Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's the Favorite Primer tool ?

I took the time to do some research on this subject some 6 years back.

My answer was the RCBS Universal hand tool.

No swapping shell holders, it holds everything from .32acp to .444marlin.

My only complaint for years was I had to switch parts betweeen large and small primers. Until I got lucky and found a good used one for sale here. Now I have 2, my first which does large (and has all the parts)
    And my second which does small and is missing a couple of parts but only cost me half.

So now I am truly happy. I can load primers in a tray, pick up a batch of mixed brass from the range, and prime and sort them as I go.
    No switching nuttin but brass.

And I have learned that just a little smear of sizing lube on the main shaft keeps all actions smooth and easy.
    I like the fact that I can tell by feel when a primer is seated correctly.

Your mileage may vary but that is what works for me.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

RCBS universal hand primer for me with everything except 8mm Lebel. I pull out my old Lee press mounted priming set up for that.

Boolit Master
    I use the RCBS Bench primmer tool for rifle and my Dillon 550 for pistol, I don't see a need for anything else.

Old Lee Autoprime with the round tray. I use two, one set up for LRP and one for SRP. I prime my handgun ammo on my Dillon and Lyman presses.

Boolit Master

30+ years on an RCBS Bench prime using the tubes.

Boolit Bub
    Lee bench prime. As said earlier, lift handle all the way up.

Boolit Master

'Bout a year and a half ago, I got a deal on a lightly used RCBS bench tool...my two Lee Auto-Primes (one for LP and one for SP) haven't been out of their storage bin since.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Baltimoreed;5426419]Old Lee Autoprime with the round tray. I use two, one set up for LRP and one for SRP.

Ditto, since 1979....Though most of my priming happens on Lee progressives. I have 3 of these permanently set up for 38/357, 44/44mag and 45Colt
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I use a RCBS APS strip bench mounted primer majority of the time.
    I've tried many different ones, and the best handheld is the old, round tray, Lee prime.
    For some reason, it has the easiest lever to push.
    Not liking any of the newer Lee hand primes.
    I'm still trying to get the hang of that thing. 500 cases in and I wonder if it's worth the hassle of loading the strips.

Super Moderator

I'm another fan of the RCBS bench mounted tool. I have previously used the Lee hand tool with the round tray, and pretty much wore it out. It worked well though. I then tried a couple of the RCBS hand priming tools, and wasn't very impressed. I'm sticking with the RCBS bench mounted tool. I have it mounted on a 1x block of wood so I can swap it around with my Dillon Super Swage tool.

RCBS 90200, Twenty years and still works great. The cast aluminum frame refuses to brake! Cheap and easy and small to large primer change is two minutes. I do a hundred at a time, If more is ever needed I would look into the bench mount rcbs as others have posted.
    Last edited by super6; 07-06-2022 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Left some content out
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the old Lee round tray hand primer for many years and like it.. After hearing that replacement parts were getting hard to find and knowing mine is probably overdue to break, I bought a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer for a spare.
    I've heard fairly good reviews on the FA priming tool. I've had mine a couple of years now and I've never tried it. If/when the old Lee breaks one day I know I've got a backup!

Boolit Grand Master

I have two :
    1.) Old round tray Lee priming tool , still working but has tape in places , glue on some parts and it's getting old .
    2.) The Lee Hand Press with the Ram-Prime priming tool that came with the Lee Hand Press .
    Actually makes a dandy hand priming tool , everything is metal nothing to break ... no safety features to hang up primers and no mickey mouse plastic parts or folding tray parts that is so flimsey it doesn't look like it will last .
    Yeah ... the hand press and Ram-Prime is a simple fool-proof all metal , strong set up ...
    I think I really like it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Great thread! I'm a collector of priming tools (OK, a hoarder) and for my Schuetzen rifles I usually use are Pope style made by the late Jerry Simmons. I like them because they both remove the fired primer and seat the fresh one. for everything else my go-to hand priming tool tends to be the venerable Lee aluminum body tool with screw-in shell holders. They haven't been made for decades but are still actively bought and sold at gun shows and on auction sites. I've attempted to build up a lifetime supply of tools and shell holders.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ing-tool/page2

Here's an earlier dissection of priming tools.

I still use the RCBS bench tool, even think there's a spare on a shelf somewhere. And I think there is the Lee that took the screw in shell holders out there also.

20 and under get done on the Rockchucker or the T-Mag, one at a time with the priming arm. First loads of a new to me cartridge or small batch test loads.

Volume priming is done with the RCBS Bench primer or on Dillon's for full progressive loading.

Boolit Master
    I have some question please.
    What the difference of RCBS hand tool and, RCBS Universal hand tool?

Are all pickup tubes the same? How do you load them? (for the bench tool)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB02909C-5663-4B23-9B5E-7D13B04148D7.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	301862
    Was given one of the RCBS hand priming tools. A beautiful piece of aluminum engineering that is impossible to comfortably use. I can’t figure it out no matter how I hold it. Tried it a couple times to prime 300 blkout and went back to the good old Autoprime. I have had to jbweld broken thumb levers with 1/8 aluminum plates several times. They seem to be holding up.

Boolit Master

RCBS bench mount tool

I extende the handle a bit due to some physical limitations on my part
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I use the round tray Lee, got two of 'em one for large one for small. One day they're gonna break beyond repair. Worry about that then.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast