RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CVA Accura LR-X in 45

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Once you get the charge you want, try putting a wad under the bullet. I use both a lubed felt and a card wad. Increases accuracy a bit more.

When shooting bullets that need to be upset into the rifling they need to be soft, 1:40 or so.
    Thanks for the tip Charlie. I do use a felt wad with a sold base boolit. My last test was with a hollow base so I figure the wad would just get pushed up there and I wouldn't expand the skirt at all.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    SSS, are you shooting pure lead or an alloy? I think I'm going to need a .453 sizer. Not familiar with these new Lee sizers but may have to give one a try.
    The new Lee sizer are just like the old ones, only they are a cheaper bushing, rather than an entire die. The push rods are the same, they operate the same.

When I cast pure lead I'm usually around 820 degrees F as a starting point. I hardly ever have to go higher than that, and often I'll back off to 780-800F when my molds get up to temp. Round ball you can get away with a much wider range, but 800-820 is a good range for bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Once you get the charge you want, try putting a wad under the bullet. I use both a lubed felt and a card wad. Increases accuracy a bit more.

When shooting bullets that need to be upset into the rifling they need to be soft, 1:40 or so.
    I see that one can buy "wonder wads" but, what others, or possibly card wads, are available? Fill me in on this subject, please gents. I'm brand new to black powder shooting. What supplies are out there?
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    You are correct. Minie type hollow base bullets to not get wads.

The card wads are used to keep the powder gasses from the base of the bullet. When fitted well they also 'scrape' a bit of fouling back down the barrel as they are seated. Lubed felt wads are for lube, especially important when shooting paper patched bullets since they do not carry any lube. The lube keeps the fouling softer.

Go to the Buffalo Arms Co website

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadin...ries/wads.html

Basically card wads (veggie fiber or cardboard or cork/gasket material), approx 1/16" thick.

Felt wads, usually 1/8" thcik, with or without lube. Felt can be just about anything. It is just to hold some lube.

Poly wads. Modern stuff but works really well. Use instead of card wads. I've used it in straight wall pistol cartridges, like .357mag, instead of gas checks.

For thicker you can also use the overpowder wads made for shotguns.
    Last edited by charlie b; 08-26-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you, good info there!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton