Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Does Ackley's "Handbook" (Vol 1) Have .22 K-Hornet Loads?

Does Ackley's "Handbook" (Vol 1) Have .22 K-Hornet Loads?

Probably not the right place to post this question.

I recently picked up a Winchester Model 54 that was originally chambered for .22 Hornet, but has been rebarreled with a stainless steel barrel in .22 K-Hornet. I would like to find some good cast and jacketed loads for it (twist is 1:14").

There are plenty of loads here and there on the 'net, but I'm curious if Ackley covered this cartridge?

TIA.
    If somebody were down on the corner handing out $20 bills, someone else would be complaining that it wasn't two $10s.

Boolit Master
    Yes he does. 2400, 4198, 4227 powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Check your bore diameter, the original model 54 barrels were .223" not.224".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd be very cautious using any loads from Ackley's books in modern brass. Somewhere in the dim recesses of memory, I recall that .22 Hornet brass was strengthened (thus reducing case volume) around 1950 or so.

It might have been in Ken Waters' Pet Loads that I read that, I'm not sure.

Robert

I politely call BS!
    These book writing guys are often inaccurate, I like Ken Waters, got all his books too but he ain't the holy grail of handloads. Modern hornet brass is plenty strong, have shot many thousands of rounds in both 22 K and 17 K hornet rifles without one, read it, not one issue! Have brass that has been loaded and shot 10 times or more and still going strong. Just neck size cases each time and they will last ya a long time. On occasion you will get a split neck because Hornet necks are thin, about .011 but this happens very, very seldom. I turn necks as well and still they hold up very well. Those old time powders mentioned are not the best either as we have come a long way with the newer stuff! 4198 yes, great hornet powder but a pain to throw charges. Load with ease using AA1680 and 40 grain BT bullets and have a ball, you can't over charge either one..40 grain BT bullets and 13.0 grains will get you started with no pressure, work up from there. I shoot several bolt rifles, mostly Coopers and Cz rifles and never had a stuck case or tight bolt. I once had a Ruger 22 hornet that I reamed out to K Hornet. Put so many rounds down the barrel I lost count but at least 8000 or more and accuracy was still great.. If you don't buy what I'm saying just ask any serious hornet varmint shooter making bench rest accuracy handloads....That model 54 is a damn good rifle and if the chamber was cut correctly should give you no issues, enjoy it! - Can't help you with lead...

Boolit Master
    IIRC the loads for k-hornet were pretty hot with IMR 4227 when I tried them 30 years ago.
    About the only loads I had to go off at the time.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 06-10-2022 at 04:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The Ackley books are the only reloading manuals the I have gotten rid of. Lot of pressure and BS velocity info in them. The Hodgdon site has the best 22 K-Hornet data I have found. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-10-2022 at 02:01 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

A big fan of Ackley and Waters, but I do agree on using loading data from reputable modern day sources.

Boolit Master
    The Ackley books remain excellent reference sources, but most of the data was only reprinted material that had been forwarded to Ackley by others: cartridge developers, wildcatters, etc., certainly not verified and pressure tested data. The books shouldn't be considered as regular load manuals. Ken Waters data was fired by Ken Waters and often corresponds with more current data, but it's still a good idea to check against modern paper-published load data.

Boolit Buddy
    My Son gets 3300 fps with 35 grain bullet and Lill'Gun K Hornet in Martini Cadet.

I shoot a 22k hornet in Thompson Contender. Excellent performance and accuracy using Lil gun powder. I am finding I get outstanding accuracy without getting anywhere near maximum loads.