RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1" Cannon Ball mold custom made

Cannon's & Mortars ClassicCannons's Avatar

1" Cannon Ball mold custom made

Here's a neat mold i had made would this be better in ductile cast iron since most molds are cast iron thanks the specs are below the bottom link is to more pictures on my webpage

Last edited by 45nut; 01-29-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Master

HEY! That is a dang cool looking mold!
    Heavy.
    I wonder, if an alignment pin near the handles might make it not wear in time.
    Great job.
    I like aluminum molds personally. All mine are Lee.
    Good job on that one.

Super Moderator

...............The cavity looks like a mirror! SUperb work.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a 4 bore muzzle loader
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

you will need pins when it gets hot will be hard to keep lined up check out-- jeff tanner --he makes the best round ball mold out there shotman

Boolit Buddy

Very nice work. I like the way you set up your hinge point for that mould.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Master
    I would put 2 alinement pins in it with a bushing on the other half . Just to keep things lined up as the screws might loosen up with the heating and cooling a mould takes .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

mould

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    HEY! That is a dang cool looking mold!
    Heavy.
    I wonder, if an alignment pin near the handles might make it not wear in time.
    Great job.
    I like aluminum molds personally. All mine are Lee.
    Good job on that one.

The mold really isn't that heavy

Quote Originally Posted by IcerUSA View Post
    I would put 2 alinement pins in it with a bushing on the other half . Just to keep things lined up as the screws might loosen up with the heating and cooling a mould takes .

Keith
    Hi Keith
    I had had that problem before on this one the 1/4-28 allen screws tread into the handle and their is a roll pin in the hinge which i had changed to a stainless steel.After i did that they were fine but later i had just stoped making them with hinges & handles and just gave the mold cavity for free when people bought the 1" mortars and in those i did have the piolet pins which were also roll pin their was just to much work in milling out the hinge socket Thanks for the input Austin

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............The cavity looks like a mirror! SUperb work.

................Buckshot
    Thanks buck shot i had used 1600 grit wet dry and then polished them and then faced off the face of the mold to the correct depth Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IcerUSA View Post

Keith

I had had that problem before on this one the 1/4-28 allen screws tread into the handle and their is a roll pin in the hinge which i had changed to a stainless steel.After i did that they were fine but later i had just stoped making them with hinges & handles and just gave the mold cavity for free when people bought the 1" mortars and in those i did have the piolet pins which were also roll pin their was just to much work in milling out the hinge socket Thanks for the input Austin

Hinge

Quote Originally Posted by 45&30-30 View Post
    Very nice work. I like the way you set up your hinge point for that mould.
    After a few diffrent styles i had tried this one worked the best because the wide openining on the off set hinge pin and the play in the joint was none I had later milled a key slot in the cavity for the hinge and tat worked out great Thanks Austin

What do the balls measure at after casting? I have a 1" bore rifled British Wall Gun and a Jeff Tanner mold. The balls from it drop at 1.040". Can you tweak the cavity size a little and what do you get for them?

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    What do the balls measure at after casting? I have a 1" bore rifled British Wall Gun and a Jeff Tanner mold. The balls from it drop at 1.040". Can you tweak the cavity size a little and what do you get for them?
    Hello I can make the mold cavity to the size you need this mold cast out the ball at 1.002 because its aluminum and i had machined at .500 radius and when its heated it expands i can reduce the radius to .499 for a .998 ball spherically thats why i had wanted to change them to cast iron I had also added the set pin

Plaster cast was 1.000

lead cast was 1.002

mic out at .500 radius
    Last edited by 45nut; 01-29-2009 at 12:59 PM.

reply on specs to 1" mold 1.002

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    Hello I can make the mold cavity to the size you need this mold cast out the ball at 1.002 because its aluminum and i had machined at .500 radius and when its heated it expands i can reduce the radius to .499 for a .998 ball spericaly thats why i had wanted to change them to cast iron I had also added the set pin
    Plaster cast was 1.000

lead cast was 1.002

mic out at .500 radius
    Last edited by 45nut; 01-29-2009 at 01:00 PM.

I will keep in touch, I would rather wait for the iron. How close are you on them?

Mold

Hi again i can make a steel one what size do you need .998 1.000 or more under size just let me know and i'll start one and email the results on the finished ball size thanks Austin

I'm looking for a 2.5" mold for my 3/4 scale six pounder. The 3lb salmon sinker molds (Dixie), I'm now using are casting about 1/8" small. Can you make a mold this size?
    Morgan

Boolit Mold
    I use a cannonball fish sinker mold. 3 oz. is just under 1" and 4 oz. is just over 1". I'm not casting for accuracy, and mostly I just shoot "blanks" in this pup.

1" drawn over mandrel steam tube, improvised a jig for the trunnions, everything else is out of the hardware store, odds/ends.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon."

July 4th, Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day . . . And when I have guests.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master

That is nice work, but making the hinge as part of the mold adds both material and labor that is needed every time you make a mold and a point of wear that is your only alignment method.
    What will keep the halves aligned when the hinge wears?

From the amount of work and materials I see, you must be working for minimum wage.