Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cast my first batch yesterday - how wrinkled is too wrinkled

Boolit Master
    GET OUT OF THE KIDS PLAY AREA. I find sprue all over the place in my shop and splatter . Kids like to pick up shiney stuff and play with it.

Boolit Master
    Make sure everyone in the house is getting a good vitamin-C supplement too. Vitamin-C will help block absorption.

I have 6 kids, and constantly worry about the possible effects of my hobby. I contain it to the garage, sweep after every session, etc. But, just this morning, I found a tiny splatter on my bedroom floor that had probably ridden into the house on the cuff of my jeans.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

casting

for what your doing water cooling may make them to hard.when you get over 2000fts then you harden them.I shoot WW and dont harden.you have enuf to learn with out adding another action .and if you shoot pistol like your doing some wrinkles won't matter,at this stage.even rifle bullets that have flaws will shoot up to 100 yds.
    I like LEEs 6 cavity but I use a stone on faces and deburr all edges with fine file.

take iron tablet and zinc tablet if you have raised level of lead.
    dont smoke ,dont eat and dont drink and wash your hands after.
    WILDCATT

I no longer water drop my 45 and 9mm bullets as I shoot mid-range loads. But, if you are going to do so, I'd recommend that you take an old bath towel, cut a slit in it and attach it to the top of your bucket with a bungie cord. I used to put the bottom part of the towel in the water so it was wet and drop away. This will keep water from splashing on you and your mold.

Cloudpeak

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    GET OUT OF THE KIDS PLAY AREA. I find sprue all over the place in my shop and splatter . Kids like to pick up shiney stuff and play with it.
    Noted and agreed. I've moved the production system into the garage.

For what it's worth, I have been pretty good about cleaning up after a session of smelting or casting. This has been based on the kids playing out there, and also to keep my wife from coming to dislike my new hobby.

As I learned with my home brewing, if I clean up after myself, I don't get the evil eye when I mention I'm going to do it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12