Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you like about wad cutters?

Boolit Master
    I wonder how Longshot would do with that 160 grain wadcutter in a .357 Mag case? I like the boom of Longshot, and hoping it will do well with more of the case filled with lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnbrian View Post
    Now I just have to find a nice lever in 357/38....at a decent price!
    Cheers
    Brian
    I can’t say how a Marlin, Henry or other lever actions do with wadcutters but they do turn my 38/357 Rossi lever action into a double feed jam-o-matic.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I shot Bullseye, .38 WC's were all I loaded, but I will never load another. It is a great target bullet but a terrible all round bullet. My preference is to use one bullet for .38/.357 pistols and rifles. In fact, I use one load in .38 Spl cases for everything. It keeps things simple. I do not hunt with those guns so my needs are putting holes in paper or clanging steel.

"Tailoring" loads with different alloys, bullets and/or different guns is an interesting pastime for most reloaders. I used to do it and realized it was not important for what and how I shoot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If you're interested in a boolit that will take up space in the 357 case but still be compatible with speedloaders, check out the Accurate 36-159S. It's a NLG design with a small nose radius, high crimp groove, and wide meplat.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I can’t say how a Marlin, Henry or other lever actions do with wadcutters but they do turn my 38/357 Rossi lever action into a double feed jam-o-matic.
    Are you using 38 brass or 357? My Rossi 92 in 357 will double feed with WC in 38 brass, but works great with them in 357. I load them with 1/8" or a little more outside the case. My 44 Rossi 92 works great with wc loaded the same way. My molds are hbwc from MP and they all get loaded backwards. Water filled targets are lots of fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Are the grease grooves round? If so, I just might be short $100 momentarily
    Okay ... just to make sure I double checked some ... The bottom of the grease grooves are round bottomed just like the Lyman design . Also NOE makes this design in 38 cal - 41 cal - 44 cal . and 45 cal. !!!
    I bought a three cavity in 41 cal. for my 41 Special / 41 Magnum loads (NOE 413 - 215 - WC ) and it's an accuracy winner also .
    All calibers are ( let's say might be available) available with hollow point / flat point pins , plain base or gas check if you are into hollow points .
    Both my 38 cal. and 41 cal. are standard solid point , plain base , 3 cavity , aluminum and cast like a dream .... worth every penny .
    Also order a top punch(s) when you order the mould(s) ... sure beats trying to find them on e-bay .
    The crimping groove is a properly shaped standard crimp groove for a roll crimp .
    Whatever they don't have in stock , request an inventory run on the forum to get the ball rolling .
    Hope this helps ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    Are you using 38 brass or 357? My Rossi 92 in 357 will double feed with WC in 38 brass, but works great with them in 357. I load them with 1/8" or a little more outside the case. My 44 Rossi 92 works great with wc loaded the same way. My molds are hbwc from MP and they all get loaded backwards. Water filled targets are lots of fun.
    I’ve only used flush seated in 38 brass. I’ll follow your lead and try your method. Being that temperatures are peaking at 110+ here in Phoenix. It will be a few months before my casting and shooting resume.

Full WC make a nice hole in paper but so do SWC. So I have no real use for a WC.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I've had 2 Marlins in .357. A old style long barrel CB and a carbine.
    They aren't real crazy about cast .38s in general, but they both really hate wad cutters, at least in .38 brass.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Good to know! I guess I'll have to sell off the swaging kit...I don't think I'd ever get an RPAL...not into all the government BS. So no pistols for me...maybe a couple of antique revolvers...
    I like 32 cal better anyways lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Mostly what everyone else said. They are accurate and easy load. And you don't have to have wadcutter brass!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123