Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Nice quiet vacation, then bam let's get busy!

Nice quiet vacation, then bam let's get busy!

Took a week off, first one in years.
    Started the week off with an annoying head cold, started feeling good yesterday, today almost 100% back to normal. Was nice just sitting around the homestead, no alarm clocks or bosses bugging me!
    Just a nice quiet week!

So last night decided to take the wife to a Saturday morning matinee, bought tickets then 5 minuets later bam!! Everybody calls.

Wife's girl friend calls, hey can you guys come get this car I promised you months ago, it's dead but I need it out of here to make room for the new one. Ok be over after the movie!

Then 5 minuets after that my youngest boy calls, Dad can I come out and visit with you guys, need a ride of course. Well sure, after the movie we'll come get you, then go get the car.

Then like 10 minuets later, my oldest boy calls, hey dad can we get together Saturday and go hit some stores for some hot wheels cars. My son and grandson are avid hot wheel collectors. I'm like well now I'm kind of busy Saturday, maybe Sunday? Unless you want to see your brother and come out this afternoon, skip the shopping and bbq some burgers and see if we can fix a car? He said he'd let me know.

Quiet all week now all this! Tried getting the boys together earlier in the week, but they were busy. Now on a Saturday everyone's free. And the car deal has been a saga in its own!

I guess everyone is getting me prepped for Mondays return to work?

Boolit Master
    Hah! What's a vacation?
    In my business,, (I own a small business, Animal Damage Control) unless I totally prepare for it,, there is no vacation time. Critters do not know what a weekend, a holiday, a vacation or any other thing is. And apparently,, many people don't respect it when I say; "It's a holiday (or whatever,) and expect immediate service.

But I do know what you mean.

Last weekend,, was a 4-day weekend for my wife. We live in a tourist trap area, that sees a HUGE influx of people daily. So,, we try hard to just stay home & NOT have to fight the horrible traffic caused by these tourists. (Our area; a single road, a 2-lane, for several miles through a scenic area, flooded with lookers, pointers, stoppers, & in general, inconsiderate people.)
    So, I plan my work to where I am not worried about checking or servicing traps causing me to have to fight the crowds.

But my return, I'm twice as busy, and of course, everybody wants their job done RIGHT NOW!

Once I go back to work, it's wide open playing catch up!

Boolit Master
    Seems most folks only know what they want. Not all, but most. I do the repair/emergency thing. If I have lots of plans, it's sure to be derailed. Just knock them out 1 at a time starting with the worse which is usually wild critter/flooding/smoke or sparks/flame and sometimes out cold on the floor. My favorite is "I smell gas (propane)" and my response is "Are you still in the house?" It's usually yes.

Simple solution to your problem.
    Put your phones in your gun safe for the duration of your vacation.

Moderator Emeritus

I used to take 2 weeks vacation over the 4th of July. Boss asked me where I was going to be in case they needed me. I told him "about 50 miles into no mans land in Northern MN in a canoe with no cell service" after that he quit asking. My vacation time means NO WORK PERIOD don't bother trying to call or find me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    What's a vacation? I was self employed - every time I wanted to take time off, had to work twice as much to get things so I could be gone and three times as hard to get caught up when I got back.

Glad you at least had some time off and a break from work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Simple solution to your problem.
    Put your phones in your gun safe for the duration of your vacation.
    The only problem with this idea is that when I’m home on days off is when I spend the most time in my gun safe!