet. Do your heavy sizing on single stage.
    For pistol it is fine.
    It does work like a single stage tho, but just having all the dies preset on the common turret does seem to make it faster.
    the powder drop thru neck bell die is a big plus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    This conversation made me look at the lee classic turret and im impressed. i love my dillon 550 but i kinda think i was brain washed into thinking thats what i needed, kinda thinking ill add a lee classsic turret to my traveling reloading set up
    Something I found and surprised me, I found a load that uses the same powder measure between 9mm & 45acp. yep, no swapping powder drop between 9mm and .45's.
    Talk about something handy !!!

Boolit Master
    I'm not real familiar with turret presses but I believe you can buy individual turret heads and set up your dies accordingly. I've 2 650s and a single stage for things that the Dillon isn't designed for.

Boolit Master

Dillon which one your choice. I have 2 turret presses and use them as a single stage then turn turret for next step. All it does is save setup time of the next die.

For the price I think I'm going to grab the Lee Pro 4000. One thing I like about Lee is how many accessories are out there for them.

Boolit Master

Looks cool, just take your time with it.
    Last edited by dannyd; 07-09-2022 at 08:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been using the old Lee three hole turret press, as a single stage, for close to thirty years. Been great press. I have loaded everything from 32acp to 45/70. I just recently bought a Lyman 8 hole turret press. The Lyman is built like a tank. No wiggle, no flex. Been wanting one for some time, finally got one. Also have a Dillon 1050 for 45 Colt in bulk.

Boolit Grand Master
    Always amazes me that people do not ask the important question...."How many rounds a year in each caliber?"

But it looks like you have made your choice...good luck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by threett1 View Post
    I have a Dillon 550b and a Redding T7. If you are not a competition shooter the T7 is all you would ever need. Brute strong and precise. With the line up of calibers you load you will have several dollars in setting up each one. If you have the dies for each you are good to go with a turret. T7 will last forever.
    Totally agree with the Redding T7. I’ve owned three Dillons, an RCBS single, and now use my Redding exclusively. Unless you shoot a LOT (500+ per week) the Redding will fill all your needs and it’s a quality built press. Add an extra turret or two and you’re good to go for everything.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Dillon which one your choice. I have 2 turret presses and use them as a single stage then turn turret for next step. All it does is save setup time of the next die.
    The. Lee classic turret can auto index. Also you can set up multiple Caliber Turrets that change out in about 5 seconds! It’s a lot faster than a typical turret press that you still have to adjust the dies when changing a caliber!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    For the price I think I'm going to grab the Lee Pro 4000. One thing I like about Lee is how many accessories are out there for them.

I prefer the Lee classic cast turret. I don’t shoot enough of anyone particular caliber over the others to warrant a progressive press. But that’s just my preference.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I have been using two LEE Loadmasters besides my single stage RCBS presses (IV and Rebel). If you want flawless operation, don't get into these - however, for loading 5k to 10k rounds a years, and not minding the re-tuning once in a while, these worked great for me. I am loading 9mm, .40, .44, .45 and .223 on the Loadmasters, other calibers (.500, 45/70 etc.), I use my single stage presses.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    I load 15 calibres with a Lee classic turret and swapping out between calibres takes seconds once the dies are set up in their own turret.
    I use the on-press Lee safety prime and with the indexing rod in place for pistol calibres, I can crank out 175+ rounds an hour without breaking into a sweat.
    I remove the indexing rod when loading rifle calibres and just move the turret by hand which helps to monitor each stage.

ukrifleman.

LEE makes some nice stuff, but there progressive reloaders are not reliable.

reliable is important.

do it right, get the DILLON XL650/XL750

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    I do the same thing as ukrifleman and am totally satisfied with the Lee turret. The quick change from one caliber to the next is great.

When I was in your spot, I bought a Redding Turret press and haven't looked back. Of course, its no Dillon but I can put 7 dies on each turret and spin the turret quickly to select the die I need. Comes in VERY handy for working up a new cartridge or forming cases (i.e. 45-70 to .33 WCF).
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master

Dillion makes very good equipment and they definitely hold their resale value.

But a lot of guys buy one and then get the bill and end up selling them. I have seen a lot of 750's on the local gun trader.

Use what you can afford and like my Two LNL's will do anything that my SBD and 550 did.

I only a living for the guy's selling the equipment to US it's a hobby don't go in debt over it.

...a turret press on steroids.
    priced accordingly, of course_

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr...-henry-harrell
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 07-10-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: picture
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    If you don't like setting up dies on a single stage, you are going to hate setting up dies on a progressive press, especially to do a short run. You will have all the setup for a single stage plus setting up the powder measure and getting everything timed just so. I have 3 Hornady LNL progressives. One is set up for 45 Auto, the second 9mm, and the 3rd will most likely be 40 S&W. The 45 and the 9 are set up to load a specific bullet and powder charge. If I load for my BIL, or another caliber or different bullet, it's done on a single stage. Progressive presses in my mind only come into their own if you are loading over 250 rounds at a single setting. This is my observation, your results and other may be different.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast