RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the Purpose of Pointy Boolits?

Boolit Master

What is the Purpose of Pointy Boolits?

There was recently a thread in Swappin' and Sellin' with some pointed 38spl boolits. Very pointy, like the corner of a square with hypotenuse the length of the bullet diameter. What is the intended purpose of such a design? Additional penetration? Some kind of aerodynamic benefit?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    . . . What is the intended purpose of such a design? Additional penetration? Some kind of aerodynamic benefit?
    High velocity commercial 357 Magnum loads were available with conical point boolits from the late 30s and into the 60s if not 70s, for police use for penetration of auto bodies and possibly structures. 38 Specials possibly too, but I've only seen 357 cartridges and ads for them. Cast boolit molds were available in conical profile and nominal .358 diameter in the 120 - 130 gr weight range. I recall owning such a Lyman mold in the early 70s for a time, but forgot the mold #.

Boolit Master
    That makes sense! It's interesting to see solutions from the past outside of their original context.

It does make me wonder how well modern 9mm defense cartridges penetrate car bodies...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

That makes sense! It's interesting to see solutions from the past outside of their original context.

It does make me wonder how well modern 9mm defense cartridges penetrate car bodies...

.38Specials had, and still have a hard time killing a car. When the .357Mag came along, its added penetration was one
    of the reasons it was such an instant hit for law enforcement.

There's some hot rod 9mm that does OK on the penetration a car, but they still slow down enough to be
    less effective at stopping bad guys inside it compared to a .357.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    High velocity commercial 357 Magnum loads were available with conical point boolits from the late 30s and into the 60s if not 70s, for police use for penetration of auto bodies and possibly structures. 38 Specials possibly too, but I've only seen 357 cartridges and ads for them. Cast boolit molds were available in conical profile and nominal .358 diameter in the 120 - 130 gr weight range. I recall owning such a Lyman mold in the early 70s for a time, but forgot the mold #.
    it is the H&G # 73. The H&G catalog from back in the day says "#73 -.38 S&W Special. 145 grains. "Improved #64." Available in plain or bevel base or gas check base. One rounded grease groove, one crimp groove, semi-wadcutter shoulder, straight taper nose, to meplat. "Carl Haines says it is the best.38 bullet he has used. Shoots plenty of 95's with it. Another customer says "machine rest tested #73 and 30 different bullets (designs) --#73 was the most accurate" April 19, 1940."
    I like that bullet. It IS very accurate.
    It also looks cool, but that really doesn't count.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

my uncle was law enforcement and was forced to use his 9mm on a car that was trying to run him down.
    he put 3 on the windshield and they bounced off...as of the next day retired the 9mm and got a 10mm auto.

so to answer your question on..."It does make me wonder how well modern 9mm defense cartridges penetrate car bodies" .....they don't

Boolit Master

Dean Grennell was a gun writer in the 80's and 90's and he wrote several articles about those "pointy bullet molds" in his books. I think they do a great job punching paper as I own several Lyman molds in 32, 35 and 45 caliber in that design and had a fellow shooter on this forum make me some swage dies as well to allow me to make the same profiled bullets in 30 and 9mm.

That said, I don't try to punch holes in car body panels so I can't say how well they penetrate but they do make a nice crisp hole in the paper.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In 1968, while on an outing with the Explorer Scouts, a group of us were held at gunpoint by a deranged rancher, armed with a 38 special. He fired a warning shot into the door of a 68 Ford Torino, and it penetrated diagonally, coming to rest next to the door frame post.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    it is the H&G # 73. The H&G catalog from back in the day says "#73 -.38 S&W Special. 145 grains. "Improved #64." Available in plain or bevel base or gas check base. One rounded grease groove, one crimp groove, semi-wadcutter shoulder, straight taper nose, to meplat. "Carl Haines says it is the best.38 bullet he has used. Shoots plenty of 95's with it. Another customer says "machine rest tested #73 and 30 different bullets (designs) --#73 was the most accurate" April 19, 1940."
    I like that bullet. It IS very accurate.
    It also looks cool, but that really doesn't count.
    I checked my notebook. It was Lyman's 356402, 120 gr. It dropped .357/.358 so I ran it unsized.

Noah

Boolit Master

Honestly, I'm not sure why one would go full pointy with a cast handgun bullet. It would likely be a hassle to lube size; you'd probably damage the noses tumble lubing; and would have to store/transport accordingly to prevent rounding them over. If cast hard enough, there would be penetration advantages, but not on the level of the old, outlawed KTW's.

Modern HP duty loads vs. cars. . .

They all pretty much suck on the FBI's windshield test, which is a 45-degrees-off-of-vertical slant with (if I remember correctly) a 10 or 15 degree side tilt to simulate an officer stepping to the side of an oncoming car that's trying to run him over. Typically, you lose your jacket along with about 25-30% of your bullet mass to the glass and end up with a misshapen chunk of lead that looks like a gray blob of chewed bubble gum. Penetration of the gel block afterwards is typically compromised down to either not quite or just barely making the 12" minimum standard. It's about the only area left where the bigger bullets are advantageous - more mass going in equals more mass coming out - but in handgun terms, they all suffer greatly on glass. 12 gauge slugs are the better choice in that game - you may lose 100-150 grains of lead on the glass, but there's 300 more where they came from . . .

The auto BODY test I think falls a bit short of simulating reality, but I don't know how you'd do that given all the different materials used to make different cars and all the angles they might get shot from. The test is simply two layers of the specified sheet steel set a couple inches apart and shot at a 90-degree perpendicular angle. The most common result of this is that the steel causes the hollowpoints to collapse in on themselves, after which the bullet penetrates the gelatin block completely, just like an FMJ would. The shotgun slugs are actually pretty cool in that they cookie-cutter themselves a disc of steel that rides on the nose to the end of travel through the gel. Obviously, shallower angles, rounded noses, and low handgun speeds all have the ability to change that result significantly.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE .358 mold. Here's the description from their website - "The 360-136-SP-BG4-72 is a 4 Cavity Brass mould. This mould drops a .360 caliber Plain Base 136 grain bullet with a Spire point profile type. A Carl F. Hudson design for the 38 Special and 357."

It works well for shooting paper...

"https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/bullet-moulds/358/360-136-sp-bg4/360-136-sp-bg4-4-cavity-pb-brass/

Boolit Master

I load mine with 10 grains 2400 in .38spl brass out of a 1967 Ruger Blackhawk with 6 1/2 barrel. . Very accurate. Out of my 2 1/2" Ruger Sec 6 Not so good. Perhaps a faster powder.
    www.mattsbullets.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35893loaddata.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	301136
    Last edited by Electrod47; 06-10-2022 at 02:55 PM.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Some "pointy bullets" were so designed to have "adequate" aerodynamic stability on the way to the target, but to be "tail-happy" and engage in "yaw" on impact. I'm not sure that any .38 Spl./.357 Mag. projectiles were ever designed with this behaviour in mind, but I've read several times that certain of the .455 Webley rounds and the .38/200 rounds that replaced them were loaded with soft lead bullets designed to do act in exactly this way.
    When the Brits got caught running afoul of the Hague Convention requiring FMJ projectiles, the soft lead bullets were replaced with FMJs. This decreased the efficacy of both rounds, though with the .455, it hardly mattered. With the .38/200 (actually, a .38/178 with the FMJs), the decrease was apparently enough to make the Brits look more seriously at the 9mm.
    At least that's the way that I remember the story...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

May want to take tiptoe through this thread:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...9-Lyman-429303

I just looked at a four cavity 429303 mold for $50. Probably should have bought it.

Just what I need, a second 44 Mag mold. And I don't even own a 44 Mag.

But it is a cool mold. Isn't that enough of a reason?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    I checked my notebook. It was Lyman's 356402, 120 gr. It dropped .357/.358 so I ran it unsized.

Noah
    That is a direct copy of the original 9mm German bullet. It is accurate.
    The pointy ones I saw referred to had no meplate, flat spot, at all but ended like they had just seen a pencil sharpener. I have heard stories of their accuracy but believed them to be more gimmick for most shooters.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I've actually had a car to shoot at with my .357 and .45. I was quite surprised, given the reputation, that very few bullets penetrated to the interior or into the engine compartment. There is a lot of 'stuff' in a car door that stops or severely deforms/deflects bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I shoot those "pointy" boolits in all my revolvers and long guns 38/44/45! They look cooooooooooooooooool!

Many times, they will not cycle properly in semi auto hand guns due to profile and COL.

banger

Boolit Master

Right on. The bullet they were talking about was the 358093 Lyman, not the H&G73 or the Lyman 356402.

The original design was the 429303 for the .44 Magnum by Ray Thompson for metal penetration. Then, Lyman came out with the 35893 (changed to the 358093 for ease of use in a database) for the .357 Magnum. I've had good luck with both at magnum velocities but so so luck at lower velocities. Both have grease grooves grooves that hold too much lube. I experienced lube "boogers" on the traget face at 100 yards. Both are hard to cast as the deep lube grooves tend to hold on to the square grooves and are hard to get to drop./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    I load mine with 10 grains 2400 in .38spl brass out of a 1967 Ruger Blackhawk with 6 1/2 barrel. . Very accurate. Out of my 2 1/2" Ruger Sec 6 Not so good. Perhaps a faster powder.
    www.mattsbullets.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35893loaddata.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	301136
    Last edited by beagle; 06-10-2022 at 11:28 PM. Reason: correct miss spelling
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

There was recently a thread in Swappin' and Sellin' with some pointed 38spl boolits. Very pointy, like the corner of a square with hypotenuse the length of the bullet diameter. What is the intended purpose of such a design? Additional penetration? Some kind of aerodynamic benefit?
    I saw the thread you are talking about. I have a swaging die that makes a bullet very similar to the one you are talking about. The one I have has a hollow base to match the point and is meant for forming light weight stackable bullets. I use it to reform 158 grn bullet into a type of hollow base wadcutter.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I have Lee 6 cavity that drops one that is the twin to that Lyman mold.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast